Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 11:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neoplan Parts  (Read 4132 times)
Cary and Don

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »

Does anyone know of a source for some Neoplan body parts.  We are looking for the single front door.  Neopart is useless and over priced.  There must be someplace where these old buses are going to the big parking lot in the sky.

Don and Cary
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 06:46:37 PM »

Boy if you find one let me know! We fulltime in a AN440 and the split door drives me nuts!!!! I've been looking @ having one built by a welding friend if I have any luck i'll let you know!
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 07:30:23 PM »

Do some searching in Colorado, There used to be a Neoplan factory in Lamar, Co.

Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 08:21:02 PM »

Does anyone know of a source for some Neoplan body parts.  We are looking for the single front door.  Neopart is useless and over priced.  There must be someplace where these old buses are going to the big parking lot in the sky.

Don,

I am buying my parts now from an outfit in the UK.  I don't think that will help in this case, though -- the AN340 was strictly a US coach, built in Lamar.

Trying to find these scrapped out is going to be tough.  Generally they tend to go directly to recycling; things like doors don't get salvaged.

You might try the handful of transit agencies that ran the Neoplans.  SEPTA and SF Muni come to mind immediately; there are perhaps a dozen nationwide.

Do some searching in Colorado, There used to be a Neoplan factory in Lamar, Co.

Not "a ... factory."  The factory -- Neoplan only had one.  I'm pretty sure that everyone who owns a US-built Neoplan knows where the factory was before Neoplan USA imploded seven years ago.

Also, suggesting searching in Colorado because that's where the factory was is a bit like telling someone looking for DeLorean parts to look in Northern Ireland.  Where the factory was when it closed four years ago has little bearing on where parts might be found today.  Moreover, even when Neoplan USA was still in business in Lamar, the parts subsidiary was in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania, where it remains today.  That would be Neopart, that the OP considers "useless" (and they become more so every year).

Other than any stock that RTD might have lying around (if they even have any AN-x40 coaches left in service), I don't think you'll find any Neoplan parts in Colorado.

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 10:17:36 PM by Sean » Logged

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
Old Scool Bus

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »

http://biz.yahoo.com/ic/140/140256.html

Guess I should but out of this and let the all knowings handle this. Sorry for the bad info was just relaying info from my friend sitting here beside me who owns a Mega Super Liner and knows the bus biz very well in Colorado. Again my apologies.
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:09:48 PM »

The information on that link is out of date.  Neoplan USA no longer exists.  Stuff lives forever on the Internet, which is chock full of stale or out of date information.

Guess I should but out of this and let the all knowings handle this. Sorry for the bad info was just relaying info from my friend sitting here beside me who owns a Mega Super Liner and knows the bus biz very well in Colorado.

Look, this is getting a little tiring, you taking everything so personally.  And using pejorative terms to describe people who, heretofore, have been more than happy to help you is perhaps not the smartest strategy.

If you want to jump in on every thread with real, useful, and positive information, I am right behind you.  But posting well-meaning but unfruitful suggestions based on very limited knowledge of a particular subject will often cause some of us to step in with corrections.  Those corrections are not posted to lambaste you; they are posted to prevent other readers who come along later, or possibly the OP, from going off on a wild goose chase based on incorrect (or, in this case, outdated) information.

In this case, as it happens, I live, eat, breath, and sleep Neoplan.  I am on a first name basis with everyone at Neopart, and I had dealings with quite a number of people at Neoplan USA when it was in business.  I was personally impacted when the company started into financial trouble in 2002, and watched them tail spin into bankruptcy, receivership, and oblivion over the next three years, as the value of my coach followed lock-step into the downward spiral.

Now if you really have a friend who owns a "Mega Super Liner" (whatever that is -- Neoplan made a Megaliner, which is not street-legal in most of the US, and a Skyliner, and a "Super Skyliner" which looks a lot like a Megaliner but was modified for US export to a single customer -- the U.S. Government, for use at the Kennedy Space Center), and he or she has a concrete suggestion for the OP about where to find AN-340 doors, then please, post it.  I'm sure the OP would love to have the information, and I know for a fact that I would love to have another source for parts.

-Sean

Old Scool Bus

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »

I tell you what, I'm sick of the asinine egotistical crap that spews from so many here. I knew better but thought "What the hell" I was wrong.

Good luck in your door search and the rest of you good luck with your all knowing overbearing personalities in this awesome family

http://users.elite.net/runner/jennifers/goodbye.htm

P.S. You said there never was a factory that "OLD" link says there was
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 09:23:00 PM by Old Scool Bus » Logged
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 10:04:22 PM »

P.S. You said there never was a factory that "OLD" link says there was

Umm, that's not what I said.  What I said was that Lamar was the only factory (not counting the short-lived ex-Eagle plant in Brownsville that never got off the ground).  If you are going to criticize what I wrote, at least read and comprehend it first.

Again, you taking everything as a personal affront is quite tiresome.

This is also not the first time you've threatened to storm off in a huff over what you perceive to be a conspiracy of some sort on this forum.  I don't believe you.  But, of course, if you mean it, you won't even see this post.

I can assure you there is no conspiracy -- none of us is emailing around behind your back, plotting to oust you.  But your puerile response to some of the feedback you've been given has probably pushed a lot of people's buttons, and now you can add mine to the list.  That's not to say that some of the replies you've received haven't been less than civil or maybe even unwarranted, but that's the nature of a public BBS -- you need to have something of a thick skin if you're going to have a repartee here.

-Sean

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 03:34:32 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »

Finally, this thread is producing some useful information. Thanks Dallas LOL
(I had to pick myself up off the floor when I saw the second image load Grin)

trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »

That looks like a universal door.  Will it fit any bus?  Does it come with something other than a moon window?  Inquiring minds want to know? Grin Grin Grin

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »

I think the 'Eagle' version has a star in it (flame suit on) Grin

I had to come back and modify this before I hurt anyones feelings. I purposely didn't mention 'Setras' door symbol for fear of the BK wrath. Grin
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:09:43 AM by PP » Logged

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »

I think everyone's drinking too much eggnog! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
paulcjhastings

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 10:26:31 AM »

I think the 'Eagle' version has a star in it (flame suit on) Grin

I had to come back and modify this before I hurt anyones feelings. I purposely didn't mention 'Setras' door symbol for fear of the BK wrath. Grin

The door for Setra's is the same as the others except the window has a big "K" on a circle. It also costs five times as much and they never have one when you need one Grin  Wink

Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel
Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 10:53:15 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:23:07 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »

Quote from: paulcjhastings
The door for Setra's is the same as the others except the window has a big "K" on a circle. It also costs five times as much and they never have one when you need one Grin  Wink

That thar is funny I don't care who ya are! Grin

Quote from: Now Just Dallas
Yeah, but with that Big Circle K, you can get a slushy and a pack of cigarettes!

That's funny too! But I'm not sure I like that flavor slushy, and I don't smoke! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Iceni John

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2009, 06:50:20 PM »

Just an idea  -  did Neoplan actually make this elusive door themself, or was it bought in from an outside supplier?   If so, maybe another bus that uses a similar make of door may be your answer.   Is its size so unusual that nothing else will work?   Adapt, improvise, invent, mend what you have, make one from scratch  -  a door should not be a major design or fab challenge.   Visit your local transit and school bus yards with tape measure in hand.   Heck, with all the RV manufacturers going bust these days maybe you can find something half decent there.

When we choose to own a bus we accept the myriad of challenges that seemingly beset our every move as we convert it.   We do this simply because it is a challenge, because we know we can (eventually) make something better than anything else out there, and because we're stubborn/obstinate/individualistic/non-conformist/uncompromising (choose one or more).   For everyone else there are Winnebagos.

John, perversely enjoying this crazy obsession
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 10:35:53 PM by Iceni John » Logged

1990 Crown 2R-40N-552:  6V92TAC, DDEC II, HT740, Jake.      Hecho en Chino.     
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: