Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:19:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DD3 Brake Chamber rebuild  (Read 9815 times)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2006, 03:09:41 PM »

I dont know where the $200 for parts comes from..the diaphrams are $64 for the pair on each side (from Mohawk). My locking components (rollers and brake shaft) were fine...so ..where is the other $140.00 ?   

Don't know, I was quoting Cliff...

"I would hate to spend $200.00 for a full rebuild kit and then find it was a major ordeal and as we all kow sometimes it easier to let the rebuilders do it.  And of course I get a 1 year warranty from them."

Personally, I'd buy rebuilt.  Never even priced the parts to rebuild one.  Steers and tags I would rebuild in a second.  Just too much to screw up in a DD3.  It's worth it o me to have someone else rebuild it.  I replaced my left side last year with a rebuilt.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2006, 03:28:19 PM »

I dont know where the $200 for parts comes from..the diaphrams are $64 for the pair on each side (from Mohawk). My locking components (rollers and brake shaft) were fine...so ..where is the other $140.00 ?   

Chuck,

That was what I was quoted for a COMPLETE rebuild kit or what Bendix replaces when they rebuild one.

All new springs, valves, clamps, rollers, push plate and shaft, exhaust ports, gaskets, dust boots, o-rings, seals, dust boots, and probably some other stuff.

Is it worth 140.00 dollars, I guess thats open to opinion. Undecided

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2006, 07:28:57 PM »

Sounds like a case for disassembling the chamber and see what you need?   I'd probably use the complete kit so that issue would not have to be revisited.   However, if I found the rest to be in good condition, may just go wiith the flexible parts.   Mechanix choice!   Post some pix of what you find in the can.  I'd like to see exactly what it looks like before mine cause problems.  I have one new chamber (probably rebuilt) but the other looks a little "original" but they work great...for now.   NJT was pretty good about keeping the brakes in good condition.   
Cliff, you still planning on coming up to Timmonsville?  Hope so!
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
ol713

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2006, 08:33:22 PM »

Hi Brian D.,

I was replying to Brian B's earlier comment. Have to get my Brians right. Grin

Thanks for the information on your experience.

Having a 30 year old coach I am leaning to buying the rebuild again.

I keep thinking that I if I buy a kit(half of new) and find something worn or damaged not included, and then I have to that,

I agree, once rebuilt, will probably not have to do that again.
I might as well buy a rebuilt unit with the warranty.

Plus, these are the original cans and I doubt will wear them out again.(rebuilt)

Decisions, decisions...

Cliff
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2006, 04:19:24 AM »

JR,

Yes, I am still planning on making it to Timmonsville.

Just can't make a firm commitment yet.

Depends on what happens with the Hurricane season around that date.

I have scheduled time off for a 5 day weekend though Grin

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2006, 04:35:06 AM »

Are you a FEMA inspector? My SIL spent a couple of months in Texas and Florida last year doing this, is the rason I ask.
Richard

JR,

Cliff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2006, 05:09:17 AM »

Richard,

Not a FEMA inspector.

I am Systems Engineer for a large privatley owned utility.

With over 3 million customers in Central FL.

So all vacation is subject to change during storm season. Cry

Mark Twain
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2006, 05:12:52 AM »

JR,

Cliff

Very good!  See you there, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2006, 03:16:26 PM »

Cliff, I vote for disassembling the unit and seeing what needs replacing. If it's just a diaphram and a spring or two, you'd likely pay less than $100 for parts to DIY without too much effort. If there's a lot of work to do in there, rust/corrosion, etc., put it back together and send it in as the core for the rebuilt can (and warranty) for the $400.

The biggest thing to watch for is damage around the sealing rings. If they're chipped or gouged at all, go ahead and pony up for a rebuilt can.

For the kinds of work you've done on your conversion, you obviously have the skills to rebuild one of these. Whether you have the time, is another thing. And whether you're comfortable doing the job (life safety, etc.) is something else. And only you can answer those questions.

Keep us posted either way... and good luck!

Brian Brown

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »

Cliff,
Just my personal touch on this subject, if Sonnie Gray can take off his DD3 cans and install regular spring brake cans and system and he had driven over 30,000 miles if I recall for sure, then I say to heck with these bandits with the high priced DD3 which are antiquated and just plan suck. 

You know I love to rebuild things and save $$ but I believe these DD3's are not worth the price they have put on them and absolutely refuse to use them.  I would rather use a 2 X 4 through the floor board that the wife can pull on when we need to slow down.  (A little humor there).  Again, there is not one, not even one excuse I can accept why these DD3 are so expensive.  Let them eat them as far as I am concerned.  I will change every valve, every air line, and every brake can to run with spring brakes and take that to the bank on my 1973 model 05!!

Now this is my personal position on this, enough is enough to me for this high priced stuff.   If I could come up with a safe, rebuild of these cans for all to consider doing with instructions I would do it in a hear beat to help anyone save the money.  I cannot accept even one excuse for the cost!!

Good luck in your decision buddy,
just make a safe decision for you and family.
Gary

Gary
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 05:13:27 PM »

Gary,

Yeah, I dont like the price off the DD3 rebuilts or parts either.

Especially when you compare them to the spring brake equipment.

But I do accept the fact that it is supply and demand at work.

Bendix makes zillions of the spring brakes and rebuids the old DD3's in a very limited prodution at a premium.

Heck the core charge is 200.00, these things are in a limited supply, they want the core back.

Anyway, I will bite the bullet and rebuild them or buy a rebuilt unit and hope I get 30 years out of this set, A little above my comfort level to redesign brake mounts at

this point.

Cliff

Mark Twain
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 05:38:17 PM »

I am sure you are making the right decision for you and your family Cliff, take care.
Gary

Gary
Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 11:03:16 PM »

First off, I'm not directing this at you specifically, Gary. But this issue with DD3's comes up on the boards every so often. So for the DD3 neighsayers, I say, take one apart sometime and you'll see why they're so expensive. It's not only 'supply and demand' at work making these cans so pricy... there's a lot of engineering at work in a DD3 can... not just a big fat spring that can kill somebody from taking apart a spring brake without caging it.

Better yet, pull the emergency brakes at speed in a DD3 coach compared to one with spring brakes and you'll see how much better air stops a coach than springs. A DD3 is a redundant airbrake, folks. And those extra set of airbrakes cost more than a set of big springs. Why act like it's a consipracy or something?

There's a reason MCI and GMC spec'd these things long after spring brakes were found on every other piece of heavy machinery... safety. And $400 a can is a small price to pay for that, friends.

And for those that moan about their DD3 systems not working properly... fix 'em. These systems worked in day-to-day revenue hauling service for decades and millions upon millions of miles, given proper maintenence and upkeep. Spend a weekend and a few bucks getting your system working to proper specs. and the system could outlive you.

There's no way in heck I'd willingly trade out my DD3's for springs. No way.

Climbing off of soapbox now,
Brian

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 07:17:43 AM »

Yes, Sonnie did replace his DD3s with spring brakes. But he also installed a CAT engine and removed the bogies replading them with a tag axle. He is way ahead of me in engineeering and modifying abilities. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 09:00:16 AM »

Brian said "there's a lot of engineering at work in a DD3 can... not just a big fat spring that can kill somebody from taking apart a spring brake without caging it."

Brian, you are so right. 

You can't really compare them dollar for dollar, as one is at least twice the componet of the other.

Thanks for stating what I was thinking, just not typing.

Cliff

Mark Twain
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: