Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 10:53:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Single wide tires in place of duals  (Read 3608 times)
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2009, 08:26:36 AM »

I did not want to post this in with the Allison question.

I have noticed several trucks running a single large tire in place of duals on the tractor and trailer. I am guessing there is a savings in tire cost for them to do this but would think there would be less stability because of the loss of meat on the road.

Has anyone run these on a bus? I would imagine the stability might be worse on a bus. I am not thinking of doing this it is just a question.

Thanks,
Bryan
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 09:37:37 AM »

Someone posted this link in another thread quite recently:

http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/toolbox/videos-demos.jsp

Lots of videos aiming to prove that buses and trucks with single rear wheels are just as safe as those with duals

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

Super-single tires are a great thing for tractors and trailers, but there are two considerations.

First, if you have a flat on a tire, you only have that one tire -- you can't slow-roll to the tire shop, and it's hard to carry a spare, so you are DOWN until you find a shop that has a super-single in stock.

Second, you can't swap between steers and rears, unless you like the Big Daddy Roth look on your coach.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 11:22:37 AM »

BG6,

That makes sense and is kind of what I was thinking. I like th Big Daddy Roth comment though  Grin Cheesy

Bryan
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »

Pretty much the only thing holding back the new Super Singles is discriminatory weight regulations in a number of jurisdictions, and the number keeps dropping.

Truckers won't buy in until they can use them in all their applications without penalty.

Once they are allowed on a par with duals, they will be everywhere.

Rolling resistance is greatly reduced with a single, meaning fuel economy gains, and those who run them will tell you they are unnoticeable from the driver's seat.

Remember why we even have duals, the tire manufacturers couldn't figure out how to build one tire strong enough, until now...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 01:49:56 PM »

I am putting 4 of them on my 15.
Good luck Wayne

centrix29
Prevost Proud

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »

What about our Canadian winters?  I've heard that Supersingles are not as good as duals for traction.

What do you think?

Pat
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »

Nope, haven't heard that.

Remember, there is a mighty negative attitude towards these wide base tires from the uninformed masses.

You can be sure if there was some aspect that doesn't measure up, the manufacturers don't want to have the industry find out for ourselves... lots at stake moving forward from here.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »

I saw a lot of super singles over in England, they seemed pretty popular.  Hard to notice if any were on buses, though.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2009, 06:33:48 PM »

What about our Canadian winters?  I've heard that Supersingles are not as good as duals for traction.

I have had both dually and single wheel pickups.  The duallies sucked in the winter because they had half the pounds per square inch on the tire contact area. 

The only way I could see a super single being worse in the winter is if it has a larger contact area than duals.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2009, 06:45:40 PM »

Wayne,

This whole thread was worth it just to see the pics of your bus project. That is INCREDIBLE! I stand in awe. I would love to see more pics of it. We were disappointed that we couldn't stop and see it in person. Maybe someday.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »

I am putting 4 of them on my 15.
Good luck Wayne

Wow, Rusty,
If that is a current picture you have about 3-4 years worth of work ahead of you.  It kind of nauseates me to see that and remember my coach when I had it all tore down and welding on my frame.

David
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 07:18:13 PM »

You can order the super single on the drives on a Prevost with the wider on the front and tag not quite as wide as the super single.  
Sorry I forgot the number of the front and tag tires
But I do know what 2 of the supers and 4 of the others cost  LOL and my H-41 Prevost with air bags was a bear to drive in the rain and wind but I think Wayne is going to run regular steer tires on the front of his
John  
Wayne amazes me too with the work he does he is making that Eagle 102 wide from bumper to bumper that will be the only new model 15 around.  

good luck
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:41:19 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:37:19 PM »

Thank You When I was pricing the tires One supersingle was just a little less than two regular tires. The Rims were 500 a piece. I will wait to buy good tires untill I get closer to being finished. If you want to see more I have my projest on the Eagle web site. Go to http:/eaglesinternationals.net, Go to the forum then to Eagle projects my thread is under 1994 Eagle 15/45 by Wayne Schell.

Enjoy Wayne
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 12:12:41 AM »

Wayne .....  one word ..... AWESOME ....

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
cody

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2009, 12:39:21 AM »

Our 1978 revcon came with single rear wheels, course it's front wheel drive but still the weight carrying is mainly in the back, the fronts are 10.20x31 and the back is a single axle 12.50x33 load range F, the 87 revcon came with tandem rear axles with 12.50x33 load range E.  The 1978 were originally bia ply tires, we switched it over to radials on the Budd rims without a problem.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2009, 07:16:03 PM »

Michelin has a new tread pattern out for the X-ones called XDN2-which is a syped (small manufactured cuts in the tread) tread pattern that has maximum traction in both dry, wet and snow.  Plus it rides well.  If my truck had had 11R-22.5's I would have switched to 455/55R-22.5's.  But-nobody is making a 11R-24.5 single tire replacement.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
cody

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 05:28:00 AM »

Tom, I'm corn fused again you say nobody makes a 11R-24.5? Thats what I've got on my iggle, can you clarify that a little?
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 05:45:59 AM »

I think Tom was referring to the Super Single in that size

1976 4905
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 08:16:10 AM »

Cody- I use 11R-24.5's on my bus and truck also-I just mentioned that nobody makes a super single replacement for the 11R-24.5, and they probably won't.  USA and maybe Australia are the only countries that uses 24.5's.  22.5's are the main stay of tire use now-and for good reason.  The smaller tires are cheaper, lighter, and carry as much as the 24.5's.  If I bought a new truck, I would definitely have the highway super singles on my rig, and just carry a mounted spare. 
On a big rig, if you run super singles on both the drivers and the trailer, you'll save about 600lbs and get 2-4% better fuel mileage.  Personally-don't know why everyone doesn't use them.  I know they are used almost exclusively in Europe since fuel prices are about double what we pay, and the truckers are trying to squeeze every drop out of their trucks.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 07:11:15 PM »

those who run them will tell you they are unnoticeable from the driver's seat.

Gotta disagree.  I ran supersingles on a Freightliner, and noticed a significant drop in vibration at highway speed.

Consider that when you have two tires bolted together (duals), the slightest difference in diameter, tread pattern (or wear), pressure, etc will result in the two tires fighting each other every inch of the trip.

With a supersingle, you have ONE tire to balance and inflate, and ONE tread pattern.

If I were driving a big truck again, I would run supersingles.  I don't expect to run supers on my coach, because I want the option of swapping tires in case of problems.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: