Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 12:13:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wheel seal?  (Read 3596 times)
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 01:28:52 PM »

I am doing that very job now (drive axle). Pressure washed for 2 hr. Managed to get bus bay, wheels, walls washer hose and myself covered with what is either crude oil, or tar!!! I replaced everything!!! Don't want to go there again soon. Be very careful with the seal. DO NOT TAP AREA WHERE THE RUBBER IS!! It will become useless in a few miles if the seal can't turn inside of the seal housing. P.S. Do yourself a big favor and spring for one of the axle nut sockets. They are  special so a std 4" will not work. Looks like my previous mechanic just used a redneck wrench( Chisel).
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »

I swear that dirt and grease can actually jump several feet when they see me nearby. Grin

Ed,
  I see you suffer from the same affliction as me.  When we were dancing with a clogging group, the men wore white Levis.  I would not change into mine on until right before we went on stage--and I would still get them dirty. LOL  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 03:33:21 PM »

I swear that dirt and grease can actually jump several feet when they see me nearby. Grin

Ed,
  I see you suffer from the same affliction as me.  When we were dancing with a clogging group, the men wore white Levis.  I would not change into mine on until right before we went on stage--and I would still get them dirty. LOL  Jack

That's probably because you had to walk past some guy who had his engine bay doors open, and everyone knows a guy can't walk past an open engine bay door without stopping and .....  Roll Eyes

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »

Yeah, but Craig i can stop 3 ft. away from an open door and still get dirty! Huh

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 04:58:17 PM »

Yeah, but Craig i can stop 3 ft. away from an open door and still get dirty! Huh

Yeah, I know. Me too. But I've decided that's just who I am. Grease defines me!  Cheesy

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 06:51:46 PM »

Ed, I too, would be supportive of greased bearings for the typical busnut duty cycle, that is, hardly driven, sits for long periods between use, and might get taken apart again sometime in the next decade...

From the many discussions and fleet experience I have read about in the transportation trade press over the last odd 20 years, synthetic, semi-synthetic, old school, oil, grease, ....

There are many supportive arguments for every type...in commercial service, where it goes down the road all the time, and gets torn down annually.

However, as soon as you get into trailers in applications that sit a lot, greased bearings have a large following.

Lube stays on all parts regardless of whether they are at the top or bottom, and the seals/mating surfaces aren't as easily dried out for the same reason: grease stays put.

I also understand that Europe is much more likely to use grease, fleet managers over there don't think much of the North American propensity for leaking wheel seals taking out a set of brake linings.

I guess I'll have to decide what to do with mine this time, the wheel ends are one of the PM jobs on the go/no go list that is keeping me off the road.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:52 PM »

Buswarrior,

Are you going to Arcadia?

John
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 09:26:15 AM »

Having recently done my wheel seals and not wanting to go there again, what is involved in switching to greased bearings? Can I just pack them with grease and hope for the best, or is there a kit involved to hold the grease from running into the differential when it gets warm? I want to get my ducks in a row now because I know it's just a matter of time before I'm sliding them duallys over a greased plank again LOL.
Thanks, Will
PS-Merry Xmas to all who still believe in Santa Grin

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 09:29:20 AM »

Will, you can do the front and tag axle but it is what it is on the rear axle LOL they are designed for liquid grease to wash the metal particles from wear back to the housing and settle in the bottom

good luck
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 09:38:48 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 09:40:58 AM »

Will, you can do the front and tag axle but it is what it is on the rear axle LOL they are designed for liquid grease to wash the metal particles from wear back to the housing and settle in the bottom

good luck

Thank you for clearing that up for me. Happy Holidays, Will

edroelle

1998 Royale Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 06:10:39 PM »

A kit does exist for the drive axle.   I bought a kit from Luke for the drive axle to keep the differential oil from mixing with the bearing grease.  I installed grease for the outer bearing because of wear - but I don't remember where.   Really !!

Give him a call

Ed Roelle
Flint, MI
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: