Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 07:17:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wondering about leveling bed independent of the bus.  (Read 3003 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:50:57 AM »

I will probably install some kind of air bag leveling system at some point...but as previously note on this board the air bags do not have that much range of motion. I could augment this with blocking etc...but a simple idea has occured to me.  Maybe I'll make the bed adjustable for p/s,forward /aft. 
Just musing haven't really put my mind to it yet....has anyone else done this?  thanks as always...Patrick.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 01:24:53 PM »

Had not thought about it, but it could easliy be done with 4 12 volt linear actuators.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:04:54 PM »

Sound like a good idea but make sure the actuators can stand a little rough housing like grand kids jumping on the bed. LOL

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »

Don't motels charge .25 cents a minute for that? Huh

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 03:25:59 PM »

Thats funny Patrick, we thought of doing that, but, we laughed it off. It is good to hear someone else has thought of that.  Grin  But, dont see why it cant be done.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 03:35:34 PM »

But then you would need a fridge leveling system and a table leveling system.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 03:47:35 PM »

Glad to hear I'm not the only one to think of it.  Maybe I'll be the only one to do it.  I'm more thinking of the road trip kind of thing, dumb parking spot for the night, all crooked and I want to sleep.

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 05:07:44 PM »

Yep, we travel for work and stay in the walmart parking lots, sometimes several days, and it always leans. We try and park with the heads uphill. We would like to put levelers on the new bus, but we will have to wait a while on that. Not too worried about the table, fridge, etc., tho. Elec. fridge, so no worries. Grin Let us know how it works out for you. Really, it should work. Good luck

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 05:21:36 PM »

you would be suprise by the amount of leveling that can be achived by manualing controling the OEM airbags system.

With my 35' RTS (non tag axle) - I can get EACH corner of the bus to deflect up to about a maximum 12" (that's max deflection of any one corner at a time -  yes I know that the air bags don't move 12" - but remember the pivot point is the wheels and with the overhang in front and back of the bus the movement is AMPLIFIED - I use only a 3 point system  (my front air bag are tie together - from the factory) - by leaving some air in the front air bags - they will self-adjust - when using the rear air bags to tillt the bus side to side.

This way I never put more stress on my frame then the original desigh engineers intended - using 4 point could possiblely stress the frame
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:58:34 AM by RTS/Daytona » Logged

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
Brian Diehl

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »

I made my bed frame so we could level it.  I simply can't stand to sleep with my head downhill.  On my web page I show the base frame of the bed being painted (it is upside down).  http://home.earthlink.net/~diehls0792/BusSection2.html

I built another simple steel frame (2" angle iron) with two cross supports that goes on top of the frame base.  The top frame has a couple of pieces of angle iron in the corners that sit down next to the angle iron on the angles of the frame base.  This keeps the top frame on the bottom frame.  I plan to mount some kind of actuators on the corners in the future, but just use small pieces of plywood I cut to shim the frame.  I just lift up the top frame, slide the plywood shims under (between the top and base frames) in the corners and instantly I have a level bed.  I wouldn't be without this system!
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 04:05:28 AM »

My bed is across the back of the bus so I just move my pillow to the other side.

Leveling the bed is a good idea even if you have airbag leveling or not.  You may want to raise the head of the bed a little especially if too much campfire food bothers you. Shocked
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 05:35:05 AM by NewbeeMC9 » Logged

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:23 AM »

Water Bed Grin sorry was first thought..How heavy is your coach? There are take out leveling systems out of sticks and staples; cheap!most would handle 28,000lbs.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:39:10 AM »

Unless you have an Eagle or any other non air suspension bus, it is relatively easy to set up manual air suspension leveling system.  I have it on my transit (2 in the rear and 1 in the front) and it takes less than 1 minute to level out after pulling into the campsite.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jriddle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »

Three point airbag system works great for me. If I can't get it level then need to move to a new spot.

John

If It Can't Be Grown Then It Has To Be Mined
John Riddle
Wells NV
1984 MC9
gus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 02:53:33 PM »

Our bed is side to side.

If we can't find a level spot we use two pillows each, or more if necessary.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: