Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 04:39:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: making headlights that you can see by  (Read 6014 times)
cody

« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2009, 02:44:25 PM »

A pair of those would look great on my chair lol.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2009, 08:45:47 PM »

Cody,

What?Huh?  What???  I don't un.....Huh  HOLYY CRAP Cody....II never said anyth....  DANG!!!

Nice one guy,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
cody

« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2009, 09:29:25 PM »

John, I have a power chair and libby is always worried about me out after dark without lighting, she feels I may get run over by a train or other fast moving vehicle, I even caught her one time conspiring with another busnut one time to duct tape a yellow flashing light onto a hard hat for me, lol.  Life can be so unfair sometimes lol.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2009, 10:34:52 PM »

Cody,
What?Huh?  What???  I don't un.....Huh  HOLYY CRAP Cody....II never said anyth....  DANG!!!
Nice one guy,
John

Cody I thnk he was referring to.......
Quote from: cody
John, sounds like not only a good idea but kinda kinky on the side too lol, I never knew I was involved with such a set of perverts here lol, now i know why I like you guys so much, it's a learning experience for someone as shy and innocent at I am.

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
cody

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2009, 10:45:45 PM »

See what I mean? it should be a crime to be as shy and innocent as I am, I'm going to have to take notes so that when I get older I'll understand what it all means.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2009, 11:00:33 PM »

Thanks BK.  I didn't have the heart.

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2009, 04:11:31 AM »

I just hope no one prints this stuff in the BCM! Roll Eyes

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
cody

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2009, 05:53:14 AM »

This stuff gets printed? Shocked
GDeen

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2009, 01:49:51 PM »

Hello, newbie here. 

1999 Prevost XLV with 2000 Marathon conversion.  Headlights are terrible as it sounds is common in the bus world.  I was leaning towards HID conversion but now I wonder - particularly after reading the HID conversion comments in this thread. 

So, A:) anyone familiar with http://www.buzzhidlights.com/ ?  Will that be like putting lipstick on a pig?

B:) anyone familiar with using the Cibie option on a Prevost and would that provide a better alternative to A? (I do have a single rectangular light-Ford I think)

Muchas Gracias.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2009, 03:12:11 PM »

GDeen,

Firstly, the hid used in conjunction with a "STOC" DOT HL will be a disaster for all that are driving against them.  Look at your lens, glass right(?), see all the tiniest little sand grain size texture on the inside?  That is DOT spec and it spreads the light out no matter how good the focus may be in the lens.  Look at the front of your bus at night and not that you can see things that are high when the low beams are on....triple the light energy and you interfere with oncoming.  Those BMW s use projector lens that focus like a razor.....even STOP signs are dim there is so little light up that high.

Color temp of 6000 is bad.  Looks good till you get in the wet or fog and then they are useless.  And your eyes are less sensitive to 6000 than 4000.  4000 gives you more usable light and it lets you see in the rain and fog VERY much better.  No sub for yellow fog lights, though.

If your lens isn't glass replace it all with E spec and be done with it.  If it is you might try some halogen bulbs.  And I didn't say increase wattage cause that is a bad idea.  Daniel Sterns can work up a valid solution for you. 

Read the recent thread about "fog lights" for an alternative to Sterns.  So very much good info in that thread that you should not miss.

What did Marathon say?  You can't be the first.  Maybe they have a lens/bulb that works and is cheap.   Now just figire the odds on that.

John

—Pla
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: December 29, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »

Sorry to be late to the discussion.  The other folk who are touting the E code optics are on the money.

If you look at the second set of pictures http://www.newellclassic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785 you will see photos I took of the stock setup on my Newell and the E code lights. I set the camera on manual, and I only replaced the lights on one side at the time I took the photo. You can see what people are talking about.

Second, I do research and development work on lenses that go inside your eye when you have to have cataract surgery. I know a little bit about optics. It is extremely important to have a properly designed reflector, lens, AND a bulb that is centered in the correct location to acheive good lighting. YES, a lot of the aftermarket stuff puts out a ton of light. You can see, but you blind everyone else. As bright as my lights are I have NEVER been flashed by an oncoming driver because the E code lights put all the light down on the road. It is hard to sort through the marketing and Ebay hype to know what works and what is dangerous. My advice is stay away from high power or "super bulbs" in DOT housings.

I got mine from Stern. He is not cheap, but neither is having a wreck because you can't see.

Cody, the other thing you might want to consider since you have the very small rectangular housings, is the smallest projector lights 50 mm in an E code setup.http://www.rallylights.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=projector  You could make a polished SS plate with cutouts to fit the space left when you remove the square beams. That would look super cool.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
cody

« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2009, 04:14:56 PM »

The lights I have are the big square ones with only one to a side, not the square quad setup.  The susuhanna lights I can't use, they are illegal in michigan becuase the high beam is limited to 55 watts and the low beam is limited to 35 watts according to michigan vheicle code.  More powerful that that are allowed for off road use only.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 04:21:09 PM by cody » Logged
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2009, 05:23:50 PM »

The lights I have are the big square ones with only one to a side, not the square quad setup.  .... clip ....

Same as my 1987 S10 Blazer. I installed E Code Cibies from Daniel Stern and have found it impossible to outdrive them...even at 100mph. (I'm 56 years of age)

HTH

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
Dave B

91 Prevost Liberty

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2009, 05:31:23 PM »

I have a 91 Prevost/Liberty and my headlights were also poor.  On the POG board I ran across a post where the Prevost headlights were replaced with those from a 1988 Ford F-150.  Being a little skeptical (cheap), I went to a wrecking yard instead of the Ford dealer and got a pair ($40 vs $200) and tried it.  First I replaced one and then compared the old and new and there was a noticeable difference using the original bulbs.

I am not saying that this is a better fix than the previously suggested Cibie or other lights, just that this is a simple option that improves the poor headlight performance on the Prevost with the single rectangular plastic headlight assembly.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: