Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:40:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Well, I have to pull my windshield after all...  (Read 1019 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« on: November 16, 2009, 06:31:19 PM »

Hey All,

After coming to the conclusion by consensus that removing a windshield is just too difficult I found out that my measuring skills are not at their peak after assuring my wife that there was no way our couches would fit out our windows and after removing an arm from one the couches in our bus I sheepishly came to the conclusion that they will quite easily slip out the window after all. So I removed them to have them reupholstered or possibly new ones and after firing the old girl up for a ride to the local DD shop today to have my coolant tested for nitrates I am in the process of removing the TV/Surround sound stand and ping!!!! broke the windshield. So the bill got a bit more expensive when I had to purchase a windshield. I guess God felt that I needed to learn how to do a windshield after all. Let's hope I'm better at windshields than measuring!!

The good news is JD from C&J coach took the time to drive her and he thought my motor was an exceptional runner. So has everybody else that has driven her. (Gumpy I can hear the "I told you so's" all the way from St. Michael!!)  If I could just learn how to fufill my motto at the bottom of the page I probably wouldn"t be so hot for a repower. I'm starting to understand that more fuel leads to more RPM's which leads to more power. Go figure

Everybody (even my wife) drives my bus harder than I do. I think it has something to do with I know who will have to fix if it breaks and I know how much most parts cost too.

Gotta break the governor=red line small block chevy guy in me from high school.

I sure hope that we get this bus the way we want it in the next couple years so we can sell it and start all over with a 45 footer with a series 60..   Just kidding... sort of.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 06:52:01 PM »

You know that in MN, if you have comprehensive insurance on your bus, it includes 100% glass coverage with no deductible?  I think I told you that before.... too.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
mcichad

'92 MCI 102 C3

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 06:53:20 PM »

Hi Rick,

Actually the windshield isn't too bad to replace, just replaced my drivers and it's actually better to replace on a warmer day.  The middle rubber insert which goes around the outside of the window comes out quite easily, however going back in is much better when it's warm.  Using a mild heat from a heat gun and some soapy water works nicely.  Basically the middle insert holds the outers apart to seal the window, using a flat screw driver helps to open the seal and allows the window to come out quite easily.  If you start with the outer and move towards the middle working top and bottom, it should move along smoothly.

When installing, try sliding the window in from the outside into the seal and push until it's sitting in the middle seal.  Then you can start working the seal in reverse on the top and bottom until you're close to the outside, then you can work around the corners and up the outside and 'voila'!  Then the middle insert goes back in, if you insert onside in the grow, keep it warm and lubricated the otherside should slip in nicely.  It can be teadious, but a little patience and time and it will go in around the window. 

The windows are not bad for weight, lighter than our side windows, just have something to work at a good height, such as a half-ton backed up to the windows and work from the tailgate.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the experience....Have fun, Chad

'92 MCI 102-C3
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 09:42:49 PM »

Craig, I thought full glass coverage is above and beyond the comprehensive, but I might be wrong?

I would just bring the bus to JD and have him do the replacement if insurance will pay.  JD doesn't mind doing MCI windshields, but he hates doing Dina windshields.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 03:03:30 AM »

Check with your agent. I've had at least 4 put into my coach in the last 6 years or so, and hasn't cost me a cent. I usually get 2 in my truck every couple years.
Glass coverage is the only thing that makes it worth carrying comprehensive on most of my vehicles.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 05:39:49 AM »

Gump,

I think I speak for the entire group of busnuts here when I say:

What in the heck are you doing that makes you replace 4 windshields?  Shocked Shocked Huh

Test driving through flocks of Geese?

Driving across a gunnery range

Are you and wifey playing with BB guns inside the bus? Have you taken up window etching?? sand blasting?Huh

Just kidding. Us folks up here in Minnesnowta know that you do a bit of off roading now and then since your stroke!!!! Grin

Have a great day.

I will check into thae insurance stuff. I was pleasantly surprised at the price it was far less than our car to replace it.

Around $180,

Heck I spend that just walking in a shop usually,

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 06:24:45 AM »

I replaced a windshield in a 8 several years ago and was amazed at the low cost...as far as the Detroit...I have been told by fleet operators the main problem they had with the 8v71's was their drivers lugging them..running in to high of gear at to low a rpm...I have a 8V92 and the peak torque curve is 1700 rpm when I'm traveling I try not to get to much below without downshifting...If I run 2150rpm about 74 mile per hour I get 5 to 51/2 mpg if I back off to 65 (1900rpm) my mileage goes to 6 to 6 1/2. others will have different opinions this is what I have experienced...buses are good.....

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 06:29:02 AM »

RickB and others you'd be amazed at how much nicer it is to see out of new windows vs old pitted & scratched windshields!

Fleet operators buy them by the crate, and have them on hand to change out on a regular basis.  (many times they will sell them at cost to little guys like us, and install the reasonably too!)
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Oh yeah the other reason Craig is replacing his so often might be he DRIVES his bus! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: