Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 01:51:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Composting Toilet  (Read 7709 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2009, 06:52:13 AM »

.......NEVER MIND.........  THOUGHT BETTER OF MY POST   Grin
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 06:54:54 AM by thejumpsuitman » Logged

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2009, 07:18:32 AM »

Thanks for rethinking jumpsuitman.  This thread has the potential to give some information that will be very helpful to some people.  But it also keeps teetering on the edge of blowing up into a big "stink". (pun intended)

So let's be careful to keep the discussion civil and discussing the topic without being critical of the people interested in trying something different.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws and impracticallities as needed as long as it is done in a fact based way without being critical of the person's motivations or intelligence for wanting to try it.

Most of us have done (or wanted to do) something unique in our conversions that someone else might ponder "what were they thinking".  In fact as OSB pointed out, the very act of converting an old bus is met with skepticism by many non bus nuts who tend to think we are crazy for doing it.  (Which we already knew that, that is why we call ourselves bus nuts.)

Yet that is one of the best things about bus conversion - we get to do it our way.  So let's keep the spirit of discussion helpful and supportive, even when your point is "here is why I wouldn't do it".
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2009, 07:38:10 AM »

Most of us have done (or wanted to do) something unique in our conversions that someone else might ponder "what were they thinking".  In fact as OSB pointed out, the very act of converting an old bus is met with skepticism by many non bus nuts who tend to think we are crazy for doing it.  (Which we already knew that, that is why we call ourselves bus nuts.)

Yet that is one of the best things about bus conversion - we get to do it our way.  So let's keep the spirit of discussion helpful and supportive, even when your point is "here is why I wouldn't do it".

If being illogical, whimsical, unorthodox, or impulsive was a crime, I'd have been hanged years ago as a repeat offender!   Grin

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
cody

« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »

Personally I find this interesting and has potential, I just don't have a clue how to go about it, so I'm following it in the shadows, one thing that comes to mind is, if i remember correctly, there was a system years ago that used the exhaust of a coach to incinerate the gray water.  I don't remember much about it other than I thought at the time thats a perfect solution for gray water but what to do about the black stuff, this appears to be the perfect extention of the idea, I'm open to the idea and I'd really like this thread to expand on it more.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »

Thanks for rethinking jumpsuitman.  This thread has the potential to give some information that will be very helpful to some people.  But it also keeps teetering on the edge of blowing up into a big "stink". (pun intended)

So let's be careful to keep the discussion civil and discussing the topic without being critical of the people interested in trying something different.  There is nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws and impracticallities as needed as long as it is done in a fact based way without being critical of the person's motivations or intelligence for wanting to try it.

Great post HighTechRedneck

Its just to bad someone feels  they need to put me on the ignore list
Too that person i am sorry if i upset you

Lonnie

1976 4905
cody

« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »

Lonnie, I've been married for over 38 years, being ignored is not only a regular occurance, it's sometimes a welcome one lol.
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2009, 08:47:34 AM »

... one thing that comes to mind is, if i remember correctly, there was a system years ago that used the exhaust of a coach to incinerate the gray water.  I don't remember much about it other than I thought at the time thats a perfect solution for gray water but what to do about the black stuff, ...

We've discussed that system here before; you might check the archives.  Although, to be honest, it might have been back on the old board software, so would not be archived here.

IIRC, the system actually incinerated all waste, not just gray, but it was only available on gasoline coaches, because it requires a higher exhaust temperature.  The system was discontinued because it had too many problems; I'm sure you can imagine the sort of mess it might create when it was not working properly.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2009, 08:48:19 AM »

if i remember correctly, there was a system years ago that used the exhaust of a coach to incinerate the gray water.  

Cody,
   I think that was the Thermosan or Thermasan.  I think it was an option the on the GMC motorhome.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »

Did Lonnie say something? If so, and if it was worth reading, would somebody else copy and past for me?  Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin

God bless,

John

(I am just kidding, Lonnie).

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »

Did Lonnie say something? If so, and if it was worth reading, would somebody else copy and past for me?  Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin

God bless,

John

(I am just kidding, Lonnie).

Your correct I agree with you 100%.  In my case I have no skills with bus conversions. I never get to post anything good. This is just my way of posting something LOL
I have no problem with being on someone ignore list.  However I am the kind of person who would rather get along with everyone.

Cody
Been there way to many times

Lonnie

1976 4905
cody

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2009, 09:29:27 AM »

Jack, I think thats where I heard it now that you mention it, I've got a revcon, thats the oldsmobile version of the GMC, I'm thinking it was an option available so I'm thinking your right, apparently it didn't catch on but that was a while back, technology has moved forward, at least I think it has, possibly it could be made to work now.  Back in the 70's a lot of good ideas were trashed only to reappear under a different idea and format, I remember when jason was discussing the possibility of a chat room with actual voice back in the 90's how people screamed it would never work, now paltalk has 40 million nics registered and 70k to 80k on the program in around 5K rooms at any given point with full audio and full video, the times have changed.  As these discussions progress or regress as the case may be and I hear about what absolutely cannot be done, it reminds me of things back then lol.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2009, 10:08:02 AM »

Oh just think of the possibilities if we could propel vehicles from burning "CRAP". There wouldn't be a need of any "Gas" stations at all anymore in the Washington DC Area. Or really anywhere else for that matter there is enough "CRAP" coming out of DC to run the universe for infinity! Grin

OK, I'll go back to the dungun quitely now. And OSB sorry for stealing your thread for this infinite wisdom!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
47FLXclipper

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2009, 07:57:46 PM »

maybe some here could benefit from a little understanding of the composting process and composting toilets generally

I've got one of these, excellent unit using very minimal power, which can easily be supplied by a very small solar unit, including a self-contained solar exhaust fan - heat isn't vital unless you keep your living space temperatures at freezing most of the time, and I find a decent room temp easy to arrange in a room where nudity is common Wink

the primary requirement for proper operation of a composting toilet and prevention of odors is positive air flow to maintain aerobic conditions, 'agitation' requirements are very minimal, and food prep wastes [veg, not meat] can also be disposed of in them

for OSB, the details are here

the elimination of any need to deal with a black tank is a fair trade off for me, especially as I've been an avid composter for decades

Bill

1947 Flxible Clipper on Vancouver Island
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2009, 08:03:51 PM »

Sean as I said before I respect your intelligence but I'm sure you have on your bus things that others would consider "over kill" or "waste of time" but you wanted for your own personal reasons.

I never or at least don't believe I have said I'm definitely going to build this but I would like to. If I could find a correctly sized basement unit for a steal I would buy and try. then build the toilet part myself.

I have some other undisclosed motive or all I'm doing on my bus beyond the green factor and cool factor.

trust me I have researched and asked this on many forums to no avail.

I had to change computers so i cannot post links that I have collected over the last year. i even passed up on a romantic vacation to go to a green fair in Co. to learn a few things about this. Not much help though.

I'm looking into gray water filtering and ways to reduce water usage as much as possible.
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2009, 08:13:32 PM »

maybe some here could benefit from a little understanding of the composting process and composting toilets generally

I've got one of these, excellent unit using very minimal power, which can easily be supplied by a very small solar unit, including a self-contained solar exhaust fan - heat isn't vital unless you keep your living space temperatures at freezing most of the time, and I find a decent room temp easy to arrange in a room where nudity is common Wink

the primary requirement for proper operation of a composting toilet and prevention of odors is positive air flow to maintain aerobic conditions, 'agitation' requirements are very minimal, and food prep wastes [veg, not meat] can also be disposed of in them

for OSB, the details are here

the elimination of any need to deal with a black tank is a fair trade off for me, especially as I've been an avid composter for decades

Bill

Now we're getting somewhere, Thank you Bill.

I have been looking into that model but price is steep.  how long between dumps & does it work as well as they claim?  Any details you can give will be appreciated pro's and con's.

again Thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: