Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 02:24:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another BUS Crash 1 Dead  (Read 3721 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 03:55:36 PM »

Down here in lower Michigan we don't get near the snow that Cody is use to. I remember the snow we got when we lived in Marquette, MI and it was amazing. Down here the schools usually stay open with 6 inches of snow and most people can drive in it, except for the first couple of storms. I love driving in snow (my old boss said that it was because I'm 25% Polish) and since I have plowed snow off and on over the last 30+ years I have seen some real stupid moves by drivers. I will let them pass me since they are in a hurry to end up in a ditch. I have been in the ditch once when I was cut off by a tanker truck. Didn't want to take my chances against a trailer full of fuel.

John

What part of Southwest MI are you in?  We used to live in Niles and Buchanan.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
jok

Its a bus thing...Im glad were on board!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »

We live in Kalamazoo, technically Pavilion Township. I don't make it to Niles much but we did buy some equipment from a printing company there that closed about 15 years ago. Seems like Niles has a rich history.

John

1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »

We live in Kalamazoo, technically Pavilion Township. I don't make it to Niles much but we did buy some equipment from a printing company there that closed about 15 years ago. Seems like Niles has a rich history.

John

John you are so right my mother was raised there! I spent a lot of time there as a child visiting with my grandparents!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »

Wow, I'm surrounded by trolls, trolls to the right of me, trolls to the left of me lol
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »

It's always sad when a member of the bus transportation industry loses his/her life in an accident, and my thoughts go out to the 61-year-young driver's family.

Since the accident happened about 1:30 in the morning, and, based on the video, I wonder if this was a classic example of overdriving the headlights for somewhat poor weather conditions, or a possible HOS issue? 

Strictly speculation, thinking out loud based on industry experience - don't take it as fact until the details come in from the WHP MAIT Squad.

Arrow Stage Lines is a well-respected, 150+ coach fleet w/in the industry, with good pm and training programs, not one of the "fly-by-nite" boys that pop up almost daily to low-ball the majors.  Sad to see them involved, but it happens.

Bryce -

Hey BK - maybe you should give Bruce Neuharth a call - you might be able to make a good deal on a complete powertrain from that 217 Setra!  Heck, maybe he'd even make you a good deal on the entire salvage, then you'd have a relatively new parts bus, too!  Talk to Dad. . .

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 04:56:17 AM »

Wow, I'm surrounded by trolls, trolls to the right of me, trolls to the left of me lol

Yes, but do da Yoopers have your back?   LOL  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 05:32:18 AM »

Actually jack, I'm afraid to turn my back on them, I went to school with most of them and I always felt they would someday end up in prison or an insane institution, I never thought they would become somewhat famous just by being the goofs they are, incidentally, some of them are classically train musicians, scary huh lol.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 10:56:12 AM »

Clifford,
That seems to be a 1998 Setra S217. As pointed out by RJ, and the video I found of it.
Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:15:38 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 12:05:11 PM »

Your right BK it was a Setra one of the oldest in their fleet of 175 buses the Busskohl family will find out what happen Steve Busskohl told me this morning that coach had been traded in on a new S 417 sleeper they were waiting on delivery on the new one.
The coach had just been set to Denver from Tucson 2 weeks ago for ski runs

Life is short drink the good wine first
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »

Your right BK it was a Setra one of the oldest in their fleet of 175 buses the Busskohl family will find out what happen Steve Busskohl told me this morning that coach had been traded in on a new S 417 sleeper they were waiting on delivery on the new one.
The coach had just been set to Denver from Tucson 2 weeks ago for ski runs

Hey Clifford can ask if he wants to sell it cheap for parts?
If the price is right I could use it. Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2009, 01:02:59 PM »

Trolls!! I'd almost forgot about that!

Trolls and Upers (Yoopers??)  I never quite understood that, because my memory of the childhood tale was that it was goats that were above the bridge.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:06:03 PM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

jok

Its a bus thing...Im glad were on board!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2009, 01:33:21 PM »

Just be careful Cody. If you dillydally too long down here under the bridge you may never make it back to the rich fields around the summer farm in the hills.

John

1990 Prevost
1977 MC8-Sold
Southwest Michigan
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2009, 10:36:06 PM »

Rabbit Ears would be on the way to Steamboat -FWIW

Yes, You Are Right !!.  I Was Going To STEAMBOAT  ( MY BAD )as they say.

DA...!!!

JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2009, 03:13:37 AM »

Rabbit Ears would be on the way to Steamboat -FWIW

Yes, You Are Right !!.  I Was Going To STEAMBOAT  ( MY BAD )as they say.

DA...!!!

JOHN

Yeah, well...  If you've seen one Colorado ski town, you've seen them all!   Wink

That road from Dillon to Steamboat used to be one heck of a ride.  Most of the bad part has been rebuilt in the last decade. Still can be a bit dicey along
the reservoir and going down the west side of Bunny Ears.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2009, 12:25:13 PM »

John - Not your BAD - to paraphrase Gumpy - If you've done enough CO passes they are all  BAD passes  Grin

Gumpy have you ever followed the Colorado river from I70 (Dotsero) to McCoy on 41 - makes 40 look like a superslab - Dirt bike/four wheeler heaven up there off 131 though - I'd rather run Rabbit Ears East to West 'cause you have the inside lane at most of the right places but then again going up the West side is better than going down it - FWIW

BTW - I'll take Steamboat over Aspen any day!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: