Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 12:51:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very Strange Dipstick Reading on 6V92  (Read 3078 times)
Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

Ignore
« on: November 18, 2009, 09:00:24 AM »

Ok, so I changed my oil in my 6V92 (suggested 8.5 gallons by MCI in Los Alamitos, CA) and I took a dipstick reading, one side of the dipstick had a drop of oil on the bottom (i.e. no reading) but the opposite side of the dipstick had oil for 1.5 inches up the dipstick (over full).

I have been changing oil in engines for over 40 years and checked this over 10 times in disbelief as well did a very experienced engine mechanic and neither of us could understand this phenomena.   

Has anyone ever seen this before in a 6V92 or ANY engine?  BTW, it doesnít look like the dry side of the dipstick has been wiped clean by pulling it out, it is as dry as when it went in and the opposite side is heavily coated with oil.  This is very strange.

Also, does this engine take 8.5 gallons with a dry oil filter?  Just wanted to be sure as it shows over filled on the dipstick.

Gary
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:07:49 AM »

Mine did that just the other day.  I'm not running it right now so I haven't double checked or figured it out.  Bus has been sitting, pulled the dipstick, it was dry, back in and out, showed right where it should be on one side!  very odd I thought.  Hasn't done it again since.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:18:19 AM »

You guys need a oil sample taken they will do that when fuel is present.   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:59:56 PM »

This happened immediately after changing the oil so there shouldn't be any fuel in the drain pan.

Any other ideas?

Gary
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 01:04:59 PM »

I've never seen that happen, but Clifford might be right. I'd do an oil sample just to make sure. His thought makes sense. How do you know you didn't have fuel in the oil before the change?

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 02:22:11 PM »

Well, I guess I didn't know for sure if there was fuel in the oil before, but the previous owner didnít change the oil for several years so if there was fuel in there, I think I would have seen it as pored the old oil back into the 1 gal oil containers using a funnel.  Because it was so long since the last oil change, if there was any fuel in the oil, there probably would have been quite a bit I suspect.  How much does it cost to have the fuel analyzed and where do get it done?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 03:18:02 PM »

Gary, it could have been something on the stick left behind by the rag. Have you a sample ran I have good luck with the Cat dealers the kit is around 20 bucks.

good luck

hargreaves
1987 MCI 102A3

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »

We get this quite regularly on our transit buses. There is a cushion on the top of the dipstick on the underside that goes over the tube. After a while it seems to separate and go down the tube. it gets stuck at the fitting that joins the tube to the block. As the dipstick is inserted and then drawn back out the side that rubs against this cushion cleans itself. It is quite simple to check this just by removing the dipstick tube and checking it.        Good luck        Gerry

now as of Feb 2012 series 50 B400  . Sunshine Coast British Columbia
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 06:47:35 PM »

I get the same thing on the dip stick of a generator I have. Isuzu 2 cyl. diesel. I'll have to look at the tube for a "cushion" that would wipe the oil on one side.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
gus

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 07:27:36 PM »

I have an airplane oil tank that does the same thing. The dip stick neck is pretty short and so is the dip stick but there is almost a quart difference in the two readings (Out of 4 quarts total!).

I finally checked it when I filled it after draining so I would know exactly the quantity, then I checked each side. Now I use the same side of the dipstick all the time so I know it is accurate.

Why this happens is a mystery to me, the dipstick is so thin I sure don't see how it does this.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 08:48:25 PM »

Flip the dip around the other side , still doing it? Grin

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
zimtok

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2009, 06:45:05 AM »

I know this is no very likely but...
Could the dipstick be under a point where the oil is dripping into the pan?
If oil dripped onto the dipstick it would be higher on the side it dripped onto and lower on the bottom side....

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

SmoothJazz

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 07:20:06 AM »

Gary,

All of the 6V92 engines that I ran only took 6.5 gallons which included the filter change.

Dan
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 07:35:15 AM »

I never changed the oil in a 6v92 that took 8.5 gals always 6.5 with the filter and some only 5.5 gals

good luck

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 08:13:07 AM »

As usual I am a week late and $1,000,000.00 short.
But I agree with the 6.? range on a 6V92 of all the buses I have changed oil in over the yrs they all had Detroits in them but 1 (the church slow rider's bus came from bought an MCI with a Cummins in it).

And they have ranged from 6 gallons to 10 gallons.
I have had mechanics doing the majority of the shop work now for several yrs and my memory is not fresh on which engine took what. But 6.5 +/- does sound right for a 6V92

What is strange is my uncle once had to MCI's with 8V71's in them both built the same month, same yr and one of them took 7 gallons and the other took 8.? the reason those stick in my mind I always thought it was strange that there was such a difference in them.

Our '05's with DD 60's in them take 10 gallons (40 qts according to service manual! LOL) and get changed at least once a month. ($ ouch!)
FWIW Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.  When I Flip the dip around, the empty side flips too, indicating that perhaps something on the dipstick tube is wiping the oil off one side.  However, it doesnít look like it was ďwipedĒ off, it looks like it never got any oil.  But if the wiper slipped down, that is the most likely explanation.  I will pull the dipstick tube this weekend and see if I can find the wiper stuck near the bottom.

The overfull mark reading makes me think I put in too much oil.  When I asked the MCI dealer how much oil it took, he told me 8.5 gallons, but it may have been my fault as I may have asked him about an 8V92.  That is what I had in my previous MC7.   I will have to look at my notes to see when I asked the question.  Looks like I may have to drain some of the new oil out before it does some damage.  Thanks so much for this information.

The comment about perhaps the oil dripping onto the dipstick does not apply, because I have taken this reading several times after filling the oil pan and even after running the engine.

Again, thank you all for this info.

Gary

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »

FYI, I just called my local MCI dealer to ask how much oil it takes for a 6V92 and the service manager asked around and told me 8 gallons.  (I thought I may have said 8V92 the last time) Just to be sure, after reading your replies, I called ABC Bus and their technical department asked around and told me 6 Gallons.

I guess I will have to rely on the dipstick reading.  But then again, how do I know the dipstick hasnít been changed.   This bus has not been maintained properly in the past, so I canít be sure it even has the correct dipstick in it.

The parts guy at ABC (who told me to call their tech support department in FL) told me it depends on if I have one or two filters on it.  I have only one (at least that I know of).  But the local ABC parts guy would not give me firm numbers, lawsuits you know.  Unfortunately this makes it difficult to get answers to a lot of things now.  Thank God for this BBS forum.

Gary
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 10:22:32 AM »

My memory says that the last time we discussed this that your bus is full when it is an inch from the top of the pan.

So to make sure mine was calibrated and correct I held the dipstick outside the motor and checked to see if the full mark aligned with a mark I drew an inch below the top of the oil pan. I found that my engine was over full at that point so I run it about a gallon low and that really helped with leakage and consumption issues.

I had a 6v92 that did exactly what you're describing and the general rule of thumb from the DD shops I talked to said always go with the high side.

Have you crossreferenced your serial # with a detroit shop for capacity?

6 1/2 gallons or 28 quarts seems to stick in my mind with my 6v92.

Hope it helps

RB

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 07:52:38 PM »

The only real way to find out is to drain the sump and refill it gradually while checking the dip stick.

If you do this it won't make any difference if the dipstick is original or not.

Do this without removing the filters or draining them.

The number of filters won't make any difference in the dipstick reading once they are saturated with oil.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: