Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 05:20:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: update on dina  (Read 3795 times)
ruthi

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2009, 07:17:25 AM »

The conversion is going good. The bus has had all the body work done on it, and is primed. The front bumper is  almost ready to reinstall. The backup gen is installed under the front. The inside has been fully insulated, and the electricity has been run. The walls have plywood on them. The back bedroom has the bed frames built. The basement air is installed and the ductwork is all done.  Grin Now, it is getting exciting. Am I the only woman out there to get excited about converting a bus Huh lol. No, I know that cant be true. Roll Eyes Now, the downer, Undecided We got a call to go do a store in Florida City Fl. Yep, waaay down there. So, tomorrow hubby will be leaving to go do it. He will be there from Sunday eve thru Wednesday. Hopefully be back home by Friday. Anyone down there? If so stop and say Hi. Will be working in the smart style hair salon inside the walmart. More to come....................... Ruthi

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:29:13 PM »

It sounds like you are making really good progress, Ruthi. Whenever we are doing a rebuild, we hit a point where we start anticipating finishing the job. Not much else matters then, until it is finished.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:44:54 PM »

Are you guys excited or what!

Nice report!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 12:59:29 AM »

Great news, glad to see things working in a positive direction! Grin

Quote from: ruthi
Am I the only woman out there to get excited about converting a bus Huh lol. No, I know that cant be true. Roll Eyes More to come....................... Ruthi

Oh no yer not the only one although there are very few of you!
But I know CAT is one, Pauls wife Becky is another, Christy Hicks also, and then here is a thread about 2 women and a bus!
http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=12694.0
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 06:46:35 AM »

Thanks Paul, Tom and Bryce. I was beginning to wonder, due to lack of response, that maybe we were on everyones Ignor list, lol, or maybe no one was interested in an old dina bus. Roll Eyes Grin Anyhow, yes we are more than excited. There just arent enough hours in a day,lol. I hope we can at least get it usable soon, so we can work out of it, and then, when we have some time, we can work on it while on the road. It is probably going to start out being used in the primed state, and have to wait for a paint job. We would love to get that done, but, time and money are going to probably hinder that for a while. It is all smooth and ready for paint at least.  Does anyone know anyone in this area that does buses for a decent price? What is a decent price for maybe a two color paint scheme? Thanks for looking, and all the help you give. Ruthi

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:57 AM »

Ruthi, If you leave her in primer, you'll have to scuff it all over before you shoot the final color. Besides primer will hold dirt and will be hard to clean. I'd shoot it with something right after primer, then scuff it before you shoot the final. Are you going to use basecoat/clearcoat (bc/cc) on the final?

I think it's great to see a lady that participates as much as you do. Now if I could get my wife to do that you would have some competition! Grin

I always read your threads, always something to learn even if it's not an Eagle!

Paul

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »

Grin Thanks Paul. Hmm, I didnt realize that. You said shoot it with something after the primer, such as Huh No, no plans to use clear coat, or such. I would love to get it painted now, but I have heard prices of 15,000, up? We are already spending our childrens inheritance, Grin on the  build of it. We briefly considered sitting it out in the open and spraying her down, as I have heard of others doing. The guy who is doing our body work has exper. painting, but no enclosed facility to do it in.

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 10:05:52 AM »

You should  be able to paint outside, just try to pick a less windy day. So it seems you are going to use a single stage coat product, right? You should be able to do it for much less, say materials 1K, then labor on top of that.

It all depends on how shiny you want it, how long you want it to last. Everyone wants Cadillac quality on a Gremlin, I'm not saying yours is a Gremlin, just trying to show the difference, OK.

Paul

robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »

Paint you primary color all over...then when you get the money or and time improve..I agree the primer has a tendency to asord road dirt and oil into its pours. This requires major work later to get paint to stick good. If you paint outside and get dust etc in it it will sand out later in most cases...most paints dry very quickly now so are not as prone to collecting dust bugs etc...I paint my own usually cost about 500 dollars for material .Wish I could afford the 10000plus paint job but it ain't happening...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 11:36:41 AM »

Hey Bob, do you hire out? I have a feeling Ruthi there are a lot of lurkers here that enjoy reading your posts. My wife is currently sewing material and reupholstering the two stools for the counter overhang between the kitchen and lounge so they match the front window coverings and steering wheel cover she made a short while back. She is into our bus, just doesn't enjoy using a computer anymore than necessary. She does like it however when I read the posts to her-she is fond of the people on this board just like I am even if we never mention it. I'm going back to my hole now. Keep up the great posts Ruthi, Will and Wife

junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »

A little tip for those painting outdoors.  Drive a ground rod into the ground and attach it to the bus body!  The process of spraying creates a static charge on the bus which can and will atttract dust.  The dryer the outside air the more important this becomes.  Also wetting the groung around the bus will help hold the dust down.  If everyone already does this just ignore Me.  I painted airplanes and used every shade tree trick I could to hold down the unwanted stuff.  Regards,John
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 03:04:03 PM »

Ruth[,
Did you say you guys had  met Fred Hobie? I have no idea if he still does, or what he charges but I thought he used to do some painting. FWIW
Grin  BK  Grin[

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:54:37 PM »

Thanks for the update, Ruthi. I would have commented sooner, but I am really busy (I know, nothing new to you Shocked Grin).

Sounds like you are making great progress, and I am sure that the end product will be enjoyed.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »

Thanks for the tips. We are new to this process, so all advice is welcome. Hmm, will remember the static thing too. Yep, we did meet Fred a couple of months back. He said he doesnt do much work anymore, Just piddle stuff since his fall, and heart attack. We just may attempt this painting thing ourselves. Will, that is neat that your wife can do that kind of stuff. Years ago, when my hubby worked on RVs, my hubby talked me into making pleated curtains for a really expensive RV, along with throw pillows, the works. It all turned out really nice, and the customers were well pleased, but let me tell you, that will never happen again, not even for myself. I drove myself crazy making them. It was a long tedious process. Of course, back then, money was hard to come by, and the old sewing machine was a pain, kept breaking needles, etc. Not to say money is easy to come by now, Grin. I am too much of a perfectionist when it comes to that kind of stuff, so, it can and does get to me. Now, just plain old working on the bus, I am there. Love it. Anyhow, any more tips for the self painting? Where did yall buy your paint? How warm does it need to be to paint? You say it dries pretty fast, how fast is fast? Tired of all the questions yet Huh Grin

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »

Paul, I do want it shine,,,,,  Cool Cool So will a single stage coat do the trick?  Huh

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »

Ruthi, Yes a single stage will shine, but not as deep as bc/cc with clear. You need the weather and temp to be at least 65+ with low humidity. Lots of suppliers out there, check your local auto paint store. They might sell products such as Dupont or PPG. A lot of OTR trucks are painted with single stage, shoot the primer, then 2-3 coats of paint. Whatever you do and whatever brand you use get to be real good friends with the supplier and use all the recommended supplies for like products. The guy who did your body work will know what I'm talking about.

Paul

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Paul, we are leary of using clear coat, because of the possibility of it peeling, and then the paint dont look so good.But, just one shot to get it right, so we want to do it right.  As far as the guy who did our body work, I dont think he is THAT familiar with the products out there. When he was young, he messed around a little with body work and paint, but, not a lot. But, with that being said, he did a very professional job of fabricating what we wanted changed on the bus, and getting all the fiberglass work done. We are impressed. He did it way beyond our hopes, and the money involved was good too. So, that is why I am finding out all that I can so that the painting is done the best it can be.

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 07:51:40 PM »

Ruthi, Go visit and make friends with an auto body shop that you can trust. You never know, you might find someone who is looking for a side job. With this economy it shouldn't be hard to do.

PS, If the clear coat is applied properly it should last for rmany years. There have been many improvements in the paint industry over the last few years. A quality shop that applies it wouldn't if they knew it would be a problem.

Paul
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:53:37 PM by Dreamscape » Logged

wayne
1990 Setra 215 HDH

www.mybusgarage.com

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »

Is there anywhere I can go to see some pics of this project?

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »

Paul, normally that would be a great idea, but........ There is only one shop in this little town, and they are very expensive, and not real helpful. They do body work too, and we had no luck finding someone to work on that project. Maybe it is just this area, dont know, but finding someone who wants to work, is hard to do. It is really quite bum fuzzleing, given the economy. We cant even find help to work on the road. Have had a couple of guys, but, didnt put forth any effort at all. We usually research projects, and then go for it ourselves, lol. I have a lot of pictures that we have taken all along the way since the beginning. Size limitations prevent me from putting them on the boards. I guess some put pics in other places, but I dont know how to do that. Can anyone tell me, and then how to put a link to it on here?

TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 09:03:38 PM »

Ruthi,

I'm hoping someone will pop up and give more information, but I seem to recall a prison body/paint shop in the lower half of Florida that has a very good reputation when it comes to refinishing buses.

HTH

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »

Ruthi, Here is a link to a video I made on how to post pictures using Photobucket here on the board. You can also setup an account an then include the link to your PB page Look at my signature line, that's how I do it. Just copy and paste the link anywhere you want, it's free BTW.

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=13997.0

Jay has a good idea, but in most cases you are at the mercy of the institution on when the work gets done.

Take a trip to Mexico, I've heard of a guy who does pretty good work there. Do a search as I forget his name and contact information.

You might be better off going to a larger town, where do you live?

If you come by Abilene TX I know of a guy who owns a body shop that does super work, he's a one man show. He's going to shoot ours this coming spring or summer. I'm going to do the prep and I'll push him around on a scaffold.

Paul

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2009, 04:51:59 AM »

Ruthi,  take your bus to any large truck dealer most have paint booths and will 2 color the bus with a good enamel  paint for around 4 grand.  
Where the big bucks for painting come from is the stripping, fading, blending, and the graphics and with paint that cost 500 to 1000 bucks a gallon.
I would venture to say Mike Wilson in Oregon the best there is would do a 2 color basic enamel job for 4 grand for a fill in between jobs.
Check tour bus operators in your area they don't spend big bucks on their paint.
I look forward to you getting the bus on road and tell us how it handles with all the modifications that have been done and how the suspension handles it

good luck  

« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 05:05:18 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »

Ruthi,
I'm hoping someone will pop up and give more information, but I seem to recall a prison body/paint shop in the lower half of Florida that has a very good reputation when it comes to refinishing buses.
HTH
Jay
87 SaftLiner

I am pretty usre Pete "Daytona RTS" Pappas had his coach painted several years ago at a correctional facility in FL. Maybe he will chime in.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2009, 09:21:28 AM »

Paul, thanks for the info, I will try and look at that tonight and see if i can figure it out. I would love to have all my pictures in one place. Right now, I have a bunch of the beginning stages of the bus on my computer, some on sd cards and some still on the camera. It would be nice to organize them in order. Another question.... As far as painting the bus ourselves, can you use a 2 and half gallon pressurized paint bucket with the paint gun to spray, or do you have to use the small one that comes with it? Another dumb question, but, hey, I am learning, Is base coat/clear coat the same thing? I know clear coat is what goes on the final product, just kinda confused about it. You said around 1000 for single stage, how much more are we talking about to add that?

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2009, 09:23:10 AM »

We checked with one tour coach place and they said it cost them 5000 to have their coaches painted one color.

JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »

Ruthi,
HTH
Jay
87 SaftLiner

I am pretty sure Pete "Daytona RTS" Pappas had his coach painted several years ago at a correctional facility in FL. Maybe he will chime in.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2009, 01:13:29 PM »

Paul, thanks for the info, I will try and look at that tonight and see if i can figure it out. I would love to have all my pictures in one place. Right now, I have a bunch of the beginning stages of the bus on my computer, some on sd cards and some still on the camera. It would be nice to organize them in order. Another question.... As far as painting the bus ourselves, can you use a 2 and half gallon pressurized paint bucket with the paint gun to spray, or do you have to use the small one that comes with it? Another dumb question, but, hey, I am learning, Is base coat/clear coat the same thing? I know clear coat is what goes on the final product, just kinda confused about it. You said around 1000 for single stage, how much more are we talking about to add that?

Ruthi, BC/CC is this. Base coat is the main color or combination of colors, it looks flat when dry. The clear goes on to give it shine and depth. The single stage is an all in one, although not much depth in appearance like the clear would be.

You can use the pressure pot, but a good one is spendy. Most just use a regular gun, just have to be fast on the refill. I'm speaking of DIY's. The big shops will have the correct equipment.

I bought two guns at Harbor Freight, one for primer, one for paint, 25 bucks each and worked great. I started out with a Devilbiss, didn't work that great. Had a HR pressure pot and gave up on that too.

The main thing is make sure you use the right tips for the material.

The 1K for material was everything, cleaner, sandpaper, paint and primer. It all depends on the brand and color choice, as the reds will be quite a bit higher.

Call a paint shop, tell them you have a bus to paint and ask them how many gallons of paint of either choice it would take to shoot it. If this is your first time, I'd recommend hiring it out. A bus is big and if you don't know what you're doing, you will have to redo it. Don't ask OK! Grin

Paul

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »

Thanks for the info. We do have a good pressure pot, as well as a gun. Sounds like you know a lot about it.  BTW, did you know the folks at B & R bus, just out of Abilene? Winters,Tx? We bought our gmc from one of the owners there. They closed up shop several yrs ago. We got our Dina from the same guy. Just wondering.

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »

Who did your paint? It looks good.

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »

Thanks for the info. We do have a good pressure pot, as well as a gun. Sounds like you know a lot about it.  BTW, did you know the folks at B & R bus, just out of Abilene? Winters,Tx? We bought our gmc from one of the owners there. They closed up shop several yrs ago. We got our Dina from the same guy. Just wondering.

I think I met the owner once a few years back, he had a couple of Eagles too. Lannie or Lonnie I think. The brothers also owned a GMC dealership if it's the same folk.

I did the paint on ours and let me tell you, it's a big project to practice on. I did find out one thing, I'm no auto painter. I painted it in sections and by the time I got around to the last section it turned out OK. The rear is not finished, after what I went through I decided to stop before I thought about shooting myself! Grin If I had not wanted to do metallic it wouldn't have been so bad, but oh no, I said to myself it can't be that hard.............Wrong! It was a great learning experience, I learned to not do it again.

Therefore the friend of mine who is a pro is going to shoot it, that way I can blame it all on him. Wink

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:18 PM »

Yep, Lannie, and Ronnie were partners. Lannie owns the jewelry store in town, Ronnie lives in Dallas. Lannies brother owns the dealership. Keith was their mechanic, now he drives a truck.  He was good. He put a motor in the gmc. His dad helped him. He passed away a few yrs later. Very nice man.
 I would like metalic, but I am not going there, Grin Really would like to paint it local though. It is already stripped down and ready to go. I mean really stripped. Windows are out, headlight, handles, etc. I dont know about getting good weather now, this time of year to do it outside. Does your friend travel Roll Eyes. I guess we will figure something out. We really wanted to get it on the road the first part of the year.

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2009, 09:09:23 PM »

Ruthi,

Find someone with a very large paint booth, it will be worth the effort and cost. Maybe you can find a place that could use a few extra bucks to let you use their booth. Good Luck. Now is the right time to paint it though, it's all stripped and ready for it's new look!

Lannie is the guy I talked to, haven't been down there to see if he still has his Eagle or not. I need to go for a drive and see if he's still around.

Paul

ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 09:14:13 PM »

Yep, he still has his bus, dont know if he ever finished it. It was a slow go. Probably find him at his jewelry store. If you see him, tell him the Masters said Hi. Yes, we have been cking around to see if anyone has an inside area big enough to paint, no luck so far.

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 06:06:24 AM »

Ruthi check with the local Public Schools Vocational Centers, Correctional centers, Or there should be some big truck body shops up in Atlanta with as many trucking companies up there.
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: