Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 03:17:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wire Question ?  (Read 1124 times)
steve5B

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2009, 02:20:16 PM »

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question, I am in the process of building the inside of my bus and I cut the wire

(about the size of a dime) that supplied the power to the overhead lights for every seat and possibly the overhead speakers too.

Inside of that main wire, there are several wires different colors.  Could those be used for anything else, and are thy 12V ?

Steve 5B......

WWW.WINNERSCHOICECORPORATION.COM

"It's all in the name the name says it all"
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:51:43 PM »

What kind of bus ??

could be 12 or 24 volt and maybe yes used for other things.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 04:38:42 PM »

Melbo,

It's a 1976 MCI-5B.

Steve 5B...

Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:16:07 PM »

I'm a little confused.  Are you saying that you cut into an enclosed group of wiring that was the width of a dime that contained several color coded wires?  Or is that the wires are the thickness of a dime?  If they are not in use and appear to be in good condition, I would say you can use them for whatever you want providing they are an adequate gauge for the task.  Finding good pre-run wiring is a joyful event.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
PCC

Serving Those Who Have Served

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 05:18:54 PM »

Yes, many things are operated, in a coach, by multiple wires in a single sheath.

If you have slack, use it to splice each wire, I always solder mine so they do not come apart, then insulate each one with heat shrink, and heat shrink the entire cable over the splices.

That is how I would do the repair.

Keith
PCC

For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.
steve5B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:11:26 PM »

Hi Lin,

The wire I mentioned (cluster) has several wires , I guess you could say they are in a sheath.  I thought when I cut it in half

is was one that powered the Clarence lights. I was wrong, in this cluster only two of them had power to the lights above the

seats the ones below what was the over head storage rack. 

Steve 5B....

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 06:13:22 PM »

Steve,

Here is how I often start troubleshooting. Start the bus up, turn on all lights, and get out see what works/what doesn't. If the bus doesn't fire up, you really cut a bad wire Shocked Shocked Shocked. I doubt it though.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »

I cut mine, removed them, except for in the ceiling above the driver. At this point the wires are there but are cut at both ends, completely non funtional, simply because I haven't pulled the ceiling apart at this point yet.    My bus was stripped right down throughout the rest of the bus, so I ran new wire. However there is no reason why you would not be able to use this wire, I simply just wanted to know where every wire ran, and ran my wires so I can have some sort of access to them without having to pull the headliner out of the bus to trouble shoot if there was a problem. Have fun

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: