Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 03:28:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composting Toilet  (Read 7500 times)
Old Scool Bus

« on: November 26, 2009, 12:32:17 PM »

In my quest both in being green & getting rid of the messy, smelly and bulky space robbing black tank I would like to build a composting toilet. Not a bucket to poop in but a true fast composting toilet such as the commercial models you find for $3000.00.

They claim full time usage by a family of 2 or 3 for 6 months to a year before needing dumped and no odor. Anybody have any first hand experience or knowledge of how these operate and ideas of building one. If I could find a used or reasonably priced base that does the composting I would consider buying that part but have my own plans and design for the toilet itself. 
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:46:00 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:12:42 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 12:51:37 PM »

Solar
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:12:14 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 01:18:16 PM »

how much solar?

Lots!

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:59:23 PM »

Sorry I asked Huh
Just Dallas

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:36:36 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »

Dont Be SORRY...Just Answer The Question. We Are Trying To Answer Your Question But Need More Info First.

Plays Well With Others...10-4

JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
John316

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 05:12:12 PM »

Wait a minute, fella. Let's slow down, and be an adult.

If you ask a question, expect a response. I have noticed this on a couple of threads, and I think I will finally comment. If you ask a question, and don't like the response, then suck it up, take a deep breath, and answer polity, and in this case, give the requested info. People need to learn to have thick skin, a ducks back, and a broad set of shoulders. Really, I find this very amusing. If you ask a question, and somebody else asks for clarification, just simply answer the man. Don't get all offended and leave with hurt feelings....

I think, this kind of stuff will hurt the bus board. Don't let the stuff bother you...and besides, asking a simple question, should not be offensive.

FWIW

I will get off of my soapbox now Grin.

God bless,

John

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 05:35:30 PM »

Folks on one of the sailing forums I visit have asked the same thing.
The consensus is that there is no free lunch...while it may work in a shack up in the mountains...it is not practical for as much use as it would see in a bus or boat. 
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 05:52:33 PM »

I replied to how it would be powered "SOLAR" I have the power & heating issue covered. I currently have a Solar PV panel & a Solar hot water panel and building a solar heat collector.

Was asking if anybody had first hand knowledge how they were built or worked. Not an uninformed answer of "Lots"

So again, does anybody actually know how they work and a good idea of how to build one?
John316

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 05:57:52 PM »

Was asking if anybody had first hand knowledge how they were built or worked. Not an uninformed answer of "Lots"

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You do need to lighten up, and not take life so seriously. I was replying to Dallas....Besides, "lots" could have meant anything. It could have meant that they were used in "lots" of conversions etc....

It's all okay, pal. You'll be fine Shocked.

BTW, that was a better attempt at asking a question. Remember, people are taking their time to answer you. Whenever one asks a question, they should be grateful for replies....

God bless,

John

bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 06:58:38 PM »

There is also some of us that would like to know what it takes to run that system. A lot, is not a very informative answer. Remeber we all learn from the answers to your questions.

73 MCI-7
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 07:13:56 PM »

I don't know first hand but......One of the Flxible's that was at TBR this year had one, been in place for several years. He was taking it out, don't remember why. I did notice a foul smell though, I was polite enough to not say anything. I do know they use a lot of energy in order to do the work.

One of the Eagles had one of these installed. I do not know anything about it other than it's Marine and the owner really liked it, had it for several years.

If you Google you should be able to come up with power usage.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 07:23:39 PM »

Sooooo... From what I can glean from this.....A composting toilet needs power to "heat" the material?  As much sense as that makes, how hot does the "container" need to be kept?  Ambient where I intend to be during the winter months should be 65 degrees during the day and maybe 40 at night.  I I used engine coolant for heating could I go without heat for a couple weeks and then let it catch up?  My propane will run my refer for months and what is the comparison in usage.  I don't want you to do my research but any discussion would be much appreciated.

I would spend a considerable amt of propane to get the space my Black Tank occupies.  Not to mention the plumbing and freeze proofing....emptying...maintenance.  If it gets emptied annually it is a time saver as well.  I have a great deal of heartburn with dealing with a system that contains this much shiX just as a matter of personal ethics and I, for one, would think long and hard.  $3,000 is the deal breaker, though.  I wonder if the Green Sites on the net would have info?  Just figure the odds on that.

Help!

Hope you are all full  of turkey and feeling down right nappy,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: