Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 03:34:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stipping paint off sides  (Read 1276 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2009, 07:14:47 PM »

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience stripping paint off the lower portion of a bus.  What I mean is removing the paint to expose the original aluminum skins, but leaving the upper paint alone.  I have seen a nice looking bus, but painted all over.  The lower skins are all one color and a different color is painted above them.  I think it would look good if just the lower portion was stripped off.  I so much prefer the aluminum to be original and was wondering if this was a feasible thing to do?  If so, how?

(This post doesn't read very well to me, but it's late, so forgive me)

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:33:40 AM »

Depends on the bus. Is the aluminum anodized? What will be the finish after stripping off the paint (clearcoat?) Trying to maintain raw or polished aluminum skin is a real pain in the @$#, and stripper will usually ruin anodizing.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 06:16:37 AM »

I know someone who has a commerical Soda Blaster. Grin Cheesy Wink

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 06:18:44 AM »

There is a pretty good chance that the lower skin was painted because it looked bad to begin with.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »

Im Sure You Tryed PAINT STRIPPER Right???

Stripper In The Spray Can. I Use It All The Time.If You Watch It Close You Can Wipe,Scrape Or Wash Off As Soon As It Starts To Bubble.If You Practice You Will Get Real Good.

But Becarefull Not To Scratch Your @$# With Any Of This Under Your Finger Nails. (Not Ask) Shocked Smiley Smiley Shocked

Some Paint Removers Are Not That Powerfull.Some Are. I Use BRODY Paint Remover.I Get It On My Hands Alot. It Dosent Really Burn That Bad,Maybe Im Use To It.But As Always BECAREFULL.!!!! Some Products Can HURT You.!!! Always Wear Gloves (I Dont) But Dont Be Like Me.Use Caution Anytime You Use Anything That Can Be Harmful.

Not Responsible For Lost Body Parts Or Burned Out Eye Balls.... Shocked

OK-OK I Think I Made My Point.?

But Thats What I Would Try.

Good Luck
JOHN Cool

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
Marcus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 05:28:02 AM »

home depot sells a paint stripper that you can stick your hand into and not burn . Don't remember the name.
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 01:01:41 PM »

I used STRIPIT on my bus. Not sure of the correct spelling but its been around for ever. I remember my mom using it to strip old furniture back in the 60's ! When I did it, I painted it on and it bubbled pretty quick. I scraped it of then hit it with a hose to rinse. It would regularly splash on the stainless doors and a quick hit with the garden hose cleaned it off. Just be carefull around any rubber or plastic. We ruined a few marker lenses by not being carefull. Its nasty stuff, but it worked better than any of the other 6 things we tried. Make sure you wear gloves ! If your interested, ive got a half a can left and I can get the exact name of the product for you.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:56:35 PM »

I've stripped my share of  aluminium.  I don't think you'll get to what you want with stripper and scrapers, but you can get close then take it to a media blaster who can blast it with walnut shells or soda.  That will get what's left around the rivets and the seams, and leave a matt finish that you can then spend several hundred hours polishing...

A good media blaster can take off the paint one coat at a time.  I've seen fiberglass cleaned so that the gel coat was perfect.  But you have to find the right guy.

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 08:01:25 PM »

Im Sure You Tryed PAINT STRIPPER Right???

Stripper In The Spray Can. I Use It All The Time.If You Watch It Close You Can Wipe,Scrape Or Wash Off As Soon As It Starts To Bubble.If You Practice You Will Get Real Good.

But Becarefull Not To Scratch Your @$# With Any Of This Under Your Finger Nails. (Not Ask) Shocked Smiley Smiley Shocked

Some Paint Removers Are Not That Powerfull.Some Are. I Use BRODY Paint Remover.I Get It On My Hands Alot. It Dosent Really Burn That Bad,Maybe Im Use To It.But As Always BECAREFULL.!!!! Some Products Can HURT You.!!! Always Wear Gloves (I Dont) But Dont Be Like Me.Use Caution Anytime You Use Anything That Can Be Harmful.

Not Responsible For Lost Body Parts Or Burned Out Eye Balls.... Shocked

OK-OK I Think I Made My Point.?

But Thats What I Would Try.

Good Luck
JOHN Cool

You sound like me... "Safety Third"... Right behind results and fun!  Woohoo!

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: