Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 08:50:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help with coleman basement units  (Read 4001 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »

I know what you mean about height, Keith. There are very few church overhangs, that we can pull under (except for the lager to mega churches, all of those are usually fine). That just means, toting farther Grin.

Hope you get it figured out.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 09:58:33 PM »

Thank you John, but I am also thinking about trees that are trimmed for semi-trailers that do not care about branches hitting the corners, and dragging across the roof.

Leaves me no choice but to find a way to set up a system under the floor. I can be very creative, if I know what I am able to do with the equipment that came with the coach, or if i can find a system that will do the job powewred by the generator.

Thanks again

Keith

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2009, 04:10:46 AM »

Good points, Mr. Nick. I had not considered that situation, so now to think about reworking the factory A/C. That is a scary situation; you have just given me a project I am not sure that I am truly excited about !!!!!

Having removed the front heat/cool/fan box from under the coach, and used the space (presuming I would go for gen-powered, are there options for a simple replacement set of coils to add that is A/C only. I can arrange the air distribution, so how would you suggest I decide what I need to distribute the cooled air.

Can a horizontally-mounted set of coils be mounted vertically? If so, I know how to re-install that unit, which is 54" X 36" X 10". I can remount that unit up high inside the coach above a doorway (duck your head,please), and duct it along the ceiling, or by hiding it behind a cabinet in the divider between rooms, if I can rotate it to vertical.

I can (another option) reduct the rear unit to send air to the front area in the coach, but I am reducing the system capacity, so what else has to change, if that is a possible option?? Do I remove one of the radiators from the system to balance things?? Will the same compressor still do the job??

Now I am full of questions - my ignorance is showing, but then how does one learn without asking the questions?

Hopefully, I am not upsetting anyone by having to talk this through?

Thank you all.

Keith

PCC,

If you can't reinstall the evaporator in it's compartment, resizing the coils may be a big challange to do $$ wise..

Another idea would be to install a Red Dot A/C system. One for the dash and 1 for the midship area.

Do a search on Red Dot, they have many different options and a phone call would get someone to design it for ya..

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 04:57:19 AM »

Thank you John, but I am also thinking about trees that are trimmed for semi-trailers that do not care about branches hitting the corners, and dragging across the roof.

Leaves me no choice but to find a way to set up a system under the floor. I can be very creative, if I know what I am able to do with the equipment that came with the coach, or if i can find a system that will do the job powered by the generator.

Thanks again

Keith

Keith,

You hit the nail right on the head, about trees. Those are our biggest enemy. You wouldn't believe where we have been, though Shocked Grin. Seriously! We do carry an electric pole chainsaw, that we can trim branches, if necessary. We are right at 13 tall (with the roof airs), and I am glad were aren't any taller.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 05:00:05 AM »

When bay space is at a premium and height is a problem the Crusiair split system is the way to go ( not to be confused with basement air) along with Red Dot dash air

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
PCC

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 05:19:30 AM »

If I cannot re-install the evaporator (inside unit?) in its compartment, or the second condensor (there were two and I removed the one for the generator radiator cooling), then I must redo and redesign, correct???

The system had leaks, and the plumbing is fitted into the floor running the length of the coach, so I decided it was too much trouble and costly to repair - so I started pulling the end units - front only so far.

Did I make the wrong choice? Can I use the same compressor still, if I reconnect (not touched yet) the rear system (evaporator), driver's system, and one condensor unit, and then repair the leaks in the plumbing. If I recall, the two condensors were plumbed in series, so one evaporator (plus driver's) and one condensor should make the system match up???  Am I explaining it correctly? I am no A/C systems guy (you know I am not kidding !!)

Am I asking too many questions for this forum?  I hope not. Are you going to charge me tuition?

Keith

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 07:48:42 AM »

Pcc, what does this have to do with help for our coleman basement units?Huh Roll Eyes. No, just kidding, but as mentioned by John, you will get more help with creating your own thread to get the attention and help you need. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here willing to help. Good luck.
 Now, we have solved our problem with what to do about 2 units. We are going to duct one unit to cool whole bus, and the other one to cool just the front area to keep it cool going down the road, as was suggested by someone from the boards to hubby. Thanks for the help, once again. Grin

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
PCC

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »

Sorry, Ruthi. I butted in because your questions seemed to run parallel to the questions I had, but I have taken too much of your space.

Having never started a thread of my own, I guess now is as good a time as ever to learn how it is done, right ?!?!?!

Thank you for your forgiveness.

Keith

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 08:09:51 AM »

Sorry, Ruthi. I butted in because your questions seemed to run parallel to the questions I had, but I have taken too much of your space.

Having never started a thread of my own, I guess now is as good a time as ever to learn how it is done, right ?!?!?!

Thank you for your forgiveness.

Keith

Hey Keith don't be sorry about trying to learn! If you'll click on all topics, you will see a little tab that says "start new topic" just click on that and type a subject line. Then in the message body put what ya want in and post. Grin  BK  Grin

by the way I sent you this same msg as a PM. But then I thought "what if he hasn't learned how PM's work yet either?" LOL! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
PCC

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »

What's a PM !!!!!!  Smiley)

I did see the marker, and clicked it, and WOW - another something new !!

Thank you

I did reply

philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »

While we are on  the topic of A/C's....
How do you  convert tones  to BTU's
Like, if the  bus came  with a  15ton system, and I have 2 10K BTU a/c's, what  percentage  of the factory cooling do I have?

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
PCC

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2009, 09:20:56 PM »

Here is a link to a glossary of, and conversion tables for, air conditioning/refrigeration systems.

http://www.bry-air.com/files/trc/Useful%20Conversion%20Factors.pdf

I believe that the conversion is 12,000 BTU = 1 ton.

Nice talking with you earlier, Sir.

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2009, 03:14:24 AM »

While we are on  the topic of A/C's....
How do you  convert tones  to BTU's
Like, if the  bus came  with a  15ton system, and I have 2 10K BTU a/c's, what  percentage  of the factory cooling do I have?

Simple, There 12,000 btu's to a ton. There are 9,000 btu's to a hourse power.

Good Luck
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
philiptompkjns

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2009, 07:56:53 AM »

thanks guys, that makes these roof/window/portable units seem futile.

1990 102a3... Just got started, don't  know  what I'm doing.
PCC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2009, 02:35:58 PM »

I know the feeling (futile) as I work to cool my meat packer !!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: