Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 04:08:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI 9 Slide Out  (Read 3835 times)
berrybus

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2009, 06:54:41 PM »

Even though it is not recommended, but I am sure it is not impossible, I was wondering if anyone knows how to prepare the bus for a slide out.  I would love to see pictures if anyone has any. 

Thanks so much!

Jim

"No man is a bus."
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 06:58:46 PM »

Email BJ aka Gus the Bus on the board he has 3 on his MCI 8

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 04:41:34 AM »

I did my own slides ...The link to the mci member is your best bet...mine are on a 89 prevost...we have about 600 invested in material for both slides. Have extra slide mechanical... not a bad job if you have time ,patients,a welder,and a place to leave side open for awhile.Can see pictures of mine at (west tennessee bus nuts gathering ) page 15 :BK posted pictures;thanks BK....good luck.... It is worth the effort!

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 05:53:46 AM »

I did my own slides ......mine are on a 89 prevost....Can see pictures of mine at...

Could you put the link please. I don't find...

Thank you...

Gatan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 05:59:24 AM »

I've just been to find the photos myself - the link is:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=12698.210

The outer view certainly looks good - do you happen to have any photos of the mechanical bits (eg inside or underneath), or the them during construction?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Le Mirage

Le Mirage XL 1987

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 06:08:37 AM »

Oh yes!!!! Thank you...

Gatan

Gatan & Manon (french canadian)
Prevost, Le Mirage XL, 1987
Quebec, Canada

http://latchodromquebec.blogspot.com/2010/05/la-fin-du-voyage.html

Ray D

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 08:42:19 AM »

I emailed you some pictures Jim, let me know if you did not get them.  There were 3 emails
Ray D
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »

Gary at B&B in Las Vegas and Dan put a full side slide in a 9.

I think he wants to sell it now -- I am waiting for him to email me pictures and a craiglist listing.

I talked to him today and I will get you more information as I get it.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 11:20:02 AM »

Here are the pictures

I have more if you want them

I can send them to you if you want me to

Melbo

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:20:22 PM »

Melbo,

Your bus looks great.  It should be a BCM centerfold for the slideout alone.  Thanks for sharing.

Love the brown paint.  Is that New Mex camo?  Huh Roll Eyes Grin Grin Wink

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Pla
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »

Thanks for the compliment but that is not my bus.

I am posting a picture of my bus it is an 8

That is a 9 that has the slide -- it was built at B&B Coach in Las Vegas by Dan and Gary

Pretty cool bus huh???

Melbo

berrybus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 07:33:09 PM »

thanks for the imput. i am looking for pics of structure above and below floor.thanks jim.

"No man is a bus."
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2009, 05:04:05 AM »

I noticed your from KY I live in Evansville Indiana on the border with Ky.Have 2 slides as posted earlier....basic installation is a tube inside a tube attached to the outside wall.. the rear slide is above the floor with the bed extending out..The front is thru the frame with added frame reinforcement at floor level.you can go below the frame,but this will loose space in the bays..Front slide is 15 ft by 3 ft.rear is 8ft by 3 ft.  Used a common shaft and chain drive on each runner powered with a slide motor...will try to get some pictures of mechanical..If you would like to see in person will b e here til mid Jan...Then run to sun...My slides are 6 yrs old and road tested...

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2009, 05:27:54 AM »

Jim, you need help designing a slide for the 9 the ones I have saw were well built with trusses at the roof and bottom.
Prevost with all their resources and engineers had major problems for 4 years with their slides on the XL, never many problems on H series because of difference in the way the 2 were built.   

good luck

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2009, 05:40:07 AM »

I design and built slides myself ....prevost had nothing to do with them...I tend to overbuild...like I said road and time tested no air leak and no noise..just wanted everyone to know...I can't afford the real thing  $600. for two slides ....I think the big boys might sell you the switch and motors for that...I'M a build it yourself...with the guidance of those that have gone there before...to the original question ..It can be done just research it and look at what others have done...you can do it..

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2009, 05:55:10 AM »

Robert, I am not saying you guys can not do it but what works on your Prevost may not work for his MCI.
I have looked at 9 over at Gary's in Vegas and I don't think that one is going to hold up the owner has it for sale now. 
FWIW I have seen slides fail on Eagles without proper design and the way the Eagle is built that should never happen but the old saying "S*** happens"

good luck
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:06:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 06:08:09 AM »

I had a MCI 8 (1978) and the only reason that it didn't get slides is I wanted a Prevost with a bigger motor..Just like the look and power;Sort of like the Eagle guys or MCI or GM etc..would only be able to show what was done and explain how then it is for him to decide.It is good to have a informed opinion to discuss our thoughts...

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 06:15:35 AM »

Yep that is reason I referred him to BJ he did all the engineering for you guys with MCI 8 and 9 but it is a complex design that his firm came up with.
All things are possible with help and money I have a friend that is installing a slide in a 4104 he has had set backs in the past 1 1/2 years but plans on driving it to Quartzsite in Jan

good luck
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:56:52 AM by luvrbus » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 11:23:49 PM »

"GUSTHEBUS" is a 9 with two slides.  It was at Rickreel in Orygun for the meet.  The owner lives south of Seattle (Airport Way?)and is a unusually bright and innovative PhD in engineering.  He built Gus when the common wisdom was that slides would not work in a 9.  Contact him for two reasons.....he can tell you what FAILS ....or what WORKS WELL. and all the picky little problems that will have you slashing your wrists along the way to either conclusion.  Really nice and informative guy.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
Pla
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 10:29:08 AM »

"GUSTHEBUS" is a 9 with two slides.  It was at Rickreel in Orygun for the meet.  The owner lives south of Seattle (Airport Way?)and is a unusually bright and innovative PhD in engineering.  He built Gus when the common wisdom was that slides would not work in a 9.  Contact him for two reasons.....he can tell you what FAILS ....or what WORKS WELL. and all the picky little problems that will have you slashing your wrists along the way to either conclusion.  Really nice and informative guy.

Hmm,
I ain't sure about that!
In our "fleet" "Gus the Bus" is an '85 96A3 SEATED COACH

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Iver

1979 MCI-9

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 06:22:24 PM »

Check this out....( Not mine)
http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-RVs-MCI-9-Bus-Conversion-W0QQAdIdZ158880895
    Iver.

Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
"Life may not be the party we hoped for,
But while we are here we might as well dance".
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 07:56:46 AM »

Hmm,
I ain't sure about that!
In our "fleet" "Gus the Bus" is an '85 96A3 SEATED COACH

Hi BK,

I looked at your 96A3 and was immediately struck by how high the front end looks in this picture.  I refreshed my 96A3's front suspension this past winter.  During the refresh I replaced the leveling valve and then reset the ride height of the axle.  From the picture it looks to me like your bus is riding at least 1" higher then mine is.  If you had time during your next maintenance I would be curious to know what the ride height on yours is set to right now.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 08:14:54 PM »

Quote from: Brian Diehl
Hi BK,
I looked at your 96A3 and was immediately struck by how high the front end looks in this picture.  I refreshed my 96A3's front suspension this past winter.  During the refresh I replaced the leveling valve and then reset the ride height of the axle.  From the picture it looks to me like your bus is riding at least 1" higher then mine is.  If you had time during your next maintenance I would be curious to know what the ride height on yours is set to right now.

Brian,
I'll be happy to check it for you when we get it back in service! Not long a go(about a month or so) I had another weekend from you know where and had several things go wrong!
Well one of them was "Gus" lost a turbo, and took o ut an engine! So it sits waiting for it's time to be fixed. (as soon as dad makes up his mind on what exactly it is we want to do with it!)
Best of my memory though I beleive when that old pic was taken, it had sat for a day or 2 and the rear suspension had prbably bled down. But the front had not!
Also we have rebuilt the rear suspension since then too. So it may be rididng "more level" now!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: