Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 25, 2014, 02:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tire pressure monitoring  (Read 2615 times)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »

Ruthi, I just could not send a plain brown package Smiley.  I sent it in one of Pat's Stampin' Up! boxes.  That way hubby will think you have taken up a new hobby Grin

Jack should tell the whole story.  When he was installing his units, I was re-installing a couple of my units on my toad.  When I put a sensor on the toad (a Jeep with big tires and low pressure) I got a reading over 100 PSI!!!!

We quickly figured out that you can only do one vehicle at time Grin Grin Grin

Cody, I was posting at the same time you were.  Thanks for the kind words!

Jim
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 06:55:55 AM by rv_safetyman » Logged

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »

A couple of week-ends ago on a charter with the hockey team's bus, I lost a tag axle tire. It evidently went flat without me noticing, and came off the rim in one piece. Good thing it did not fly apart, because it would've done damage. Anyway, if the bus had a tire monitoring system, I could've known it was flat and stopped before it came off. I am lucky it did not take out the air bag.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
cody

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 07:13:13 AM »

I absolutely agree with the need and merit of a system like this, I've had the dubious pleasure of rebuilding a couple of coaches over the years that were the victum of tires coming apart, it's amazing how much damage can happen when a road gator breaks loose and makes several turns thru and into your fender well and in some cases into the living compartment of the bus.  All the damage could have been prevented by a monitoring system for the tire pressure, the damage to the bus while extensive is minor compared to what can happen in a traffic situation or in bad weather especially if you suddenly find yourself on the rim of a steering tire, when I can I'll certainly be adding one.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 07:22:27 AM »

First people with a bus that we met when we started fulltiming had a Toyota 4x4 that blew a front tire and did $6000 worth of damage to the truck.  Got me started  thinking about monitoring systems for our bus and toad. One less thing to worry about while going down the road. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2009, 03:44:49 PM »

When I looked at the cost of the system, I compared it to the cost of a blowout. Not just the tire, but all the collateral damage.  We blew a rear driver's side drive axle tire years ago on our 4106. tire cost about 250, but the new radiator and fan blade that were destroyed by the tire cost about 900. When we blew a tag on our MC-8, it took out the muffler and exhaust pipe.  When Nick lost a front tire on his Jeep, it took out a front fender and fender well.  In all these cases, the collateral damage exceeded the cost of the PressurePro system.
    Although the Pressure is not a guarantee you will not have a blowout, most blowouts are caused by under-inflation, and the PressurePro will prevent driving with under inflated tires

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2009, 10:19:23 PM »

Ruthi,

I have one of Jim's fire extinguishers.  Read up on those and you will have at least one, also.

Good luck with the tire monitors.

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 04:39:00 AM »

I have 4 different sized extinguishers from Jim in the bus, plus i have about 6 of the paint can type that i carry in my cars. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 04:54:41 AM »

We also carry one of Jims 2.5 gallon extinghisers plus another 2.5 gallon that is part of the Fire Suppression System he sells.  The Fire suppression system works automatically, controlled by the Fire detection Monitoring system, or can be activated manually. 
   Anyone that wants to see the systems (PressurePro, Fire Detection, Fire Suppression) please look me up at Bussin' 10 in Arcadia, FL in a couple weeks.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
ruthi

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 07:17:21 AM »

Would love to see it, but, we wont make the rally. Weve got to keep working on the Dina. Hope everyone has a good time, and cant wait to see all the pictures.

Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 07:41:20 AM »

Add me to a list of PressurePro enthusiasts.  I probably posted the story of how we blew a tire on our Jeep last year, and the PressurePro alerted us, keeping us from ruining our other front tire and the Jeep itself.  It would have been called "Shreddy the tire" or something. 

Anyway, we feel it paid for itself that one time, just as the Brake Buddy likely saved our bacon when we lost the toad in Tampa a couple of years back, in our "Keystone Kops" issue of our adventures on the road. Roll Eyes 

And BK wonders why he's had a hard time lately. . .well, it's those pesky Gremlins that abandoned us for "greener pastures",  Grin.  Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 09:17:01 AM »

Quote from: Christyhicks link
And BK wonders why he's had a hard time lately. . .well, it's those pesky Gremlins that abandoned us for "greener pastures",  Grin.  Christy Hicks

Ah, thanks Christy. I knew there was a reason for the season! I just had no idea you were behind it! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: