Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 05:38:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wood working guys  (Read 2137 times)
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 07:10:57 AM »

O  no!!!!   Just that cabinets are painted now and not what Judy thinks is ....

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
cody

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 07:23:59 AM »

Oh ok, are you going to pop the facings off and keep the casework and replace the facings and doors and drawer fronts or a complete redo.
Runcutter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »

Robert, there's a Woodcraft store in Evansville, according to their store locator.  You might find a visit worthwhile.  I'm a regular (2-3 times a week) at the Dallas store, where all of the employees are woodworkers.  There's a fairly large group of us, amateur/semipro/professional woodworkers, that drop in frequently (think the old cracker barrell/domino game at the general store), to discuss our current projects and learn from each other.  

When I built the dining table for the 4107, curly maple and walnut, resawn and book-matched.  I designed it with raised leaves (instead of dropped leaves), and breadboard ends.  The raised leaves go up for access to the seats, drop down for dining.  I don't know how many times I dropped in with a status report, and a request for suggestions on specifics. 

If the Evansville store is at all akin to the Dallas store (and Merrillville, Indiana when I dropped in there), there will be a wealth of knowledge.  The courses are highly worthwhile, not only for the content (which side of the board do you face out on cabinet door rails and stiles, and why), but for how to fix mistakes.

The last piece I built, a church podium, had about 4 "mistakes" in the final product, all hidden because of what I learned in the classes I've taken.

Arthur
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:47:16 AM by Runcutter » Logged

Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others
cody

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »

Now I'm impressed, over the years I think I can count on one hand the people that know what side of a board to face out on the rails and stiles of a door, most feel that the width of the piece is small enough to not worry about anything.  My grandfather was the ultimate master cabinetmaker to me, we all idolize our grandparents to a certain degree but now and then I still find furniture he had built years ago at auction or for sale and I've even seen a few pieces in museums around the area, to me he was the best of the best, he's been gone now since the 60's but I still remember his shop vividly, OSHA whould have had a field day in it lol, it was powered by what I think was a model A or model T engine with a manual clutch that he would throw by hand to fire it up, there was a long shaft running the length of the shop along the ceiling and had wide belts that he would flip over the pulleys by hand to power a certain tool. He even had a forge in the corner cause now and then he would have to pour another babbit bearing for one of the tools, my job was to fill the oil cups in the morning and as they needed it thru out the day, what little I know about wood, I learned in that shop from him and my dad.
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 11:04:37 AM »

Just new pretty work will leave design alone; she likes that.Besides its something to do and another thing to learn...will check out Woodcraft store..would easily take classes..

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: