Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 08:20:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: oil change questions  (Read 1106 times)
white-eagle

Ignore
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:54:15 PM »

2 quick ones please.

how many quarts to completely dry fill in an 8v92 with the filter change?  24, 26, 30?

what happens if you put about a quart or a gallon too much?  ( besides oil leaks until it gets back down to normal)

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:17:43 PM »

Tom, it should 30 qts with the filter put 6 gals in run it and let set for 30 minutes then fill do it this way because not all have the same oil pan 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:18:03 PM »

Tom -

The vast majority of V-block two strokes in bus applications take approximately 7 gallons of oil when you change it out, including the filter.

Suggest you fill the new filter with oil before you install, as has been recommended here several times over the years.

So, fill the filter with oil, and add six gallons.  Fire it up and let it run for awhile (best on fast idle), then shut it down.

Wait til morning, then top off as necessary - maybe a gallon, maybe two quarts, whatever it takes, and you'll be good to go.

Oh, and make sure your dipstick is accurate - the "full" mark should be 1" below the oil pan/engine block interface.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 06:25:41 PM »

thanks for the usual words of wisdom.

i got lazy and had it done while doing a lube.  i could have sworn williams did 26 quarts, but this time the garage did 30 and i thought maybe they mixed the capacities with a 60 or something.  i'm also about 1/3 inch above the full on the dipstick, but it looks like it is a handmade version so i really didn't know how accurate.  i usually only fill to 1/2" below the full, and don't leave so much on the pavement.  this one is leaking a bit more around the front of the engine than before, onto the pavement.

and of course i'm parked on clean concrete in a friend's driveway.  guess a little degreaser adn scrub will help that, along with elbow grease.

in any case,  what about the 2nd question.  what if i had over filled it?

Tom

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »

Tom -

You sure Williams put straight 40wt in your 92?

As for your second question, as little over as it is, probably no harm done.  If it was one or two gallons over, then you could end up with the crankshaft creating froth, and that's not good, foamy oil doesn't lube very well.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 06:42:35 PM »

Tom if that is the original Eagle 15 engine and oil pan 30qt is what it takes. 

good luck

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 07:05:25 PM »

thanks again guys.

rj, the guy at williams was as old as i am, and retired 3 mo later, after 30 yrs.
i'm sure he used the right stuff.  that's all i've put in also.  40wt rotella

this time, they filled it, ran it a bit, checked it, then topped it off.  i got charged for 30qts, so i'm sure that's what he put in.

obviously, the dip stick is just a a little off in reporting full before it really is, but probably just a quart.  i think i'll continue to run it just a little below the full mark.  Less leakage.

i could not easily find the capacities in the manual, honest.  i did look.

Tom

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 07:14:56 PM »

Tom,the capacities are in the supplemental manuals for different engines,transmissions and etc 

good luck

PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 07:16:20 PM »

FWIW-I put 7 gals in the pan and filter and leave 1 gal in the resevoir. Works out real well with buying 2 gal containers. The level is always 1/4" above the dip stick when all has ran back to the pan after checking for leaks. I guess that means it takes 28qts dry. 1983 8V92TA Silver. My 2 cenavos, Will

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: