Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 01:59:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Search may be over...  (Read 4334 times)
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:23 PM »

Hello everyone!  It's been a while.  I've been busy searching for and looking at buses!  And I think I the search may be over.  I have made an offer on a PD-4905 Buffalo and should know something soon, maybe tomorrow.  Mechanically, it is excellent and it has a great body, but it is stripped out.  After all the advice here and from some friends who know buses, I have come to agree that most old outdated old conversions aren't worth the money the owners think they are worth.   It's model number is 4905-256.  I will let you know how it goes...

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »

You can see here where some jerk stole the bumper.  Pretty dirty as you can see, but nothing a little pressure wash won't fix!

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 08:05:57 PM »

Marc -

Here's a copy of my answer posted on the GMC Yahell busnut's bbs:

Well, it could be one of two, depending on the VIN.

First:  PD4905-256 was delivered new in June of 1971 as fleet number 1104 to LER Transportation (H.A.M.L. Corp), based out of New Brunswick, NJ.

Second, with a slightly different VIN: P8M4905A-256 was delivered new in February of 1973 as fleet number 100 to Central Post Fund, based at Ft. Bragg, NC.

So, double-check the VIN with the seller to confirm which one it is.

Also, check the first one carefully for rust, especially around the upper deck vista windows, the two "D" windows, and around the rear window, since it was a coach operated primarily in the Rust Belt.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

PS:  In addition to the dash plaque, the VIN is also stamped on the "frame rail" (actually the wall of the spare tire compartment) inside the exterior compartment located underneath the driver.

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 08:11:11 PM »

Thanks RJ,

I replied there as well...  It is the second one.  It hasn't gone far, still in North Carolina.  Beautiful rust-free body!  And it is a 1973, not a 1971.  Actually I am a 1971 model, not the bus! LOL. Thanks for checking!

Marc

NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 03:28:06 AM »

Lotsa potential there, hope it works out for ya,   Did you find a mechanic to check it out?

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 03:38:12 AM »

Good job, Marc. We will look forward to hearing more, if you get it.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:25:08 AM »

Lotsa potential there, hope it works out for ya,   Did you find a mechanic to check it out?

One of our church members is a bus mechanic, and the guy who is selling this bus is also a diesel mechanic who also works on buses for local churches.

Paso One

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:27 AM »

One of our church members is a bus mechanic, and the guy who is selling this bus is also a diesel mechanic who also works on buses for local churches.

Wow! jumpsuitman  a double holy deal Smiley Smiley

Sorry couldn't resist  glad you found the right one.

68 5303 Fishbowl 40' x 102"
6V71  V730 4:10
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 07:25:12 AM »

Wow! jumpsuitman  a double holy deal Smiley Smiley

I like it.  In my experience only holy deals work out well.
 Grin
Marc

Sorry couldn't resist  glad you found the right one.

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 07:37:20 AM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:09:22 PM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:54:35 AM »

Ummm, I'm not trying to be a naysayer here but,
Many times it has been found that the maintenance budget for the bus has been left up to a higher power when owned by a church.
Then there's the "and the guy who is selling this bus is also a diesel mechanic who also works on buses for local churches."  Isn't that like having the fox inspect the hen house?

We just want you to be careful and aren't saying not to go for it. I wouldn't be afraid to take many buses that others turn down, but that's because I feel comfortable with my abilities to handle any problems that come up. (Just look at the junker that I drive now!)

This is going to be a huge learning experience for you and we all want you to have the best experience possible!

If you feel comfortable, and like the deal, go for it, nothing can happen to that bus that either hasn't already happened or can't be fixed with a small piece of plastic.

I agree with the fox and the hen analogy.  I don't even trust people as far as I can throw them.  We'll see what happens.  I expect to learn lots. Wink

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 08:34:14 AM »

Many times it has been found that the maintenance budget for the bus has been left up to a higher power when owned by a church.
If you feel comfortable, and like the deal, go for it, nothing can happen to that bus that either hasn't already

I avoided opening this can of worms earlier this morning but I'm glad to pile on once it has been opened.   Grin

Over 30 years in business my experience was that the customers who most loudly protested their religiousity were also the ones who were quickest to take advantage of me on a deal.  So my advice is to trust your inspection ahead of your Lord.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »

If you feel comfortable, and like the deal, go for it, nothing can happen to that bus that either hasn't already

I avoided opening this can of worms earlier this morning but I'm glad to pile on once it has been opened.   Grin

Over 30 years in business my experience was that the customers who most loudly protested their religiousity were also the ones who were quickest to take advantage of me on a deal.  So my advice is to trust your inspection ahead of your Lord.

You didn't read the post correctly.  The seller is the mechanic and MY FRIEND WHO IS A BUS MECHANIC goes to our church.  Why open up a religous can of worms?  Unwise.

RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 09:05:36 AM »

Marc -

Just because the bus is in NC, doesn't mean that it didn't migrate there from the Rust Belt.

Open up that exterior compartment under the driver and confirm which VIN it is, that way you'll know for sure. 

Here's a pic of what you're looking for and where you'll find it - it's actually of my own coach, but you get the idea:

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 09:48:49 AM »

Marc -

Just because the bus is in NC, doesn't mean that it didn't migrate there from the Rust Belt.

Open up that exterior compartment under the driver and confirm which VIN it is, that way you'll know for sure. 

Here's a pic of what you're looking for and where you'll find it - it's actually of my own coach, but you get the idea:

Thanks RJ, I'll double check, but the title is 1973, not 1971, and it is very clean, no rust.  If it went to Ft. Bragg from new, it would make sense that this is the 1973 bus.

Marc

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: