Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 04:48:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiser’s website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Insuring my coach...  (Read 3694 times)
ted01

Every little thing=another piece of the puzzle!

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »

I'm about 3/4 done now and wondering if I should get it appraised and get more insurance, I have a bisic policy, but that was for bringing it home as it is not going anywhere yet. If my garage would burn though, I would sure have a loss. so if anyone converted, did you get insurance on your coach??? Also, how do you go about getting insurance when it's done? How do you go about getting an appraisal for insurance purposes?  Huh

edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 05:51:10 PM »

Since you are new, you probably have not heard me say this, you should really get "agreed upon value" insurance.  Essentially you are agreeing now on what a totaled coach would be worth - and avoid arguing and potentially getting taken advantage of, later.  I now have National Interstate.  They identified an appraiser that they would accept.

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:29:20 PM »

We were told to keep all receipts when building, and when you get an appraiser, it will help to get the value also. Also, take lots of pics for future reference. We have a policy with Allstate. Never had to show them anything. Good luck.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »

Many insurance companies will insure you bus to legally drive it down the road, but few will give you RV type insurance that covers your interior contents, RV type supplies and additions to the coach, accidents involving only RV type incidents, etc.  I have RV insurance through Progressive.  Give them a try.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
mcichad

'92 MCI 102 C3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 11:56:49 PM »

Hi, when it comes to insuring as an RV, this can be a fine line with some insurers forsure.  When insured as an RV it's my understanding that this also allows our buses to be driven without the usual class of liscence required.  Meaning a regular liscense is now allowed to drive since it's no longer classified as a commercial unit.  Is this correct, for US and CDN?

When insuring, what method works best for having an insurance company now recognize a once commercial bus to RV coach classification? 

'92 MCI 102-C3
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 04:32:49 AM »

As long as it is titled as an rv. Ours is listed as an rv and we have coverage that includes contents.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:42:36 AM »

Most places in Canada have drivers license requirements linked to the vehicle, it's use and it's weight, and not linked to commercial or non-commercial use.  In terms of buses and buses converted to motor homes, in Ontario the weight limit is 11,000 kg, and the seat limit used to be 12 passengers (checked the web site this morning and true to form they have switched to more ambiguous wording) for a regular class G drivers license.  Above either limit, or with a towed vehicle over 4,600 lbs you need an upgraded license of some sort.  The minimum grade to drive a bus conversion with less that 12 seats and over 11,000 kg is class D, class C is for a regular bus over 24 seats, and class B is school bus over 24 seats.  Z endorsement is required if the bus has air brakes.  I have a class DZ license.  I can drive full commercial with that, not problem, the only difference is that if I am driver commercial vs non-commercial I also have to comply with regulations pertaining to daily inspections, hours of service, CVOR and weigh station inspections - which are all vehicle related regulations, not drivers licence regulations.  Note that with a DZ I am not allowed to drive my bus if it was fully seated.  My bus is registered as a motorhome, has regular plates, and my insurance is as a bus conversion.  They gave me their minimum of $20K valuation, if I want more I can get in inspected and valued by an appraiser.

Hope this helps, as a Canadian perspective.  Alberta may (probably will) vary in a few details.

The change on the web site basically removed the seating capacity limit, and now refers to cars and vans vs buses.  So you need a special license above G to drive any bus-like vehicle unless it's registered as a motorhome, which although it may look like a bus, isn't a bus by definition.

Brian

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 08:12:03 AM »

Years ago when I was building my truck conversion, I met Mr. Miller of Miller Insurance.  I am pretty sure it was at a Bus Conversion Magazine rally.  He drove a bus conversion (MCI as I recall) that had the name "Miller Time".  He was a really neat guy.  I had tried several insurance companies and nobody would touch a truck conversion.  I talked to him and there was no question that he could and would insure me!!!  And he did.  The policy is through Progressive, but he had the connections with them to get the job done.

He has since passed away, but Cheryl Howarth (his daughter) has taken over the company.  I see her at most of the FMCA events and she said that they still like to work with bus folks.  Their site is:  http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/index.php

I have heard mixed stories on "agreed upon value" policies.  The last I heard, is that type of policy is no longer offered.  The way that Miller handles it is that they insure the bus for the purchase price as a starting point.  Then they will upgrade the value as you supply them with receipts.  Given the terrible market, my "parts cost" value is more than fair.

When you are done with the conversion you can get an appraisal and that will become the insured value (at least at that point in time).  There have been threads in the past about "on-line" appraisal companies.  They seem to be legit.  However, I would work with the insurance company to make sure they accept the appraisal of the appraiser you want to work with.

We always face the "market" factor and depreciation.  Not much we can do about that.

Progressive has been a great company to work with.  The Miller/Progressive offers a "combined single limit each accident" option of $500K.  Mr Miller always made a big deal of that because of the damage we could cause at a rally of expensive motorhomes.  I just got my policy and it looks like it has comprehensive value of $60K and the total policy is $610 per year including a very good towing policy.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:18:19 AM »

I use AAA for insurance.  I guess we came to an agreed amount.  I'm insuring it for my estimate of replacement cost which is significantly higher than my purchase price.  Similar approach to art and jewelery.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:32 AM »

Jim, I agree with you on Miller I used John for 20 years before his death a prince of a guy and would work for you getting the best he could for the bucks.
I miss going by his spot at Quartzsite and not seeing him and the Miller Time Prevost.
FWIW I have the agreed on value also but you guys better read the fine print it doesn't mean much now 

good luck
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 08:30:18 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 08:33:43 AM »

Our 89 prevost is on a stated value policy as a RV....$500 deductable..includes towing and uninsured motorist...691 dollars a year...stated value is 75,000..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 08:47:45 AM »

Jim, I agree with you on Miller I used John for 20 years before his death a prince of a guy and would work for you getting the best he could for the bucks.
I miss going by his spot at Quartzsite and not seeing him and the Miller Time Prevost.
FWIW I have the agreed on value also but you guys better read the fine print it doesn't mean much now 
good luck

Clifford,

So what do you use now?

Thanks.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:25 AM »

Has anybody had a claim through the Miller folks?

Thanks.

God bless,

John

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:54:01 AM »

John, I am still with Miller and this year it was through Progressive something I am not happy with ,all the got u in their policy now.
Cheryl is trying to find other carriers for bus people.
I did have a claim with John when a deer in Idaho crossed in front of me. 
He had with Royal then and it was no problem John even offered his Prevost to us to finish the rest of our trip but found us a nice Beaver to use and John would call every day to check and see if you needed anything.
They are great folks to deal with very personal service and unless things have changed over the last few months they have a real voice on the other end of the line.   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 03:19:22 PM »

I talked to Miller today to confirm that they still want to do business with us crazy folks.  The said no problem.  They try to avoid school bus conversion (I know, descrimination).

They did say that there is an agreed upon policy, based on an appraisal by a company of their choice.  They said they have a good appraiser who has quite a bit of bus experience.  That value is good for two years.  As Clifford says, I would not count of getting the full amount, given all the small print.

As I recall, I have been with Progressive the whole time I have been with Miller (about 15 years).  I had one claim that was probably in the 3K range and it did not increase my policy, as they have a "forgiveness" clause that keeps you from getting your rates jacked up if the claim is not huge and your record is good.  I have also used their tow service and they had the correct equipment sent to do the tow.

One of the things Progressive "demands" is that the "shell" be completed in 12 months.  Miller works with you on that issue (intercedes with Progressive somehow), and it has not been a problem for me.

All in all a good company to work with.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 06:55:02 PM »

Progressive has been a great company to work with.  The Miller/Progressive offers a "combined single limit each accident" option of $500K.  Mr Miller always made a big deal of that because of the damage we could cause at a rally of expensive motorhomes.

Just don't get into any arguments with the sticks n staples crowd about how much tougher you coach is, and they won't dare you to prove it!  Wink

John316

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 05:47:45 PM »

We talked with Marleen, at Miller insurance. I didn't have a real grand feeling about the conversation. She asked some kinda strange questions.

She also wondered if we the business owned the bus: yes it does. Then she wondered if business was conducted in the bus: no it isn't. It is also titled as an RV (of course). She asked some other strange questions....

My question....Is Marleen the right one to talk with?

Thanks.

God bless,

John

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: