Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 04:55:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Servicing air vent check valves?  (Read 2840 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 03:07:42 PM »

Needs checked every day? (not absolutely, but recommended!)

The reason Clifford and Cole say this and I do agree is; If you have a problem with the engine, the drain tubes are big time clues as to what is going on, and to which side of the engine!

I have for a very long time used old windshield washer fluid jugs (that you can see thru) one on each side zip-tied to the frame rails so it can be seen what is in there! If you have a problem letting coolant into the air boxes you want to know about it immediately to find and fix the problem. (if it ain't too late!)
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 05:04:32 PM »

Thanks BK for that info , Now to further educate us on this subject . When you say you would like to know sooner than later if you see coolent in the jug. Would that mean you have an issue with your sleeves as coolent leaking thur . or splitting ? Iam trying to wrap my head around these DD  Thanks for your help   Andy

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 07:26:18 PM »

Sleaves,head gaskets,injector tubes, it's stuff like that,you want to know about right away,Bryce is right about the clear container. Grin
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:29:10 PM by van » Logged

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 08:18:33 PM »

I've seen them where a hole was cut into the lower thin side opposite of the cap for the tube drain into and air to escape.  The bottle is mounted(tie wraps) sideways with the cap down so that you just remove the cap to drain it.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »

Andy, the 2 strokes are not like the 4 strokes they have ports in the sleeve that is why it doesn't have intake valves and 90% of the time problems like Van said will show at the drains 1st ( he should know by now) a bad injector that is dribbling will show most of the time, a bad blower seal will make a tube leak more oil also and the list could go on they serve more than making a mess.  
The old school 2 strokes guys look at the tube the very 1st thing even if you don't notice there is a lot of info dripping out of those hoses
DD tied the drains into the oil pan on some buses for a short time to please CA big mistake cost them a bundle on warranty work but you will still see it on some buses and they have never had a problem so I have been told by the owners, no way would I do that I help a guy rebuilded his 6v92 with that setup
 FWIW I check my catch can every time I fuel    

good luck
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:38:31 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2009, 11:25:44 PM »

I've seen them where a hole was cut into the lower thin side opposite of the cap for the tube drain into and air to escape.  The bottle is mounted(tie wraps) sideways with the cap down so that you just remove the cap to drain it.

Dang it that is such an awesome idea, why didn't I think of that? Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 01:52:57 AM »

Clifford,

Where are yours mounted that you can see them each time you fuel up? I really need to do something on ours, and I'll take the cheap route for now, using a couple of milk jugs.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2009, 06:03:54 AM »

Thanks Clifford , Thats the kind of information that makes owning one of these DD a little easier or at least understandable. Iam learnning guys .  Thanks for being patient.   Undecided

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2009, 07:58:11 AM »

A Lot Of Us Guys Out Here Are Learning. Huh I Already Have Recieved A Ton Of New Information For My Little Brain To Retain. Retain Or Delete....Now Thats A Question. Shocked  We All Have Questions That May Seem Really Stupid To Us. But There Is A Guy Out There Somewhere Thats Afraid To Ask The Question In Fear Of Being Seen As A Dummy. 10-4?

So Instead Of Spending Hours Looking Up The Q & A Of This Subject. I Might As Well Ask This Seemingly Stupid Question......See, I Feel Stupid Already And I Havent Even Asked The Question Yet  Embarrassed

So,The Slobber Tubes Are For... ( Blow-By ) Tubes??  Kinda Like A PVC Valve System On An Automobile?? Are They For Crankcase Pressure?? Of Sort??  This Would Be My Educated Guess.But For My Limited Knowledge Of The Detroit Diesel This Is What I Feel Would Be Correct....Right???  Wrong???  Embarrassed

What Is Normal?? (Oil From Slobber Tubes) What Is To Much Oil??  Im Sure This Has Been Covered Many Times On Many Sites. But PLEASE Help Me Out Here And Set Me Straight. (Stupid Questions Will Set You Free..Brother). Roll Eyes

Am I The Only Guy That Feels Stupid Out Here??
P.S.... What Is FWIW  ( Fat Women In Winter ) Kiss

JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »

John

The only thing I can tell you for certain is FWIW is "For What It's Worth"  Shocked
The other stuff I would assume some of it and may actually be right but will let the experts speak up  Grin

Bryan
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2009, 11:16:11 AM »

Maybe this is to simple think of your air box like you shop air compressor....you have a drain on the bottom that lets out moisture and other things. the air box drains are pressure sensitive...at low pressure (idle) they are open and let out unwanted elements ....when the pressure increases (rpm)they close and deliver to the cyl...the drains are to help keep unwanted material out of the engine...if to much unwanted material shows up then you need to figure out where it came from..the other guys covered the probable causes..hope this helps

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2009, 03:39:30 PM »

John,

The pressure in the air box is not crankcase pressure. It is pressurized by the blower. It is where the cylinders get the air to support combustion. Oil and combustion by-products tend to accumulate in there and need to be drained off. Normal amount is small as the drains normally open at idle and idling should be kept to a minimum.

There is a separate crankcase vent, either on the side of the block or in the valve covers, depending on the application.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: