Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 11:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Search may be over...  (Read 4420 times)
mc5a Jon

My boy and his toys.

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »

Where do you get this history for an MCI? Huh
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2009, 03:48:16 PM »

Front and rear Bumper for a P8M4905A
The front and rear bumper for a 4905A you can use a 4107-4108 or a PD4903 or a H8H649.
Front bumper from a 4104,4106 and the PD4501 Scenicruiser will NOT work.I have been there and tried to do that!
The side bumper extensions you can use any thing from 4104 through H8H649.
The side bumper extensions are different between left and right the left extension has a cut out in the top rear corner
for the tool compartment door latch handle.
The brackets and rubber isolator's that  let you mount the bumper extensions might be sort of hard to locate but call around some one might have some NOS one's in there stock.
Good luck with your new GMC Buffalo.
jlv
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2009, 05:58:28 PM »

The side bumper extensions are different between left and right: the left extension has a cut out in the top rear corner for the tool compartment door latch handle.

Marc -

JLV's been working on too many airplanes, got his top & bottom mixed up!   Grin  (JK, JLV, all in good fun!!)

The left side bumper extension has the cut-out for the tool compartment door latch handle on the bottom rear corner (lower right as you're standing looking at the bus).  I was out at my coach (4106) earlier today, and had to open the compartment to take that pic for you of the VIN location.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2009, 06:46:15 PM »

RJ Thanks for the correction. Grin
Seems like as I get older it's easy to get confused more often. Huh
jlv Cheesy
Charles in SC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »

If you listen to to everyone here you will never get a bus. Just do a kamakasie screame and buy it. There will be things that you did not expect that are good and bad. You will never go swimming if you do not get in the water. My .02 worth

S8M 5303 built in 1969, converted in 2000
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »

I believe the last actual legitimate owner/operator was the church, fairly large one about an hour north of here.  As for the Ft. Bragg ownership, well... we're talking 36 years ago, right?

No i didn't get that.  I thought the Ft Bragg was more recent in terms of mileage if not years.  seemed odd that they would be keeping a bus that vintage but then I thought that this is the Army we are talking about.  There were also references about how well Iggles were maintained by the USAF.

You seem to have verified much of the condition that I didn't think you had.  Air suspension, rust, engine condition, etc.  Good for you...really.  If it isn't smoking even at start-up then it seems it is in excellent condition.  Wrong oil or too long an interval between changes OR lugging the thing would all ruin it so they must have had their act together.  You have heard from group members that have hundreds of years of specific experience with 2 strokes and buses and GM buses....excluding me.  Don't interpret their words of caution as talking down or denigrating your own experience, which seems to be considerable, in any way.  It is all intended as constructive, all of it.

I would verify the type of oil that is in it and I for sure would have the coolant analyzed along with the oil to set a base line for detecting problems.

I have met Knuts with 4905 automatics that have a tach on the dash and NEVER let the 740 decide when to shift.  They do it manually in accord with the load and rpm. 

Glad to hear that all is going well with you.

John 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:41 PM »

I have met Knuts with 4905 automatics that have a tach on the dash and NEVER let the 740 decide when to shift.  They do it manually in accord with the load and rpm. 

John -

740s are T-drive slushboxes, a 4905 would have a V-drive 730.

Just helping you with your GMC education!   Grin

But you're right about shifting the Allison manually, regardless of which model!

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 09:52:22 PM »

RJ,

I'll stand corrected on the trans.  They were running the V730 and they shifted it manually.  Nice catch there RJ... Roll Eyes Grin Grin Grin Kiss

How about you start the Jumper off with a Jake brake intro and a descript of the trans mod that keeps the torque converter locked up in 1st for steep and slow decent.

John 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2009, 10:06:44 PM »

John -

Can't help with that one, mine's a stick!

But TomC has posted how it's done, maybe he'll chime in here and follow-up.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2009, 11:06:32 PM »

Tom C's shifting method is in this thread:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=1458.0

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »

TJSM,

The info that Tom provides seems valuable to me.  But it is not what I was referring to.  Note the lack of mention of the jake and going DOWNHILL.  Still, all of what they say is gold if I were siting down in the pilots chair of a 4905.

Now, what I was referring to is a trans mod that allows you to force the Allison to stay in torque converter lockup.  If you are descending a long and tightly winding grade the Jake is usually worthless.  When the trans shifts into TC mode there is no real braking force as the TC spins.  The mod is a tube/pipe connection between two ports on the trans with a elect cont hyd valve in the line.  Actuate the valve and the TC stays locked up. Remember to switch off before coming to a stop.  I thought that was one superb cost to benefit ratio upgrade.  The savings in brake lining only once would pay for it 10 or 20 times over depending on how badly the shop was raping you.

Good luck,

John

—Pla
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2009, 05:28:10 AM »

Did you get the bus?

There is something about the engine falling out if you have issues where it mounts.  Check that and I'm sure more can tell you what the issue is. Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
thejumpsuitman

'79/'97 Eagle 05

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2009, 06:08:06 AM »

John -

Can't help with that one, mine's a stick!

But TomC has posted how it's done, maybe he'll chime in here and follow-up.

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

This Buffalo is a 4-spd.  Which I am happy about, actually.  I prefer that to a slushbox.  RJ, any advice on handling that wet clutch would be appreciated.

NewbeeMC9,
I haven't got it yet, but I think we are close on the negotiations. 

Marc

"Life is like a game of Pool... No matter how bad it looks, you take your shot."
RJ

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:15 PM »

This Buffalo is a 4-spd.  Which I am happy about, actually.  I prefer that to a slushbox.  RJ, any advice on handling that wet clutch would be appreciated.

Marc -

Reading this will help:

http://www.busnut.com/bbs/messages/12262/16204.html?1167073154

After reading, drop me a pm and I'll fill you in on other details.  Have spent a LOT of wheel time in wet clutch 4905s, so am very familiar with their quirks.

Did you confirm the VIN yet?

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: