Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 07:28:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I really need four group 31 batteries with no road A/C or heat?  (Read 3475 times)
belfert

« on: July 26, 2006, 03:08:12 PM »

Do I really need four group 31 batteries if I don't have coach A/C or heat anymore?  I've heard I can maybe get by with fewer batteries without the blowers and such for the A/C and heat.  This is a Dina with a Series 60 engine if that matters.

I need new batteries as mine aren't holding a charge anymore.  I hate spending nearly $350 on batteries if I can help it.

I tried to call MCI Fleet Support, but MCI took the phone number off their web site.  Of course, MCI keeps giving me wrong answers on the Dina.  I asked them what the original tire size was on a Dina and they told me 12R24.5 I think.  It turns out the original were really a metric size.  (I went with 11R24.5.)

Brian Elfert
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 03:27:55 PM »

Brian,
    2 group 31 batteries connected in series will give you 24 volts and adequate amperage to start your bus with no problem AS LONG AS you do not need to crank for a long time (like in cold weather). We have ran 2 group 31 batteries in our MC-8 for 6 years. We have had to replace 1 of those batteries about 3 years ago. We live in Florida and have never had any problems starting our bus with 2 batteries (coldest start temperatures was in the 30s).  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 03:54:01 PM »

Brian, as Jack said, 2 group 31's do the trick. I bought mine at Sams club so that it would be easy to get warranty service on them across the country. I paid $74 IIRC for each battery in Atlanta.
 I use and reccomend a 120 volt engine coolant (block) heater on the bus. Just plug it up a few hours before you need to start when its cold, and its easier on the starting system as well as the engine-
hope this helps

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:55:45 PM »

Brian,

Your in the north, I would use 8D's for the extra crank power when you need it..

And being new in the bus, you may {like many of us] forget once in a while and leave something on to drain the batteries.  LOL

Sams Club also sells 8D's for $110.00 each

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
belfert

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 06:10:18 PM »

Your in the north, I would use 8D's for the extra crank power when you need it..

And being new in the bus, you may {like many of us] forget once in a while and leave something on to drain the batteries.  LOL

Leaving the disconnect on is how I killed the batteries in the first place.  But, the batteries were fully charged and left with the disconnect off for two weeks or so.  The bus BARELY started when I turned power back on this past weekend.  I left the bus to run for a while on high idle, but I forgot to turn off the disconnect again and the batteries were down to no voltage within 24 hours.

Dina actually used 8Ds on the first 30 coaches for the American market and then switched to four group 31 batteries instead.  I'm not sure if I can go back to 8Ds because ioif how the holddowns are in the compartment.

Brian Elfert
rayshound

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2006, 06:15:27 PM »

Just another thought, I have been digging around in the 18 wheeler wrecking yards for awhile now  and like the 2001 Volvo tractor I pulled the series 60 out of all it had was a couple of group 31's and I would think these tractors would travel up north also. Ray
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2006, 06:25:27 PM »

Good to see you are back on the bus!  Are 2 group 31's enough, Lots of people do it with no problem, that is the route I went. Are they sufficient in Snowshoe Maine when it is 18 below zero? Depends, Are you going to have a block heater and generator? If you run the noisemaker and block heater a reasonable amount of time, yes the 2 group 31's will do it.
 Are you going to have house batteries? are you going to have a selector switch? My selector switch has 4 positions, off, bus batteries, house batteries and both. Most of the time my switch is set on both so I am drawing off the 2 31's and the 4 house batteries to start the bus.
 The naysayers say not to do this you will run all your batteries down if the bus wont start! I'm really not that stupid! And even if I did I still have a genny to make things right!
 So a simple ansewer would be yes 2 group 31's will do it.
 Now in anticipation of the next question, WalMart battteries are best! followed by Sams and Sears.  They are best becuse no matter where you are in the US there is always one nearby, I buy my toad tires at WalMart for the same reason.
                                                                                 Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Kristinsgrandpa

1988 Neoplan AN 340, 6V-92 TA DDEC II, HT 748 ATEC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2006, 06:41:56 PM »

There are 5 times as many NAPA stores as Walmart's. I priced group 31's a week ago at NAPA for $78 ea.

Ed.

I'm very conservative, " I started life with nothing and still have most of it left".
Happycampersrus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 07:10:57 PM »

NAPA open at 7 p.m. When you need a Battery??  Undecided
belfert

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 08:08:25 PM »

There are 5 times as many NAPA stores as Walmart's. I priced group 31's a week ago at NAPA for $78 ea.

$78 at Napa is a good price.  They are $78 or $79 at Sam's Club.  Usually Napa is pretty high on most stuff in my experience.

Brian Elfert
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2006, 09:12:33 PM »

Just bought 4 group 31's from NAPA "maintenance free" for $69 'maintenance free' 'fleet prce' - retail $105 - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2006, 09:15:00 PM »

At Freightliner, when a sleeper is specified, 4 batteries are also chosen.  While two may start alright in warm weather, if you have to crank the engine when cold, or to regain prime if prime is lost, you may be a bit un happy.  Course if you have a tie in solenoid with the deep cycle batteries, these too can help out (I've started my 8V-71N on the deeps alone when the starting batts went dead).  My choice from both past experience is to get the best battery, and that is the Trojan size 31 with 1000cca each.  They are long lasting batteries and have good standby amperage (they are the choice for ambulances).  True they cost around $90 each, but are worth it.  Would suggest you stay with 4.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2006, 03:08:39 AM »

I would mame NAPA number 4 on my list, they are not open at night or on Sunday.
                                                                                                                  Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2006, 03:44:19 AM »

Leaving the disconnect on is how I killed the batteries in the first place. But, the batteries were fully charged and left with the disconnect off for two weeks or so. The bus BARELY started when I turned power back on this past weekend. I left the bus to run for a while on high idle, but I forgot to turn off the disconnect again and the batteries were down to no voltage within 24 hours.

Dina actually used 8Ds on the first 30 coaches for the American market and then switched to four group 31 batteries instead. I'm not sure if I can go back to 8Ds because ioif how the holddowns are in the compartment.

Brian Elfert

Brian,

Your batteries had to have a short of some sort to drain in two weeks with your disconnect off!

nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2006, 04:03:19 AM »

Brian,
   When you install the new batteries, connect a test light in series between the ground terminal and the ground cable and turn the disconnect switch off.  If you have any glow at all on the test light, you have a phantom load that will draw down the new batteries. This may prevent damaging your new batteries.  Hope this helps, Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: