Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 11:10:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 6v92 puking oil. advice needed  (Read 5301 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 08:02:59 AM »

Might also check to see that there are not 2 rubber gaskets on the filter. Sometimes the old one will stick (stay stuck to the filter housing), and the mechanic will slap a new filter on over it! This will always cause a leak! BTDT! (& fixed it other times too!)
FWIW!              Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:32 AM »

I agree with everyone else. If it didn't leak before the service, it's probable that the filter, drain plug  or filler cap is loose. It would be quite a coincidence if a seal turned loose immediately following a service.

You should be able to see them without getting too far under the bus. Maybe try to clean it up then run it and try to see where it's coming from.

The double gasket thought is also a good theory.

One of the valve covers should have a vent on it. The vent has a steel wool type guard in it. If the above fails, pull the vent out and clean it.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

I would go with both Tom and BK it will be one or the other.

Don
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »

Thanks for the advice..  The mechanic at Freightliner said the feed line to the turbo developed a pin hole.. They think they can have one of two lines in Texas here tomorrow.  Guess we'll 'camp' at Valero tonight. 

Patience is a hard lesson to learn at times..

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »

Timing and coincidence...how funny is that!
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2009, 06:19:29 PM »

Well, we are more-or-less on the road again, camped 10 miles from the Freightline shop.  Lord Willing we are headed to the Left Coast eventually.

The mechanic was chatting with me while he pulled the old line off, it had a nice worn hole in the metal braid and a cute little hole in the rubber.  When I moved it from their yard into the shop it dumped 1 gal in less than three minutes or so.  Imagine what would have happened if I'd not stumbled on the fresh coat of oil on the rear of the rig.

Got a picture, but my newfangled android phone won't D/L pictures to my Mac yet.  

Thanks for all the support and advice.  =)

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:23:00 PM by MattC » Logged

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2009, 07:47:16 PM »

Matt,

Do you have the temp and oil pressure warning light and alarm installed?

You are right..that would have been a heart breaker and a wallet buster.

Happy trails,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 08:00:43 PM »

Thanks for sharing MattC, it highlights an excellent point:

We need to INSPECT our coaches.

Rubbed hoses are self inflicted disablements.

Get a bag, maybe two, of those plastic wire ties, and secure everything that hangs or loops, or otherwise isn't held hard up against something. hoses and wiring will rub through and put you to the side of the road, or worse!

Vibration is your enemy.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2009, 03:28:53 AM »

Matt,

Are you heading this way when you get 'er fixed? Who's doing the paint? Can't wait to see it.

Glad to hear you got your bleeding diagnosed, that sucks don't it.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »

Matt,

Do you have the temp and oil pressure warning light and alarm installed?

You are right..that would have been a heart breaker and a wallet buster.

Happy trails,

John

John,

I don't have Silverleaf or such, but my MCI does have a couple dozen idiot lights on the dash.   After I realized she was puking and put another gallon in her, I kept a steady watch (every couple seconds) on the temps and the oil pressure gauges.  Temps and Oil pressure never deviated from normal. 

I actually hadn't planned on stopping for another hour which would have been cut short by a severe lack of HP and a large BOOM, no doubt.

The Lord watches out for children and idiots.  Glad I qualify. =)

Matt

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2009, 08:55:42 AM »

BW,

Yes I agree INSPECT---Inspect!  The hose wore through the Stainless Steel braid then the corded rubber.  However I plan on finding the rub area and putting an external piece of hose around the SS as a sacrificial abrasion barrier.

Paul,

As to the paint job....  Dick in Beaumont said I could use his shed to paint her, however it will be a learning process, so...  I figure it can't look worse than the Yellow/White/Aluminum colors she has now.  I plan on heading over to Dallas & Cat's place for some coffee, then up to your neck of the woods before heading out to the 'left coast'.  =)

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:26 AM »

Matt;

Glad it was something simple. That could have been a bad dea if you had not been looking.

Hope the trip goes as planed from here on out.

Don
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2009, 11:37:58 AM »

Matt,

Back in the day...50's and 60's automakers came out with "idiot" lites.  Modern marvel!  Among us aspiring auto enthusiasts, these were looked upon with scorn.  We wanted the real manly man deal and "needed" info to the actual degree or psi.  I was still a teen when I read about the "big red lite" on the dash of all go-fast-racers.  Seemed it was driven by a low pressure/temp switch, idiot lite senders and gave an alarm for those things.  Read a comment by one of the popular auto racing writers where he said that there has been instance in recorded history of a driver having been looking at a oil pressure gauge when the pressure failed abruptly and the engine was destroyed.  Made sense.

I have all the gauges a man could ever want on my RV.  Trans temp, oil temp, differential temp, water temp, brake system failure, voltage, exhaust manifold temp, air fuel ratio mix, fuel pressure, vaciuum and ambient.  I also have that Big Red Light AND a really obnoxious buzzer.  The idiot senders are merged and drive a cube relay.  The relay drives the light/buzzer.  I have a switch to disable the system for start-up and for those occasions where I want the ig sw on for some reason.  I have installed this system on my Rv and the replacement cost of the 440 is a mere $3K.  With an engine that cost $15K I think I would want multi camera feed closed circuit tv in the engine bay.  Now that is a joke but I do intend to install a microphone someplace back there so I can listen to the power plant every once in a while while driving and at startup.  These buses can be very quiet and you might never hear a severe problem in the making.  By the time you hear it in the cockpit it is probably to late and the usual indication is that everything goes silent.  Boo Hoo Hoo!

My two cents,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:36 PM »

Detroit used a rubber line to feed oil to the turbo on the 6V92?

My Series 60 has a hard metal line to feed the turbo.  I still got a hole in my metal line because a support bracket for the line broke and the jagged edge cut into the line.  The leak wasn't large enough to prevent me from driving 800 miles to Bryce's where he fixed it.  Bryce used brake line and couplers to fix the line since a new one was not readily available.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2009, 07:30:04 PM »

Belfert, they use a short pc of SS braided hose the line is steel around the turbo till it gets away from the heat if they are clamped right it has less problems than a all steel line.  

good luck
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:32:38 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: