Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
September 25, 2017, 01:15:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OIL leak S60/50 oil cooler  (Read 1032 times)
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:26:25 PM »

Found an oil leak on the Series 50. Coming from the bottom side of the oil cooler/filter housing. Oil filters are dry on top and sides. Hard to see exact location without removing the oil filters. Which I don't want to do until I get the bus turned around. Engine end is at the door and that's a long walk to the toolbox.  I know there's O rings involved and a gasket. But I don't know the gotcha's. Any info would be appreciated before I start to the teardown.
And that oil leak also canceled our appearance at Bussin' 10 Sad

Thanks
Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT740
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »

Make sure the leak is really coming from the oil cooler.  I thought the oil cooler on my S60 was leaking, but it turned out to be a hole in the oil feed line to the turbo.  BK fixed the line with some brake line and couplers.

I have a couple minor oil leaks on my S60 that I can't figure out, but I'm not losing enough oil to even notice on the dip stick so I'm not terribly worried.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 05:15:17 AM »

Thanks will look there to confirm not a leak source,
Bill

Bill & Lynn
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 05:30:05 AM »

Bill, the series 50 engines are bad about cracking the cooler in the area you speak of so do a close up inspection in that area.
I hope that is not your problem there is no gotcha's on removing the cooler

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 03:05:36 PM »

Thanks for the input about cracking.
The cooler/adapter assembly is a bugger to get off, The water return to the block was the problem child for removal. I got a mechanic to come over for the removal. Glad I did because it took him an hour to get the unit loose.
Anyway found the oil return line 'o'ring to be the culprit, cracked and fairly stiff,
Replaced 'o'rings and reinstalled. Waiting on turbo gasket which is available after 6PM. Then I can add coolant and check for leaks.
BTW 7 degrees outside and wind of 20MPH.

Bill, who should be in Florida by now

Bill & Lynn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: