Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 10:29:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any comments on front mounting a generator like a diesel pusher?  (Read 3708 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 08:14:13 AM »

The difference between a Eagle and a Dina is the Dina is a shorter wheel base on a truck frame and you can adjust the front axle weight with the air tags same with Prevost and MCI

The problem with the air bag idea is the Dina uses Torsilastic suspension like an Eagle.  Air bags are only on the tag axle.

I was thinking about putting batteries up there instead of the generator, but I realized the batteries weigh more the generator!

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 08:33:10 AM »

Maybe I wasn't clear Brian but I did say adjust the front axle weight with the air tags

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »

Maybe I wasn't clear Brian but I did say adjust the front axle weight with the air tags

Sorry, I thought it said air bags, not air tags.  Dina is pretty specific about running exactly 43 PSI in the tag axle.  The regulator is froze at 43 lbs, but I suppose I could try a new regulator that the adjuster works on.  I thiink I have a couple of new air regulators laying around that would work.  (Didn't buy them for the bus.)

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

Brian, I think it will work out. All the research we have done on it, it appears to be a workable plan, and we dont think the weight will be a problem. We sure wouldnt have done this if we had any doubts. It will be very easy to slide in and out, and the front bumper is modified for it, and is almost finished. We are doing a little extra fiberglass work on it now. Our gen is a powertech. This is a backup gen for us. The main one is a 12 kw. That was a huge wasted space area, so it worked out great. I will be posting some new pics of the bus and the modifications shortly. Good luck Brian, and if you have any questions, give us a call. Ruthi

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 10:31:32 AM »

When converting a transit bus, the big problem is where to put the generator.  When I originally bought the bus, I eyed the front section by the drivers seat as where to mount the generator.  I bought the Powertech 10kw with remote mounted radiator.  I was at first going to make a slide out tray type, until I saw the big support beams I'd have to cut for the bumper.  Since transits have reinforced bumpers, I wanted to keep them in place.  I still used the area next to the front drivers seat for the generator, but made a permanent generator compartment with 1/4" steel floor and 3/4" plywood walls bolted to the bumper frames.  The generator had to be installed through the front door with a cherry picker, and mounted backwards-with the generator head facing forward.  The access is through a top door in the bus.  Sounds weird, but you work on the engine from above and can get to both sides easily.  The only time I would have to pull the generator is if I had to work on the bell end of the alternator.  The radiator is mounted under the drivers seat with a pull through squirrel cage blower and 2-speed belt driven 1/2hp motor-high for driving, low for quiet night time use. The compartment is so tight that the air cleaner is also mounted outside the compartment.  For ventilation, I have a 250cfm inline bathroom blower on a rheostat to push air through the compartment.  Has worked well, and even Dick Wright says it is quieter then most generators-although not quiet enough for me (it is much quieter then the Onan "quiet" diesels).  It was a lot of work, but has been trouble free since installing 15 years ago.  My weight distribution is 10,500lb on the front, 20,500 on the rear. Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »

I installed my 6.5 Onan  between the front axle and the front bumper.  I have no ride issues or handling issues.

Not sure what the Onan weighs but I would guess it is close to the weight of the spare tire compartment if I had the compartment and the spare inside it.

The last time I weight the front axle at the scales it was only 3730 kg so less than 9000 lbs

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 04:24:57 PM »

Hmm.  I didn't consider the weight of the spare tire I will be removing so that will help.  The tire and wheel must weigh 100 lbs easy.

I'm going to have to talk to Ken about this again as it appears a fairly major piece of the frame would have to be removed unless he put the generator in a different direction than I am thinking.  It would sure help if I actually removed the spare tire to get a clearer picture of the situation.

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 04:42:44 PM »

Brian,

You are correct, that the tire and the wheel (if steel) are each over 100 lbs. I believe they are about 100-120 lbs each.
I have not tried to pick up a genset lately, but I have found out how old I have gotten recently, moving 24.5's around....

Good Luck with your genset relo. project.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2009, 04:47:22 PM »

Brian, it would be closer to 250 lbs. Our gen weighs close to 350 lbs. Also, you would need to remove the spare tire winch and pulley system. We left 2 inches of the front cross member to support the front of the frame rail. Also, installing the gen only took one day, including the welding. Your bumper is in good shape, so it wont take as much time to modify it for the gen. We had to do a lot of fiberglass work on the bumper to get it back nice.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2009, 04:50:34 PM »

You are correct, that the tire and the wheel (if steel) are each over 100 lbs. I believe they are about 100-120 lbs each.
I have not tried to pick up a genset lately, but I have found out how old I have gotten recently, moving 24.5's around....

I know my genset weighs around 515 lbs.  It was put in with a forklift at a buddy's house.  He is so busy I don't know if he would do it again especially since he quit the hobby we were both in.

I didn't realize a steel 24.5" wheel and tire weigh more than 200 lbs combined.  No wonder it is such a struggle to move one around.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 06:04:13 PM »

Brian, it would be closer to 250 lbs. Our gen weighs close to 350 lbs. Also, you would need to remove the spare tire winch and pulley system. We left 2 inches of the front cross member to support the front of the frame rail. Also, installing the gen only took one day, including the welding. Your bumper is in good shape, so it wont take as much time to modify it for the gen. We had to do a lot of fiberglass work on the bumper to get it back nice.

I have the same Powertech generator as you have in your GMC except mine is 8 KW instead of 12 KW like yours is.  I think they use the same enclosure for both.  The manual says it weighs 515 lbs.

Did you install your generator parallel to the bumper or parallel to the length of the bus?  I can't see getting mine to fit unless I install it parallel to the bumper.  I'm looking forward to pictures of the installation.

I am accumulating a huge list of projects to do next spring/summer.  The guys in my group are talking about going out to Reno twice next year so I might not have as much time as I thought to get things done.

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »

It is parallel with the bus, inside the frame. I dont see how you could install it parallel with the bumper. You would have to cut out the supports for the bumper. The gen that we are installing up front is the 8 kw gen, not the 12.

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2009, 07:52:10 PM »

I think there is enough room between the frame rails to mount my generator parallel to the bumper, but I would have to measure again to be sure.  Mounting the generator parallel to the length of the bus would be better but I think the generator will hit the cross member.  My fully enclosed Powertech is 36" long if my memory serves ms.

rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2009, 08:46:25 PM »

For what it is worth, all of the motorhome units I have seen/worked on have been longitudinal (crank parallel to the frame).  but it really should not matter. 

Having said that, the side air inlet on the PowerTech might be affected by a side mounting.  The layout for servicing would suggest that the inlet side would be mounted to the front.   I really can't think of anything that would be bad about that situation.  It will not be exposed to direct ingestion of rain (I am told that the components in the main box are weather resistant).  I don't think there would be any air flow issues.  If there would be a problem, you could make a deflector shield of some sort.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 06:25:11 AM »

Brian, I think there is only about 27 inches across.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: