Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 28, 2014, 06:02:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cost estimates for conversion components  (Read 1468 times)
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2006, 09:21:02 PM »

Hey guys,
I'm negotiating on an MC9 that has been converted but hasn't had all the things installed that I would want in a bus.  The present owner had it converted for his use in the northern states.  I'm in the south and need air conditioning, etc.  I wonder if some of you can give me a ball park idea of the cost of a propane or diesel generator (10 or 12k), an inverter, and roof a/c units, installed?  Also, is it feasible to have this stuff installed without a lot of extra work since the interior has already been finished? 

Also, the bus was wired using Romex.  I know stranded wiring is preferred, but how critical is it?  If I'm not pushing my luck, how much can I expect to spend to have a patio awning, a jake, and aftermarket power steering installed?

Man, this list is getting longer!

Thanks,
Hi Yo Silver!     

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:39:17 PM »

Silver

I bought a "started" conversion.

If the price is right you can do a lot of changing.

If the price is wrong doesn't make any difference what was done or how you can't afford it.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 04:59:06 AM »

Also, the bus was wired using Romex.  I know stranded wiring is preferred, but how critical is it?  If I'm not pushing my luck, how much can I expect to spend to have a patio awning, a jake, and aftermarket power steering installed?

Man, this list is getting longer!

Thanks,
Hi Yo Silver!     

You are pushing your luck with ROMEX!! It was not engineered to be used in automotive applications. It only takes one short & Poof, the bus is history & maybe you also.

My $0.06 worth (inflation + I am high-priced)

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 05:09:52 AM »

Is this an all electric coach?  Usually a 10K gen is big enought and probably about 7-8K for diesel. Roof ACs run about 500-700. Easie to install If the interior ceiling is not finished or if the bus was prewired/framed for the ACs. Inverters vary from 800-900 for a mdified sine wave to 2K+ for a big true sine wave. Romex is OK as long as it is secured adequately to prevent vibration.  I have not seen an MC-9 without power sterring, are you referring to changing from hydraulic assist to integral?  Used Jakes can usually be found for around 1000, and are great but not absolutely neccessary. How much mountain driving will you be doing?. 22' awnings range from about 1000 to several thousand depending on what type you want.  None of these prices include installation, which can vary depending on where you are and who you hire to do the installation.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »

Thanks for your input, guys.   Melbo, the bus is not heavily equipped with what I want, but I'm in agreement with you so far as the cost reflecting the way it is equipped.  The price seems to be in the right ballpark.

Oldmansax, thanks for offering your opinion re. Romex vs. stranded.

Jack, to regarding your questions; There is propane on the bus, a three way fridge, propane rangetop, and a line (unused) to a bay for a generator.  It's only wired for standard roof mounted exhaust fans at the two hatches, which means it would probably be necessary to pull in bigger wire for roof airs.  If that installation would get too dicey with framing in the units, pulling wire, etc., it might mean messing up the ceiling.  (Speaking of messing up the interior, I guess having the control panel for the generator and inverter is another consideration.)

Yes, I was referring to upgrading to integral Pwr. Stg., especially since the seller has told me the steering cylinder? has a leak that needs to be fixed anyhow.  I can live without the jake, but if you're gonna dream...

Thanks again, everybody, for your input.
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!       

rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 02:48:04 PM »

If you going to dream. Dream about a Telma retarder. Less heat. Less noise. Bigger bucks.
    Rod

Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 04:07:25 PM »

Thanks RWC
But what's a Telma retarder? Never heard of that one...
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 04:24:36 AM »

A Telma retarder can be best described as a disk brake rotor that is installed on the driveshaft. It has several large electromagnets installed on eacg side of the rotor. When power is applied to the electromagnets, the magnetic fields created react with the steel rotor to provide a tremendouis about of braking with no heat build-up related fade. We had one of these on onw of our fire engines. With a full application, it would almost put you through the windshield.  However, they are rather expensiive and questionable wether there is enough room to install them on the short driveshafts in a rear engine bus.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:22:15 PM »

O,I,C, So that's how it works...
Must be a similar in principal to the dynamic braking system on a diesel electric locomotive.  Except they use the traction motors as generators, exciting or charging the field magnets from a separate source,  and bleed off the current that's produced by way of big resistors.  Ok, the same, except different.  Yep, I'll bet that's an expensive setup.
Dennis
Hi Yo Silver!

Dallas

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 01:40:11 AM »

http://www.telmausa.com/telma_htm/default.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: