Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 10:06:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sceniccruiser parting out  (Read 5196 times)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2009, 07:47:27 AM »

Copied from GMC-Busnuts yahoo group:

Posted by: "LOUIS" lohern1966@yahoo.com   lohern1966
Mon Nov 9, 2009 3:51 pm (PST)

- am parting out a 1955 gm super senic cruiser.6v92 with 5k miles on it.you can hear it run .drove the bus from california to arkansas 3 -ears ago.ran perfect.still does.been started and run every month.hot batteries .will run right now.lot of parts to sell cheap.870-919-0462

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 04:56:28 AM »

Hey Aaron,
Here's a good 'un for you - Fix the air leaks & put a new brake valve on it & drive her home!
$5k would take it.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 06:47:16 AM »

Any pics?

Any chance it could sell complete cheap? Real cheap?

I'm as cheap as they get, but I have to admit the Scenic is one bus I have always loved! Grin

(yes Kyle I said that! But of the 2 buses I have always dreamed of owning, the Setra S417 won as it was a $ maker! Grin )
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 09:24:47 AM »

$5K is what he feels he will net if he parts it out/ scraps it, so that is the selling price for the whole thing.

BK, That is a very fair price if you can drive it home with just fixing the air leaks & brake pedal valve. He said they drove it around the yard & had to use the spring brake to stop it.

If the 13 speed, 8V71, & radiator are half as good as he said, it is easily worth the money.

It was a southeastern greyhound while in service, so it had the best service. . . . .

Definitely should be saved . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 09:56:46 AM »

$5K is what he feels he will net if he parts it out/ scraps it, so that is the selling price for the whole thing.

BK, That is a very fair price if you can drive it home with just fixing the air leaks & brake pedal valve. He said they drove it around the yard & had to use the spring brake to stop it.

If the 13 speed, 8V71, & radiator are half as good as he said, it is easily worth the money.

It was a southeastern greyhound while in service, so it had the best service. . . . .

Kyle I agree $5,000.00 is a very reasonable price for it! But drive it home or not $5,000.00 is very hard for me to scrape up these days! (before we bought those 2 '05 Setra's I might have gotten away with it, but now days I'm a poor busnut! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 10:33:41 AM »

put it on the layaway Cheesy

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
scenicruiser997

Owner of two Scenicruisers and one PD4905 Buffalo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:57:32 AM »

Same way here, Just a poor Busnut after giving Uncle Sam another $4800.00 Seems the wife forgot to have enough taken out last year and our poor Uncle needed his share.  So there went the extra bus fare this year.  I looked at the pics Kyle and this old girl is ROUGH "Ruff".  Forget about the insides.  Not bad looking outside.  If I had it Kyle I might even think about it, but I have never payed that much for either of my Scenicruisers.  Unless you add in the Landoll transportation cost across country.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:36:24 AM by scenicruiser997 » Logged

Aaron
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »

Where Are The Pictures???  Wasnt There Some Pictures Of The Bus Here??   I Thought I Saw Some Last Week???

I Also Would Love To Own One Of These GMC Buses. Its Been A Long Life DREAM Of Mine To.

I Gotta See Some Pictures.. Before I Can Open Up MY Safe. Cheesy
10-4

JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
scenicruiser997

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 08:38:00 AM »

Here are four more.

Aaron
scenicruiser997

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 08:39:29 AM »

Last two.

Aaron
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 10:05:52 AM »

Thanks For The Extra Pictures....WOW. The Old Girl Looks Sad Cry

There Is NO Way You Should Part This Bus Out.!!!. That Would Be A Real Shame. This Old Bus Has Survived All These Years.She Deserves Better Than To See The Jaws Of A Crusher Shocked

So,... Whats All Wrong Besides The Brake/Air Problems You Mention??.

How About Rust??  Im Sure There Is Some Rust.But How Much Is There??

Tires?Huh   Huh??  HuhHuh

So,If I Fixed The Brake/Air Problem There At Your Place? Do You Think This Bus Would Make Another Trip?? To Say DENVER??  I Know Thats A Tough Answer. But Just Thought I Would Ask. This Would Be The Only Way I Could Buy It. The Bus Would Have To Bring Herself Here On Its Own Power.

WOW...I Think Im In LOVE Again  Kiss

Thank You For Your Time.
JOHN Cool

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 10:21:48 AM »

Copied from GMC-Busnuts yahoo group:

Posted by: "LOUIS" lohern1966@yahoo.com   lohern1966
Mon Nov 9, 2009 3:51 pm (PST)

- am parting out a 1955 gm super senic cruiser.6v92 with 5k miles on it.you can hear it run .drove the bus from california to arkansas 3 -ears ago.ran perfect.still does.been started and run every month.hot batteries .will run right now.lot of parts to sell cheap.870-919-0462

Quote from: kyle4501

So which is it 6V92 or 8V71? And where in AR?
I am interested, even if I don't have all the $ right now I might could come up with it.
Will it start? Drive? What are the tires like?

If it would run & drive with the air leak fixed I probably could find a place to park it on our new property when we get it.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

scenicruiser997

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 11:16:45 AM »

Give the old boy a call.  He can tell you more.  He did say that it was his mistake and she still has a 8V71 that was rebuilt not long ago.  Also she has what the owner told me was a 13 Speed roadranger that could pass anything on the road.  The old girl is located just north of I-40 and west of Memphis, TN.

Aaron
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »

I'm sure the tires are OLD & should be replaced. . . . . Especially the steers!

But, if it were me, I'd look 'em over & if they passed the look-see test, I would consider driving it, but only if I had a chase car or two keeping an eye on the tires as you're driving down the road at a very moderate speed - The higher the speed, the more heat is built up in the tires which leads to tire failure.

While I haven't seen this bus, I have spent some time with a bus I bought that had been sitting in a storage yard for ~5 years. I put new steers on it, splashed some fuel in it & basically drove it 700 miles - only problem was the false engine shut downs from the safety circut & the pivot shaft for the starter bendix falling out. An otherwise uneventful trip.

I drove another bus about that same distance from Delaware & it had been sitting for about 10 years. That trip was more eventfull than it should have been - If we hadn't tried to stop at the Bridge Tunnel (bought 2 new 8Ds), we wouldn't have run into heavy traffic & made a wrong turn (realized starter solenoid was the culprit, not the batteries) & then wouldn't have run out of daylight that required a hotel (required a cold morning start & $$ for the room). . . . .

As for the rust, this bus was a southeastern hound while in service, so it should have less than moderate rust. If the air beams still hold air - no real rust to worry about. Otherwise, it is like almost any 55 year old vehicle . . .

If I was gonna drive it, I'd get a roll of DOT air tubing & enough fittings & adapters to fix any air line issue that presented themselves during the trip. Most issues can be fixed before the road service shows up . . . .  Grin

BK- There ain't but so many left, You already have a jump start on the rest of us by having tires & bus knowledge on your side. . . .

She may look rough, but the bones look good & you aren't paying for any polish or paint that is hiding problems either . . .

scenicruiser997

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »

You wanted tire shots, then here they are.

Aaron
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: