Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 25, 2014, 03:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: box heaters  (Read 3766 times)
cody

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2009, 07:06:22 AM »

I do have a big buddy that we bought a couple of years ago when we got stranded in a blizzard, they do throw a lot of heat and we keep ours for a spare, if your going to use it much you should get the long extention hose so you can use a 30 pound propane tank instead of the small ones. Thats not the one I mounted in the bus tho, mine is made by Pro-com and I got it from northern tool for 100 bucks, it's got the 2 pads for low (6000 BTU) and hi (10K BTU).  http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332737_200332737?cm_sp=RVC-_-Category%20Page-_-Products
cody

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 07:12:34 AM »

There are 2 kinds of ventless heaters and I've used them both, I prefer the ones with the pads instead of the open flame models, the open flame models are called "blue flame" models and I've found they consume a lot more propane than the ones with the pads, I bought 2 of the propane models for the bus but have only installed one of them so far, I also bought one in natural gas for jamies house and it's heating a 2200 sq ft house right now and doing it nicely.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 07:23:15 AM »

extention hose so you can use a 30 pound propane tank instead of the small ones. Thats not the one I mounted in the bus tho, mine is made by Pro-com and I got it from northern tool for 100 bucks, it's got the 2 pads for low (6000 BTU) and hi (10K BTU).  http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332737_200332737?cm_sp=RVC-_-Category%20Page-_-Products

For $100 I might get one so I can occasionally work on the bus over the winter.  Would I also need to get a hose and regulator?  I'm not sure this is going to bring the bus to 72 degrees, but even  50 degrees should be enough to do work. 

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
cody

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 07:33:19 AM »

If you don't have a propane system in your bus now, yes, you'll need the regulator and hose but if you have a propane system now all you'll need to do is extend the line to the living area and add a shut off and quick connect.  I think you'll be well pleased with the amount of heat it puts out, set up a fan tho to keep it from getting layered by the ceiling, the key is to keep the air moving somewhat.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 10:05:28 AM »

I see that NT has a bigger unit, any comments on this one.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200332739_200332739?cm_sp=Xsells-_-Manual-_-Product%20Page
As  we are not insulated yet cept for the factory stuff ,just want to make the Q Rally as warm and cozy for my better half on her first outing, or do you think the big Buddy will suffice?thanks Smiley

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Eric

Currently in Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »

For OTR heat and A/c I kept the roof monster and keeps the bus 90 when it's 20 degrees going down the road...as for park heat we have a infra red "fireplace" and a additional infra red heater in the rear of the rig and they keep it about 70 degrees all the way into the mid 20's or so we have been getting since our arrival in Nashville. only problem i have is the damn floor is ALWAYS FREEZING!
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »

Cold floors need rugs.

Go to the Rona/Zellers/Walmart/Sams/Costco/Lowes/Home Depot/box store of your choice.

Anything small, inexpensive, rubber backed, pattern you like.

Buy a bunch and spread them around.

Easy to carry outside to shake out the dirt. Easy to strategically position for those cold toes.

And you can put them away when not needed.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
cody

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2009, 06:50:45 PM »

Van, we've got 2 of the bigger heaters out at the skanee house, we never used over 2 pads at any given time with them so we quit buying the larger sizes.  Avoiding the cold floors is why we insulated the floor too, it's also important to keep the air moving, it can get layered with the warmest air up by the ceiling and the coldest down by the floor, a fan will keep it stirred up.  Just to give you an idea of what the heater I pointed out is able to do, right now I'm using one of the 10K heaters to heat jamies house and thats 2200 sq ft.  Right now it's 4 degree's outside and 71 in the house, 66 at the furthest reach of the house, her house is a large old home built in 1881, i'm superinsulating it and putting in new windows, her furnace is a high efficiency model from the mid 90's but the little heater is blowing it away with the fuel sipping.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2009, 08:17:54 PM »

That's great to hear cody, thanks! I really didn't want to go back to CW for another one any way, besides Northern tool has a better price than CW if I do get another thanks and you continue to keep them warm up in your neck of the frozen north Cheesy

Van

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: