Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 01:29:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This's a question that's been driving me bats for months......  (Read 2083 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2006, 05:01:09 PM »

Every other day I need to air up my bus to keep the old broad 'on her feet' so to speak.  Whan I get to BK's soiree at the end of October I'l have the opportunity to put her over the Pit and do some extensive spraying with the detergent peppered water and find whatever minor leaks I have...but in the meantime...and my questions is:

How, and where if at all possible, does one block up an MC5A so that it doesn't settle out after prolonged periods of parking?  The previous owner had blocks to put under the jack points (Duh!) which probably made him feel better but I'm a realist and I've figured out that his way is an excercise in frustration.

If it can't be done without stressing the frame....I'll settle for that...but...inquiring minds want to know! Wink

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Stan

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »

A block between the body jack points and the ground will hold the bus level to the ground. A block beside an air bag will hold it level to the axle, the same as the airbag does.
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 06:59:54 PM »

Bob, may I ask why you want it to stay aired up? You could hook up the shop air (with a water separator of course) and air up the bus to get it back up. I have to let the air out of my coach to get it into the barn. They air up really fast without the air suspension in the circuit.
Unless you can isolate the airbags from the general system, and your airbags are relatively new, it ain't likely to stay up long. Mine won't. That's why I installed ball valves between the airbags and leveling valves. I don't use a front leveling valve. Just a regulator and valves so that I can exhaust air when I want for leveling.
You can bet that every regulator on your bus is leaking, as is the AC belt tensioner cyl, blower belt tens cyl, wipers and wiper controls, drain valves on tanks, possible air suspension may have major leaks, air compressor gov, filter dryer...the list is endless.
I agree, getting it on a pit will be invaluable. Get you a jumper so you can attach shop air to your coach at BKs...makes dx air systems much easier.
See you at Timmonsville, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 08:22:32 PM »

My bus will settle in about a week on its bumpers.  Doesn't hurt anything, and as a matter a fact I like it since it is then easier to get into the bus from the ground level.  I have manual height adjusting solenoids besides the automatic leveling valves. I know that the auto leveling valves are the culprit since when I have the manual valves activated, it'll stay up for two weeks (have new air bags also).  So don't get wigged out when the bus settles back down, the bags also settle down quite nicely.  It's when you don't have air in the air bags then lift the bus up that pinching of the bags can occur.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 04:31:00 AM »

Bob,
   Are you getting in and out of the bus many times while it is sitting?  Once the air pressure bleeds off of the system, everytime you step into the bus, the ride height valve arm moves slightly to add air but since there is no air pressure in the line coming to the valve, a little air from the bag is lost. These small loses add up. Also ride height valves are known to be a common source of air leaks. As was mentiioned, if possible, conect your bus to shop air and see if this makes a difference.
   When we installed our leveling system, we put a solenoid between the air bags and the ride height valve that is closed except when bus is running. Bus will now stay up for weeks.  Hope this helps and lookin' forward to meetin' ya'll at
Timmonsville.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 05:08:48 AM »

FIX THE LEAKS!!!!.......if you can! LOL. Leaks cost more than you think. Wear & tear on the compressor, the addition of moisture into the system, the extra fuel to manufacture the HP to turn the air compressor,  the list goes on.

That said, we all know it is about impossible to get 'em all. You may want to consider installing a small 12v compressor for when the bus is off. Switched & fused of course. Do away with the standard pressure switch and use a wide differential switch you can set to maybe 70 cut in & 120 cut off. Nick can probably sell you one. That way it won't be coming on very much. 

my $0.06 worth (inflation + I'm expensive Grin)

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 06:03:19 AM »

Bob,

I woulld bet there are some stops by the air bags to make sure the that the bus doesn't settle all the way down on the

air bags.

There are on my GMC. 

Just put some 4X4' pieces's in the gaps and let it settle down on these for a temp solution.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 09:23:43 PM »

NC,

I have the same concern on my 4104. I've used the blocks between the rubber bumper and frame for short periods but this bumper is not designed for constant pressure and will flatten over time. It is desgned to keep the suspension and frame from hitting under extreme conditions.

I've been chasing air leaks for a year now. Every time I find one I think the problem is solved but it never is. I guess eventually I will find all the leaks but I have my doubts.

Cold weather makes the air leak out very fast as does parking it on uneven ground.

When I drive the bus on a long trip it will stay up for days but after it sits a couple of weeks it won't hold air more than a few hours?? Never have figured that one out.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 04:43:49 AM »

Gusc,

I have made it a personal mission to find and stop my air leaks.

I finally after much diligence have my suspension under control, doesn't drop at all unless like Jack said

that I am going in and out alot, even then it is now minor.

The thing I found was that every time a leak was fixed, that we were upping the pressure in the system and exposing some other leaks that had

not shown up before or were unnoticable at the lower pressure in that area.

So, it ends up fix one, recheck everything again. Tedious, but the joy of no air loss in my suspension now Grin only a BusNut could appreciate.

Thats sort of what happended with my DD3's, one side had a park diaphram leak, fixed it, took a long trip, now the other side didn't like all that new pressure.

Now that diaphram "gave up the ghost"

And last, everything you fix at home is a pleasure, compared to the side of the road(and believe me. I know) Roll Eyes

Keep up the good fight, you will get there. Wink

Cliff

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 07:43:28 PM »

Just put some 4X4' pieces's in the gaps and let it settle down on these for a temp solution.
Cliff

4 Foot pieces? Is this a monster bus??? Sorry I couldn't resist!!! BK Grin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 07:45:23 PM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2006, 05:08:18 AM »

That way you do not have to craw under the bus to locate them in place. LOL
Richard

Cliff

4 Foot pieces? Is this a monster bus??? Sorry I couldn't resist!!! BK Grin

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2006, 09:12:03 AM »

BK,

This is a tuff room Grin

4"x4" pieces Roll Eyes

Cliff

Mark Twain
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2006, 05:16:47 PM »

On your blocks, Insert a couple of screw eyebolts on two sides. attach a bit of nylon rope to one of the eyes
and make up a long J-hook with a handle on it out of 5/16 steel rod.

Use the Handle to pick up the blocks and insert or adjust them or even remove them. The cord is to retrieve the blocks
when you drop them or want to move them.

----------                  (_________________|
|        |D                                               |
----------

Silly But it works and the J-Hook is good for reaching under the car, truck or bus to drag jacks and jack stands out of the
way too...

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006, 10:21:39 PM »

When we installed our leveling system, we put a solenoid between the air bags and the ride height valve that is closed except when bus is running. Bus will now stay up for weeks.(Jack Conrad)

I believe this is what the previous owner did to my bus. Even when all air pressure is lost it still keeps its bags full. The longest I have gone without starting my bus is three weeks, and it still had not lost its bag air.

The next time I park the bus for any length of time I am going to tamp a stake into the ground beside it and attempt to measure any drop in height. I am not exaggerating, it will take weeks.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 10:25:24 PM by Barn Owl » Logged

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Its the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: