Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 12:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I really need four group 31 batteries with no road A/C or heat?  (Read 3253 times)
belfert

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2006, 05:42:20 AM »

Your batteries had to have a short of some sort to drain in two weeks with your disconnect off!

The batteries were not completely drained after the two , but the bus barely started.  The first time I turned the key, it didn't crank enough to start.  I tried it again and it cranked just enough to start.  I suspect the batteries were not holding a charge.

I will check for a phantom load before I put in new batteries.  I'm also going to take at least one battery for a load test.

Brian Elfert
Dallas

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2006, 06:03:46 AM »

Brian,

You may want to check for a bad ground. Not turning when you first tried could have caused an arc to ground which let the engine turn over the next time.

Just a thought.
Dallas

Your batteries had to have a short of some sort to drain in two weeks with your disconnect off!

The batteries were not completely drained after the two , but the bus barely started.  The first time I turned the key, it didn't crank enough to start.  I tried it again and it cranked just enough to start.  I suspect the batteries were not holding a charge.

I will check for a phantom load before I put in new batteries.  I'm also going to take at least one battery for a load test.

Brian Elfert
Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2006, 08:52:25 AM »

Happycamper.

No, NAPA isn't open at 7PM, but the decision to buy a battery isn't made within 5 mins after finding out yours is dead. Also there are certain indications that start long before one goes bad.

I usually grab the battery charger to re-charge and check to see if it was a remote incident or the battery actually went south.

Ed

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2006, 09:04:51 AM »

Brian,

You can pick up a load tester at HF for 19.00 on sale.

You may find you have one battery taking down the others.

And its a must have in the bus tool box for when you are on the road.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90636

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2006, 11:47:47 AM »

Ed,

Not to start a debate, but TWICE I have had to buy a battery to get me out of a jamb. Even if the battery hasn't gone south being able to find a open store is helpful.

One time was, I stopped at a rest area for a break in a pickup. Went to leave and no juice. Oh great now what. Battery was discharged, who knows why (old battery). Have to get home this evening as I have to work the next day. Just so happens a Wal-mart is just up the road. A great fellow gave me a ride and I bought a battery and made it home.

I am sure that the plates or something shorted together, because when we tried to hook up the jumper cables the sparks flew. So yea it only took about 5 minutes to decide I needed a battery. Also had to put a alternator on it a couple weeks later.

Now if I had broke at home or work and could have checked with a Hydrometer and a Load tester, Then try a recharge that would be a perfect situation, wouldn't it?, But a rest area isn't the best place to work on or diagnose vehicle problems.

I work on heavy equipment for a living and I have seen new batteries give up for no reason, and I have seen old ones last longer than they should. There is no super way to tell when they will die. The trick with being on the road is to have a "what if" plan.  Wink

Dale
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2006, 03:25:55 PM »

A friend of mine owns a starter, alternator and generator rebuilding business.  He states the worst thing on a starter is low batteries.  It will eat starters. Batteries are cheaper than starters and eaiser to replace. He says to have the highest amp batteries which will fit.  On my MCI 7 with a 8V92 I use two 8D batteries for the bus and then as an over kill I use 8, yes 8 6 volt golf cart batteries to run the bus with a 3500 inverter.  I got tired of running out of power in 36 hours, now can go over 96 hours with out starting the gen or bus, unless that is I need the air.  As is said often, do it your way.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2006, 07:14:39 PM »

Not to disagree with anyone, we can have 10 people do it 10 different ways and none of them are wrong!

But for me it is a 5 minute decision, if I have any trouble with a battery at all, I take it to wally world and have it replaced.Some times it takes a little pressure to get them to replace it under warrenty. A simple battery is far to complex. I do not want the headaches or hassel of battery diagnostics. Just let me have a new one and get on with my life.
                                                                                                                  Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: