Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 09:56:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arkansas trip and radiator hoses  (Read 920 times)
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« on: July 22, 2006, 09:05:05 PM »

Well, we just returned from our trip down to Arkansas and Missouri from our Illinois home.    Only problem was that one of our radiator hoses gave out.   The hose location is shown below (hose is actually removed in this picture).  The leak was behind the clamp. 

Earlier, I had asked about a slight leak on my radiator hoses, and also asked why I had to keep tightening the spring-tensioned clamps regularly.  I had also asked a bus mechanic who was out at my house working on the bus.  He said that I just really needed to keep tightening the clamps regularly.  Even once per run, daily, etc..  And to tighten the hose very tight. 

I am bringing this all up because the mechanic & friend - Kevin - who worked on the bus hoses this last trip said that the reason the hoses constantly needed tightening was because the clamps had worn out.  And he showed me on the "threads" of the clamp where the teeth had bent the metal inwards where the screws tighten the clamp.  That was the reason the clamp kept loosening.  When we replaced the old clamp with a new clamp, the clamp did stay tight.  No daily tightening required.

He also let me know that I really shouldn't be tightening the clamps as tight as I possibly could, and showed where previous mechanics had overtightened the clamps on other hoses resulting in cuts in the hoses where the clamp bites into the hose.  Once he showed me what to look for, we found other potential hose problems.   

With the hot weather, leaking hoses is something to watch out for!  I'm going to replace several other very suspect hoses now that I know what to look for.  One other hose which is shown in the picture below also looks like it has a leak as well. 

I used a large storage bin to hold the anti-freeze which ran out of the bus when the pipe was pulled to replace the hose. 

We could only find a regular heavy duty radiator hose to replace the failed hose.  Not the red lined radiator hose, which I'm assuming is a heavier duty hose.  so I think I need to replace the hose which we put on to get us back home.

Other than that, we had a fantastic trip.  From lake activities in Arkansas, to Baldknobbes and amusement parks in Branson MO, bussin' is the only way to go!

Also, our muffler repair held (thanks /chat / Bob and Dave).

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:13:09 PM »

We have found at Freightliner that the best hose is the Gates blue stripe hose.  It is a reinforced semi silicone rubber hose that once tightened will stay tightened, unlike silicone that needs to be tightened frequently and leaks in cold weather.  Then use a good constant tension clamp rather than the el cheapo screw type.  Constant tension have a bolt with what looks like 2 or 3 washers behind them.  You can also tell a constant tension by the higher price.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 09:41:04 PM »

Thanks Tom,

I'll track down or request the blue strip hoses from Gates.  I'll be using the constant tension clamps!!

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 05:17:56 AM »

All of the short sections of hose in the engine compartment of our bus were a mis-match of types, brands, etc. When we had to drain the cooling system to replace a leaking water pump, I decided it was a good time to replace all the short sections of hose and all the clamps. We used the Gates hose. I can now travel with confidence that I should not have any hose problems. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: