Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 11:43:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Furnace location  (Read 1287 times)
kwood

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2006, 04:11:41 PM »

I have a Suburban propane furnace that is 23" deep.  I want to install this in my MCI9.  Any advice for locating the furnace?  I wanted to install it where the fresh air intake is on the left front of the bus underneath a couch (like in my old travel trailer), but there is a framerail above floor level and raising the furnace to clear this would make the couch too tall.  The only other place I see is inside a cabinet in the back bedroom I am building.  To do this I would have to raise it nearly waist-high to fit between the side frame rails.  I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Kevin
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 04:30:58 PM »

The deepest cabnets in the coach seem to be the under sink variety.  The length of that cabnet is long enough that you can duct inside it and place vents that direct air to the front half of the coach.  The space at the rear of the cabnets is difficult to use for storage without slides and won't be missed much.  The Suburban has outside access so deep ina cabnet won't matter.  I think you will have a lot of heartburn with trying to get the cold air intake to assist in air distribution.  The coach is small enough that a simple small fan directed at the ceiling from the floor keeps even the most equatorial feet warm.  A really small fan is all you need.  Done this for years in houses and RV's.  Opens up options in a coach.

HTH

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 05:09:58 PM »

Kevin, Mine is installed in the bottom of our closet, about 1/2 way back in the bus. It ducts through the bottom of the bunks and the bottom of the dinette. The return air is in the bedroom, so the drawing of the return air pulls the warm air into the bedroom. Look at my foto page on the info link with my contact info.
   One thing that you need to be cautious about: The vent that goes through the side of the coach needs to be between 2 bay doors when they are open.......If the vent discharge blows directly on an open bay door, the door is so close to the vent that it will burn the paint on the door........it gets too hot......hope this helps. I can send photos if you need-chuck

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Ross

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »

Mine is in the front bay where the original AC fan motors used to be.  Exhaust is vented to the outside via a stainless flexible pipe and intake comes from the front bay.  I converted the old air return duct to a supply duct and installed 4 registers in the floor of bus.  It works very well, nice even heating thoughout the bus.

Ross
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 06:12:08 PM »

Mine is in the kitchen area and uses the toe kick space for the return air.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 08:37:11 PM »

Like Len, mine is in the kitchen right next to the stove also using the toe kick space as the return air (I have the stove and the furnace right next to each other so my propane lines are as short as possible-they are the only propanein the butt accessories I have, and with an electric solenoid shut off from inside-everything else is electric).  I would keep it forward since the furnace isn't as quiet as they could be.  But now they have two speed furnaces.  If you can, that would be the best way.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kwood

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 06:17:15 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys, I am working through alternative spots now. 

Good to see  your pics, Chuck.  You've got a very nice bus. 

Regards,

Kevin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: