Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 11:53:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Prevost Astral buses???  (Read 3547 times)
lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »

My Courier 96  has skyviews. They are really nice as long as it is not too hot outside. Great view, bright, conversation piece, etc. They are hot on a hot day, which is most of the summer. I made covers for the inside that attach with Velcro. And outside covers as well. It is OK with the covers on, but they are on most of the time, except a few trips in the spring and fall. The rubbers on mine are old and dry, and I have to caulk them often to plug the leaks. Replacing the rubbers is on my list. It will be expensive: dozens of feet of rubber, and a big job. I would not get a bus with them again.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2009, 07:31:42 AM »

I definitely thought about that aspect of it, and did ask the owner if it had covers that slid in place, which she confirmed was the case.  This is one of the many reasons I would not even consider buying the unit if I can't inspect it in person. 

How many windows does your unit have?  Is it the same setup as the Astral?  i.e. original factory windows?  Thx for the tip, Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2009, 08:52:50 AM »

Christy, run from a Beaver Prevost conversion they had no idea what they were doing I had a 85 model.and Marathon had to try and do the repairs and there were many. 
You Prevost guys don't get mad it wasn't the bus

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »

Hmmmm, THAT doesn't sound good! Angry

I had another busnut say that he just LOVED his, ha ha.

Can you fill me in on the types of problems you had?  Thanks so much for your time!  Christy

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 09:09:54 AM »

Looks to me like it might be just another, earlier version of this:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/glsunovwobes.html?productid=glsunovwobes&channelid=FROOG

Grin Dallas that thar is funny! & I don't care who ya are! LOL! Grin

Christy YMMV, but if it were me, I'd ask how much they were paying ME to take it off their hands!

But on the other hand some of us really encourage you & Larry to buy it! (we haven't had many of your stories, for good laughs lately! Grin)

Grin  BK  Grin  FWIW
(just take it with a grain or 2 of salt and remember I been called an instigator, and I highly resemble it! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2009, 09:43:11 AM »

Christy, mine was wiring Beaver only converted 6 the rest were done by Royale a division of Monaco they had their share of problems also buy what you like but there is a reason the 2 Co's are no longer around.
As far as I know 4 of the Beavers had fires mine included.

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »

Now that is what I call a FLAW.  It will catch FIRE.  Crimeny, Gov!

Good luck Kristy,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2009, 11:49:44 AM »

Hahahah, yeah, I always did tell people that Dallas made Denace the Menace look like an angel Cheesy!

This one only has a few of the roof windows left, and they have covers that slide over them, so although I am deeply aware of the drawbacks the magnified heat can bring, I also am the "outdoorsey" type who hates dark living spaces.  

As for travels, well, if you think I'm ABOUT to invite those gremlins of yours back, you've got another thought coming!!! Cheesy

Seriously, it's not that we don't have a nice conversion already, in fact, we've replaced the couch, dinette chairs,  and the front seats recently which gave it a whole new look up front to match the tile work and such we'd already done.  TempBus has turned into quite a beauty, but she will retain her name.  I need a little more closet and bathroom space and we'd like to move up about 20 yrs or so in age, so she is not our final destination, although we've spent a bundle prettying her up for our current ride.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to start on the ceiling on Bigbus, and then it'll be on to framing and trimwork, with all the time and expense those components will require.  Larry moved it into the back yard next to my workshop doors just a week or two ago, it seems that pretty much all of my minor surgeries and recoveries are pretty much over,  and as soon as Christmas is over, serious work will commence.  We are pretty much at a point from which any movement forward will truly be a point of no return, so if he's thinking about buying a factory conversion, it's likely going to be now or never.  

This is the first factory job in our price range that actually appeals to my tastes, which is why I'm am doing the research and learning as much as possible.  I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of exhausting our savings that I've hoarded, especially at this point in our economy, and have warned him that this could delay his retirement by a few years, but on the other hand, he makes some pretty valid points and as indicated, I'm keeping an open mind.  Christy Hicks

Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2009, 11:53:28 AM »

As far as I know 4 of the Beavers had fires mine included

I did find tons of links showing that they did have a recall on the wiring, that the wire was not secured properly and rubbed up against something and could cause a fire.  I could not find out how many coaches actually had this happen and if the fires were all in the same location or not.  Do you have any more information on that part of the unit.  Also, yours was a 1985 model?  What year did it burn? Do you know where the fire started. . . I'm assuming it was the coach wiring and not the chassis wiring?  Any info. . . .  .

lostagain

MC5C

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2009, 12:11:39 PM »

Christy,

I know nothing about the kind of glass roof on that Prevost. It may be well done and leak proof. You'll have to look at it.

Maybe it has a good system of shades to keep cool.

Mine were done by MCI in the '60s when Brewsters got those buses from Greyhound, so the tourists could see the mountains around Banff. They are curved and are on the corner of the roof, above the regular windows. The original converter retained all of them to preserve the original look of the coach, which is good. They are all covered up from inside were the kitchen and bathroom are. Those ones are painted white on the outside. The ones we still use are in the bedroom and two on each side at the front. With the covers off in cool weather, the view to the sides and above is outstanding. When you stand in the bus, you can see out, but people outside can only see our heads, with the curtains drawn over the main windows. If we were full timing, we would need more cupboard space, but it is OK for what we use the bus for.

JC

JC
Invermere, BC
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »

That is kind of a nice feature, that you can keep the blinds closed for privacy and yet have light coming in, even moonlight, if you choose. . . I'm thinking . . . it's the end of a day spent rummaging through the Canton Flea market, . . .  we're wore completely out . . .we're lying there, stretched out on the couch, with my honey's head resting on my lap as we watch some late night movie. . . I'm relaxing, looking up at the stars. . . . talk about an extra level of enjoyment!  hahahaha. . . can you see it?Huh Smiley  the flames flicker a  bit, a wisp of smoke curls up from the small flame at the end of the. . . what. . .hey wait a minute. . . I didn't mention candles. . . what the?Huh?   Crap, LARRY, GET UP QUICK, GRAB THE CAT. . .WE'RE ON FIRE!!!! Shocked  Christy

Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »

Last time I was at an RB auction they had 4 Prevosts and one was an Astral. They were 1988, 89 buses and the Astral had less than half the miles of the others. As luck would have it, it was pouring rain that day and many of the roof glass seals were leaking on the Astral. It had an 8V71 and a 5spd and sold for $5500 CDN.

Cawston, British Columbia
Christyhicks

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »

Beaver only converted 6

Am I understanding you correctly that Beaver only converted six buses?  Hmmm, someone else had indicated that there were at least 34 done by them. . . I wonder if I'm understanding everyone correctly.  Can you confirm that Cliff?  Christy

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2009, 06:54:55 PM »

Quote from: Christyhicks
Beaver only converted 6

Am I understanding you correctly that Beaver only converted six buses?  Hmmm, someone else had indicated that there were at least 34 done by them. . . I wonder if I'm understanding everyone correctly.  Can you confirm that Cliff?  Christy

What he's saying Christy is that Beaver only did 6 of them and had the other 26 subbed-out! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

FWIW maybe the one your looking at was built on a Tues, Weds, Thurs. ! Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: