Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 18, 2014, 05:32:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaving at 5 am to pick up silver 8v92 for repower  (Read 6591 times)
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 03:29:03 PM »

The exhaust/Hot side is fine the intake/cold side has one blade with a small 1/8" to 1/4" traingular piece missing and a couple small ripples on two other blades. i would take a picture but it's dark out and way below zero outside.

Thanks for the airflow answer, that is exactly how I thought the air traveled into my intake ports but a friend reminded me that most small 2 gasoline two strokes actually route the air through the crankcase and I needed clarification.

Zero clearance how do you feel about those "ebay" trubo's that we see so often. Is it just not worth taking a chance on them?

Thanks,
Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2010, 03:30:32 PM »

Rick, can you look on the back of the blower and tell me if it is has a bypass it is about 1 1/2 round 2 inches tall and will have hose from it back to the blower and will be helded in place with a horse shoe type clamp with 2 bolts.  

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 03:33:55 PM »

The exhaust/Hot side is fine the intake/cold side has one blade with a small 1/8" to 1/4" traingular piece missing and a couple small ripples on two other blades. i would take a picture but it's dark out and way below zero outside.

Thanks for the airflow answer, that is exactly how I thought the air traveled into my intake ports but a friend reminded me that most small 2 gasoline two strokes actually route the air through the crankcase and I needed clarification.

Zero clearance how do you feel about those "ebay" trubo's that we see so often. Is it just not worth taking a chance on them?

Thanks,
Rick

The speed that the turbo is turning, and the potential for progressive damage would give me concern to stay away from any kind of cheap turbo, but rather an OEM like Reliabilt which would have some warranty
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »

Clifford it does have the blower bypass valve

Dave, the only reason I ask is sometimes those things are brand new OEM equipment. There is one on ebay right now that is selling for alot less than dealer prices but it's for a 6V92.

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Zeroclearance

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 05:39:04 PM »

There are some great deals on Ebay IF you know what your are getting.   I have bought turbo cores off Ebay with the intention of rebuilding the turbochargers.   If you do buy a core, do it with the mindset of rebuilding it.   Unless it is a factory Detroit New/Old stock or factory reman.  Do not mix and match Detroit turbochargers.   You will not be able to run a 6V92 on a 8V.    If you want to jump up to the TV85 that is a very good turbo.   

Right now with your damaged compressor wheel you will be into a overhaul/rebuild around $675 to 750.00.   If you have a worn bearing bore or seal bore in your bearing housing or turbine wheel damage the cost will quickly add up.   

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: