Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 01:08:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VIP Steering Wheel  (Read 1923 times)
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2006, 04:09:14 PM »

Hey All,

I have VIP steering wheel that was installed before i bought my shell.

My question is do you know how to remove the horn cover to unbolt it.

This is a very expensive wheel and I dont see any obvious way to pop the cover off or other options and I dont want to experiment.(Unless I have too) Grin

Anyone with first hand knowledge on this product line? Any tricks?

I have replaced many vehicle wheels, but this installation is clean and tight and no hints of removal.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:33:36 PM »

Cliff,
    Give Rich a call at International Bus & Parts 1-800-468-5287.  They sell the VIP wheels, he should be able to answer your question.  Jack
PS: Tell him I said HI!

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 06:20:42 PM »

Hi Ciff,
My VIP center cap just pulls off...it's a friction fit. Just get something under the center cap (protect the hub) and the center pulls straight out...no turning or locks or screws. Only the center moveable horn button part comes out...the black steering wheel ring stays with the steering wheel. Don't try to pull the outer ring off. I have the non-'very expensive VIP wheel...has a black center hub with moveable horn in the center...stainless spokes and leather-like outer...I'll assume that they all come apart similarly.
I have to pull the steering wheel and re-align it every time I turn the steering box adjustment. I've done that twice, and the steering box adjustments have improved the steering feel...but I'm not sure about "centering" or anything else really. The steering isn't binding at all. May take a little more out of it soon. You guys with the GMs have the "sports car" steeing. Mine ain't exactly a slot car.
It's ready to go again and I'm not gonna screw with any mechanicals till I return....lest I terminally alter something!
See you at Timmonsville! JR
BTW, did you get the muffler repaired? Do you still have a muffler?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 06:25:27 PM by NJT5047 » Logged

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 06:20:52 PM »

Rich I have one on my bus. It fits real tight, just take someting small that won't scar and gently pry each side out. It just clips in.
Beatenbo

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 06:23:38 PM »

Here it is.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 06:30:32 PM »

Nice looking dash Beatenbo!  That's the same steeing wheel that I have...the 3" center prys out...
Wish my dash looked like that!  MC9s got ugly dashes...can't read the things when driving in the sun. 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
Beatenbo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 06:37:58 PM »

I had a 96A3 before and the gauges set so deep you could't see the in the day. I thought several times about spacing and raising them flush.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 06:56:26 PM »

Hay Guy's,

Thats the same wheel I have also...  Funny, It looks like my dash and wheel in my bus

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 07:36:54 PM »

Cliff, I'm not sure what yor vip wheel looks like. If it looks like the one pictured below on another reply I can't help. If your vip wheel has a rectangle center maybe I can. Mine is the vip smartwheel but they also make the rectangle without the buttons, anyways mine on the backside of the rectangle center has a hole in it at an angle, you put your screwdriver deep in the hole & unscrew the single philips head screw then the centerpiece unhinges. Hope this helps. Ray
Rich (Prevost)

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:59:52 AM »

JR is correct...................

HI JACK CONRAD
I made it move for you
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 12:12:03 PM by DrivingMissLazy » Logged
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 04:03:43 PM »

Heres a picture of my wheel of off the VIP site

It is different other than the obvious in that only the center rubber comes off(part pushed on for horn) and not the whole center cap.

I had tried to remove it with a small screwdriver originally, but it did not want to come off.

A little brave Undecided prying and it came off, it was the only way that made sense, but what a fit.

My hats off to the VIP people on an excellent product and fit.

Anyway, fixed my turn signal switch, figured out an annoying rattle and put the wheel back on with the spokes in the proper place.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 06:58:09 PM »

Cliff, that's a race car steering wheel! No wonder your bus is so much faster than mine! Cheesy
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 02:47:24 PM »

Hi JR,

JR wrote:Cliff, that's a race car steering wheel ! No wonder your bus is so much faster than mine!

Now I know you are aware of what a sportscar it is. (except in NC 8-9% grades)

The wheel is fuzzy to conceal the actual style from all you copycats or wannabees Grin

Wait until I get the Spinners Shocked

Good to hear from you

Cliff

Mark Twain
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: