Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 29, 2014, 07:18:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 05 Eagle battery drain  (Read 859 times)
tmathis
Born to Boogie

Ignore
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:23:19 AM »

First post here although I have read and learned from this board for a long time. I have an electrical drain on my engine batteries that will discharge them over the course of about a week. Both batteries were replaced in the last year. I disconnected the positive cables and put a meter between the positive terminal and the cable which showed voltage. As opposed to trying to track this down through all of the wiring on the bus I figured I would just install a battery disconnect. I am trying to figure if a couple of the automotive type disconnects that go on the positive terminals would handle the load or if I should go with a single marine type disconnect in the engine bay. I am not sure how many amp capacity I am dealing with here with the starter load. The engine is a DD 8v71. Any input or your thoughts are appreciated.

Tony Mathis
1971 Eagle
8v71
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 10:31:46 AM »

You probably have a ghost drain from something. I did too, installed a master batt disconnect, good to go now.

Get a heavy duty switch, marine is plenty ample for our use.

Paul

BTW, Welcome to another Eagle Owner!

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »

Tmathis, a Eagle will draw on the batteries without a disconnect the alternator is the draw.  
Don't buy the cheapo disconnect switches if you have the 2 origanal 8 D batteries install a disconnect on each that is way it came from the factory.
At the lower corner on the passangers side in the engine compartment there should be a bracket were they were mounted
 Cat dealers have the best disconnect keyed or with a handle for about 40 bucks or less each, it will melt the cheapo type.
 And you are dealing with 900 to 1200 amps for starting plus the lights that come on with the key switch  

good luck
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:02:58 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
tmathis
Born to Boogie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 09:17:23 AM »

I figured this was a "known issue" Thanks for the advice!

Tony Mathis
1971 Eagle
8v71
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 09:35:15 AM »

Might want to try MCI. They have a real heavy duty disconnect.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
blue_goose

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 03:49:54 PM »

If you have a drain from the alternator you need to put a new diode in and that will stop the drain.
Jack

Data used in this document is made from 100% recycled electrons and magnetic particles. No electrons were harmed in the creation of this document.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: