Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 05:22:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Xantrex SW 4024 Inverter  (Read 2616 times)
paul102a3

Ignore
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:17:40 AM »

Many of you that have the SW 4024 inverter may know this already but I just found out so I thought I would post it for informational purposes.

The SW 4024 has 3 programable relays in addition to the generator start/stop relays.

I just reconfigured my battery layout which makes venting the Hydrogen a little more difficult. While I don't think there will any issues I wanted to be safe so I used one of the relays to start and stop a brushless computer fan to exhaust any build up of Hydrogen when the batteries are gassing.

I have flooded deep cycle batteries that require 29.6 volts when in bulk charge and 26.4 volts when in float charge. I set the relay to trigger the fan at 28 volts and to shut it off at 26.8 volts. Using these setting, the fan comes on within a minute of the charger starting (long before the batteries can start to gas) and shuts off long after the batteries have stopped gassing.

Now I am wondering what to use the other 2 relays for? Maybe have a warming blanket for the battery bank that stays on when the charger is in float mode but shuts off when the charger kicks into bulk mode. I know, too much time on my hands!

Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »

I don't charge my batteries with the 4024, I just use solar panels for that purpose.  In the day time here in Yuma I kill the AC line input to the inverter and run on it alone to reduce the electric bill. Most of my consumption is run from the inverter and the batteries go uncharged at night when running heat from them (2 diesel hot air heater going). Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
Bill B /bus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »

Now I am wondering what to use the other 2 relays for? Maybe have a warming blanket for the battery bank that stays on when the charger is in float mode but shuts off when the charger kicks into bulk mode. I know, too much time on my hands!

Paul
As you did I used one for the battery vent fan.
The second one is used to cross tie to the generator battery when on float voltage. No alternator on generator.  Since float voltage would only be present on shore power or generator it works to keep that battery charged.
Did you remember to write the relay number and set points by the 4024?

Bill

Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT70
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 04:49:39 AM »

Bill,

That's a great idea to cross tie the genset battery.

I did write the set points in the manual as well as listing them in the original post. If I lose the inverter manual, I can do a search here and find them.

Thanks for the tip.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: