Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 02:12:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much propane needed for heat?  (Read 4154 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 08:48:48 AM »

I am planning to use a regular large cylinder to small cylinder conversion hose with the Big Buddy.  I don't see why I would need to pay $25 or $30 for the Mr Heater hose.  I already have the regular hose.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 09:02:38 AM »

With hooking a 20 pound bottle and a long hose to the Big Buddy, doI need another regulator installed? the unit comes with 2 regs on each side for the 1 pounders, also do I need a tee to both inlets? Seems to work with just one lil' bottle installed, or is that the tee that is already in place for the 2 bottles to hook up, this gets so confusing at times, maybe I am putting to much into this extension line thing. Just don't want to go POOOF! before I warm up Undecided

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2009, 09:05:15 AM »

also I am aware that the line needs the hand fitting for the bottle(20lb) and the quick disconnect for the heater side connections. Wink

cody

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2009, 09:09:57 AM »

I'm not sure what is needed to hook a larger cylinder to the big buddy, I did buy the 12 ft hose but it's still in the package lol.  With the other heater, I've moved the big buddy heater to the reserve list.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2009, 09:22:50 AM »

The manual says this heater can be used with one or two one pound cylinders.  You can also use a hose that replaces one pound cylinders, but you are supposed to use their inline fuel filter.

If you use the quick disconnect hose it has a regulator attached.  Otherwise, the other hoses go through the built-in regulator.  No way am I going to pay $50 for the quick disconnect hose if the other hose I already own will work.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

I agree, I will have to find a line that will reach down into the bay and feed my stove and the heater for now, until we actually start building the interior. Thanks! Smiley

TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2009, 07:39:04 PM »

.... clip .... You can also use a hose that replaces one pound cylinders, but you are supposed to use their inline fuel filter.

And it's there for a good reason.

If you choose to use heater with a larger tank and extention hose, you really need to use the inline filter. Failing to do so will deposit some kind of gunk in the valves in the heater, destroying some internal parts, o rings and seals.

If you think you'll save any money running without the filter, you'll probably find out the replacement parts to fix your heater after it's damaged, cost more than the filter does.

Been there, got the T shirt.

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 07:58:04 PM »

I went to Northern Tool today and bought the Big Buddy heater along with the fuel filter.  The filter was a lot cheaper than the special quick disconnect hose that Northern Tool didn't appear to have anyhow.

I might get a chance to try it out tomorrow.

white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2009, 05:55:19 AM »

we had a propane ventless wall heater that took up too much space and replaced it with a big buddy that can be stored when not needed.  i added a 6 foot hose with the connects for the mr heater buddy to the end of the existing copper line.  no new filter.  so far ok.  the big tanks (40lb?) seem not to power both burners well, but it does do one of them great.  i think not enough pressure as with the small tanks.

one burner is enough so far, to supplement the electric toe-kicks.  we got the mr buddy because we will only have 20a breaker at bussin and we know it gets cold enough that 1 toe-kick ain't enough to keep momma warm, even with my help.  Cheesy

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
cody

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2009, 08:17:51 AM »

Here are a couple of pics, the first is the house we bought for jamie, it's an old home that was built in 1881, 2200 sq ft, in baraga, this is where we've been, this pic was one that we took right when we bought it, we haven't used the wood boiler thats in the basement of it so we gave away the wood but the pic shows the house, we're parked right in front of the left hand door of the garage, the second pic is of one wall of her living room, it shows the little 10K heater chugging away on the wall, that little heater is the only heat we have in the house and it's keeping it in the upper 60's to lower 70's, thats how well they work.  Anyone with a use for an old cast iron wood boiler, anyone brave enough to tote it can remove it and take it lol.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 02:39:20 PM »

Wow Cody that tiny heater is all your using to heat that big ol' house?
I know, I know it's keeping it warm, but if it were me I'd have to have several of them or some other back up unit! I don't like being cold!

Also I remember when ya'll was down here we were out driving my dually and Libby had a sweater, a jacket, and a blanket on her and had me cranking the heat to boot! I was about to get out and ride in the back with the dogs, where it was a nice comfy 50* outside.

I just think that in the interest of keeping Miss Libby's cold blood warm, you might need back up! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 02:57:08 PM »

Yep Bryce, thats all thats heating the house, I did order another to put in the kitchen cause thats at the other end of the house, for the weather we've had so far it's been all we needed but I know we are in for some colder weather, it'll get down to around -20F to -40F at times, so far it hasn't gotten below about -5F but mostly been hanging in the low 20's to mid teens, thats pretty mild.  You'll notice above and too the right of the christmas tree there is a fan mounted just below the ceiling, thats critical to keep the air moving, it blows out towards the dining room.  Libby doesn't seem to be as cold as she used to be, I'm thinking the blood being able to circulate is helping her a lot.
Oregonconversion

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 01:58:02 AM »

I have a big buddy heater hooked to a 40# tank and it works great!

1977 MC8
8V92 HT740
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2009, 06:41:51 AM »

I didn't get a chance to try the heater out this weekend.  I spent much of my Sunday reinstalling Windows XP on my desktop.  I had to redo it about four times because the network driver I had didn't work.  I ended up using an older network driver and it worked.  My PC was still working, but I was having some problems with IE after I had a virus a while back.  It was time to reinstall after four years anyhow.

I plan to try out the heater on Saturday if the outside temps aren't subzero.  It doesn't make a lot of sense to try to work in the evenings since it will take a while to heat up.

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: