Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 16, 2014, 12:26:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60' Prevost Artic in Boulder, CO  (Read 1521 times)
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2006, 11:00:25 PM »

I was at my usual post in right field for my Monday fastpitch game tonight and spotted an H5-60 parked along the curb just down from the field we play on. Kinda hard to miss. After the game, me and my boys wandered over to check it out.

It was all white and had a Wisconsin motorhome plate on it. All of the windows had custom shades pulled tight, and large ones over the entire front, so I couldn't peek inside. The DOT info was still on the side of it... some outfit out of MI, but by the plates I assumed it belongs to a private party. Busnut/ converter possibly. And she's a long ways from home. There's been discussions on the boards floating around about the legalities of driving 60' coaches across state lines. Would make an interesting conversion, at the very least.

I've never seen one in the flesh... and she was looong. Anybody know anything about this bus??

Brian Brown
Longmont, CO
4108-216

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 11:10:51 PM »

IWRT artic buses, 've wondered if you could tag one half as a motor home and the other part as a trailer and get away with it.  The combined length of your "tow" rig and "trailer" is under the 65 foot combined vehicle length that seems to be the typical limit...

OK, back to the decaf for me.

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
darrenayres

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 04:59:06 AM »

There is a charter operator here in Tampa with an H5-60. He tells me that Florida considers the back half a 5th wheel and requires an "A" license, at least in the commercial bus world.

Darren
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 07:38:17 AM »

There's a guy running one or two of those here in Calif for tours.  Saw it at Stardust Tours Maintenence last year when I was having some work done on the bus. While novel, they have some quirks.  When turning the tail end tends to turn a bit sharper than the front so if you are turning right, can clip the car to the left.  They use all single tires-same size all around.  They have two steering axles that are hard to keep aligned. And the biggest kicker is with the engine (8V-92TA and HT754CR) mid mounted in the front section, if you have to get the engine out, you actually have to cut some supports then reweld them up when the engine is back in.  Sounds like Prevost didn't think this one out to clearly.  While unique, quite possibly the most expensive bus to try to keep running.  Plus, just a pain for the length.  Look at how many RV parks don't go over 40ft, let alone 60ft!  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 09:10:42 AM »

Plus, just a pain for the length.  Look at how many RV parks don't go over 40ft, let alone 60ft! 
Yeah, length restrictions at state and nat'l. parks is the reason we're staying with the 35' length for the time being.

I can't imagine there's too many places to camp with a 60'er. Wow!
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 09:39:48 AM »

Craig:

Of course, if the back half was titled as a trailer, it would be illegal in most states for anyone to ride back there while you were on the highway!   Grin

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 11:16:09 AM »

Back in the early 90's a bus coversion company in Phoenix,AZ had a Prevost 60' artic bus that they were converting to a upscale motor home.
I only saw it that one time and I often wonder if it was ever completed.
jlv

ceieio
MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740

1973 MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 11:57:41 AM »

Craig:

Of course, if the back half was titled as a trailer, it would be illegal in most states for anyone to ride back there while you were on the highway!   Grin

It would make a heck of a toy garage and sun porch though, wouldn't it?

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 12:15:00 PM »

I am thinking the ultimate toy would be a 55-60' artic coach that had the ability to be disconnected as needed. On the road, you would have full weathertight walk-through functionality. This would primarily be for longer interstate runs.

At camprgrounds, you would reserve two adjacent pull through sites. You pull through the first and drop the rear piece, then circle around and pull into the second.  The rear piece would be primarily a bunk house, clothing storage, washer/dryer, and reserve tanks.  Possibly Harley or 4 wheeler storage

The front piece could be used as a completely stand alone unit for day trips. Don't know how the heck it would be titled. Well hey, we can dream, right?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Lightfoot

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 01:11:07 AM »

I am thinking the ultimate toy would be a 55-60' artic coach that had the ability to be disconnected as needed. On the road, you would have full weathertight walk-through functionality. This would primarily be for longer interstate runs.

At camprgrounds, you would reserve two adjacent pull through sites. You pull through the first and drop the rear piece, then circle around and pull into the second.  The rear piece would be primarily a bunk house, clothing storage, washer/dryer, and reserve tanks.  Possibly Harley or 4 wheeler storage

The front piece could be used as a completely stand alone unit for day trips. Don't know how the heck it would be titled. Well hey, we can dream, right?

Hate to spoil your dream, but an Artic hinge is a massive, hugely expensive piece of kit. As I recall from 20 years ago, my training officer said something about a $50,000 replacement cost if I ever jack-knifed one in reverse.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: