Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:16:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No Power ---- Help  (Read 7288 times)
gus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2009, 02:45:33 PM »

Matt,

I've had fuses do the same thing. Checked out ok with an ohmmeter but things worked with new fuses.

My best guess is corrosion at the fuse block and when old fuses are pulled it wipes the corrosion.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2009, 04:16:12 PM »

In responce to a couple of emails I received. I did not help Matt with his problem, I called after Pete and others had help him. I was the last guy to the party. I am NOT taking any credit for helping Matt get going.

so go )(*&%^#$@#!@!@ your self's. and you know who you are.

Don
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 04:23:10 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:18:10 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2009, 04:40:05 PM »

Matt,

My apologies.  I posted to you that your problem was the same as the one ACE fought.  His came on after opening a bat tray.  That was the problem where I learned that the DDEC needs two 12 V lines, each fused, to run.  Loosing a sing;e fuse will disable ONLY one bank of injectors.  Surely I could not even begin to tell you what the pinout would be or where the fuses actually were located.....but I tried.  Never looked at the topic to see if it was posted.  Hope that is a lesson to all of us.

I do have some advice for you though when it comes to trouble shooting:  If you have a really "poor", resistive connection in a fuse you will still read the full 12V if you OPEN the circuit to check the voltage.  Once connected, a resistive circuit will drop the voltage to near zero volts.  You need to check the voltage with the load connected.  Mostly you have a circuit simply OPEN up and you get zero volts any which way.  If it starts getting confusing you gotta start measuring.  I think you fuse are good.  Your fuse holders are probably corroded or the temper is out of the holder contact.  Check the old fuses with an ohmmeter and if they are good you need new holders.  I am making a point of this because if it is the holders you are set up for another "failure" during this trip.  Hope I am not meddling.  Good Luck,

John

Don,  I understand your heartburn and see where the disconnect came from.  I think he was trying to acknowledge some and not take credit away from anyone.  You are pretty low on anybodies list of interlopers that would grab credit.  Exactly the opposite, I would think. Be well.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2009, 05:02:25 PM »

This was not from Matt, it was form some people that do not post but lurk and think they need to take up for some that may have been slighted in some way.

I get some of the nasty emails when I have disagreed or had a different opinion then others on this and other boards. They never do this in public, only by PM. They are the COWARDS that try to make life hard ON the rest of us, at times I think they want the boards to go away. go figure

I don't proclaim to know every thing but am willing to help any where I can. When I don't know I don't give false info.

Please every body that is on this board this is NOT directed to you.

we have lost some good people because of this and it can't be stopped.

Sorry for my rant.

Don
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »

Don, take with a grain of salt very seldom will I answer a email from this board the people I answer have my email address remember buddy every time you get p***** off that takes time off your life LOL and there is not much you an do about idiots

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »

Don,

If you know who they are, hit the delete button and don't give them the opportunity to piss you off. That is nuts, shame on them! I know of a couple and I just ignore them, it's not worth my blood pressure! Wink

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 05:20:51 PM »

I am always amazed at the number of people on this board that are ready, willing and able to help others in times of need, be it in the form of advice, labour, support, or just conversation.

More specific to the problems in this case, I am sooooo glad my old 8V-71 mechanical has no electronics to baffle me. Some air, a little fuel, a dash of compression, maybe a wee snort of the magic elixer  and it's gonna run.

When I went looking for a bus, I knew I wanted to stay away from the electronically managed engines. They may give better performance and a little better economy, but the thought of something as small as a failed fuse or bad ground connection leaving me (us) stranded scares me.

Glad you're mobile again!

Mark

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
Sam 4106

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 05:28:09 PM »

Hi Guys,
I would like to learn from Matt's misfortune with two questions please. Does he have DDEC II or DDEC III and where are the fuses in question  located for a DDEC II? Thanks.
I agree with Jim about Pete being helpful. He recently helped me by sending me the trouble shooting guide for my Jake brake. With that guide I was able to locate and repair the problem. A loose wire on the relay was all that was wrong. Thanks again Pete.
Sam 4106/MC 8

1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »

In the electronic age, it might be a good idea to get the high tech dielectric spray lube of your choice and use it like we rust proof cars up here: hose down everything on some regular basis.

Spray up the back and fronts of connectors, pins, holders, connections, EVERYTHING.

For example, I use Termin-8tr  http://www.spectra-ssa.com/termin8tr.html

Big Transit here has replaced dielectric grease with this stuff.

There are many others similar products out there.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 07:15:19 PM »

What a great TEAM you guys are. I know one guy that is pounding that California pavement whistling down the miles. I past him around Fort Stockton on Saturday evening. You can,t miss that coach.

Thank you everyone and have a great Thanksgiving.

John

PS We are in Corpus Christy Texas Walmart.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 07:32:23 PM »

OK FWIW

I did nothing but tell Matt to look for where I have personally had problems! (8V92 will do the same thing as a 6V92 by the way, seen it on both! Also can't blame MCI or Setra even tough it has been one of each! LOL!)

Also Matt if it were me. I'd do 2 things!
1) go to Napa, or other good supply and get new weather tight inline fuse holders and replace them all 3 now!
(BTDT had repeated trouble until I did) It cost the guy with the MCI an 8.5 hr service call for me to drive 4 hrs to his bus, 15 min stop at a parts store on the way for quality fuse holders, 15 mins to change the holders, and 4 hrs home! (Hey I can't help it that he ignored my advice the first time it happened and I told him what the problem was. His reply was "Oh that's ok now I cleaned them up and they are good as new now!")
But when it broke down in AL, he said "Naw that ain't the problem, it's something else. I ain't had no trouble with those any more. So I need you to take some tools and go see if you can fix it! I'm half way there with a replacement bus now, I'll wait there to drive it home if we can fix it!" (boy was he pissed when I had those fuse holders with me, and they fixed it in 15 mins.!)

2) Do as Busarrior suggested!  "get the high tech dielectric spray lube of your choice and use it like we rust proof cars up here: hose down everything on some regular basis.
Spray up the back and fronts of connectors, pins, holders, connections, EVERYTHING."

Now to set the record straight, Don would have called Matt sooner, but he called me to see about the 2 missed calls he had from me last night. And I kept him on the phone yacking to long! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
RTS/Daytona

Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 07:50:40 PM »

IM SOOOOO CONFUSED

DON are you mad at me Huh - I don't think I did anything to piss you off - in fact I'm sure of it

I just called Matt and helped guide him to the check the voltage for each injector bank - I also remembered from working with Ace that the fuses were wired directly to the battery and where in the MCI battery box

DON - I believe that many think that you are mad at me - Please post and tell them - IT JUST AIN"T SO

I have NO IDEA why any lurkers would see something wrong in all of us helping another Bus person Huh?

Pete RTS/Daytona ( sitting here - late at night - not understanding what the "F" is going on  !!!!

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »

Don, take with a grain of salt very seldom will I answer a email from this board the people I answer have my email address remember buddy every time you get p***** off that takes time off your life LOL and there is not much you an do about idiots
good luck

Clifford,

Now I know why you haven't answered my PM's Shocked. I am on your ignore list,  Grin Cheesy Grin. I realized that I don't have your email address. Do you mind sharing?

Don, Don't worry about those yahoo's. There are some in every bunch. We all know that you help whenever possible. You still helped Matt, even though he was going. Sleep easy Grin.

Pete, Our posts just crossed. I don't know for sure, but here is what I am 99% sure happened. Matt got ahold of you first, and you helped him figure out what happened, and got him running. After that, Don calls Matt, and Matt is going just fine. Don mentions that same things, that you did to get Matt going, and Matt says "that is what worked (or something close to that). Then Don posts, and says that Matt is up and running.

This is where people get confused. Some lurkers on the board, see Don post, and thinks (very erroneously), that Don is posting and taking credit for getting Matt up and running. They then see fit to write Don some nasty PM's to "put him in his place." Don then get's tired of the PM's, and asks them to stop....

So I think that is what happened. Some persons decided to blast Don for no reason, and he was just making sure that they understood what happened, and he was asking them to stop...

So that's my take. Now you can go to bed, Pete, and not worry about it Grin

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »

Pete,

I don't know 100% as I haven't picked up the phone and got it straight from the horse's mouth (or is it the other end? Grin), but no I don't think Don is mad at you!

You know how frustrating it sometimes get here on the board, when you answer someones request for help. And then all the sudden the silent know it alls come out of nowhere telling you your wrong about this or that, or my favorite "ain't no way that is the problem.....he said yada yada yada!")

It has been recently brought to my attention lately (both by personal experience, and others experiences) we have some "lurky loos" on the board with nothing better to do than to lurk in the shadows, and then for what ever reason send helping members hateful, rude and annoying PM's or private emails blasting them for this or that and hiding in the shadows while doing it!

Well I'm here to tell ya, if ya don't like what someone posts don't read it. And if ya do read it, mind yer own damn bizness! If you can't respond in public, keep yer opinion to yerself! I can guarantee ya if I got something to say, I got the balls to say it where any & everybody can read it! Why don't you? (again as Don said you know who ya are!)

OK I'm off my soap box now!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: