Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 26, 2014, 04:46:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: picking a paint color  (Read 5181 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2010, 06:09:50 AM »

What kind of gun do you have? I bought a Devilbiss gun and could not get it to work right, went to Harbor Frieght and bought two cheap guns for 15 bucks each and they worked like a charm. I took the Devilbiss to a painter friend of mine and he didn't have any luck either, must have been a lemon.

Practice, practice and more practice to get it right! Wink

Have fun! Grin

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
cody

« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2010, 06:28:13 AM »

Crown, it's an old cabinet makers phrase, it means preparation is the key, the finished product is the result of each step being done just right, take your time and pay attention to each little detail and don't listen to those that say you can't do it, of course it's going to be hard, all new stuff is hard the first time but careful research, asking questions and doing your homework with each step and it'll turn out to be a job you can take pride in.  I probably should have said 'break a leg' lol.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2010, 06:51:33 AM »

cody was just joking about brush john have a good day

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2010, 09:38:36 AM »

Laugh all you want at the suggestion to use a "brush".  We had our first child in Berlin Germany in 63.  I bought a used chest of drawers/cabinet to use as a changing table/baby stuff chest and set about sanding and filling little imperfections.  I was going to finish the thing with spray cans but my brother-in-law, a painter, told me to buy "DuPont" enamel and use the brush he gave me.  That thing came out looking like it had been dipped in paint at an auto factory.  Flawless and not a single brush stroke anywhere.  I have never seen a product like that in this country...ever.  And any credit to the painter can be disregarded.

In San Diego, next to the beach, in an RV camp ground, I talked to a guy about having my S&S painted.  He pointed out that he had painted his Class C with a roller using Bath and Kitchen water base of the highest quality.  It was semi gloss and from ten feet away it was "very nice".  Up close and looking hard you could see roller marks but mostly it had laid out flat.  Get a hold of "Ripley" was my advice.

I had one problem with that primer sealer that cost me some time and was avoidable:  Remember that stuff about needing Primer sealer to keep the new paint and its solvents away from the old paint to prevent crinkling?  Well, the primer sealer itself will crinkle the paint itself at the spots where the old was sanded clear thru.  I had to resand and remask an entire panel because of that.  At those points/areas you need to dry spray the sealer a few times and let it dry and finally apply the proper final coat of smooth(wet) sealer.  It isn't the part about having to wait for the crinkled primer sealer to dry hard enuff to sand or the sanding with 320 wet or the remasking or the reshooting with primer sealer or the 3 hour set back or having to deal with that new dust....it's not that that ticks you off.  Naw, it's the PRINCIPLE of the thing. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Talk long and listen hard to the guy at the painter's supply store.

I have used that Harbor Freight gun and it worked well for me, also.  A bad Devillbus is a fluke and they will replace any mfr defect with apologies.

Have fun,

John
John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »

I agree on not laughing at the brush. Awlgrip is routinely painted with a brush on big yachts where they have emission laws. they roll it on then come back and brush it with a certain hair brush and they come out flawless when done right
steve
crown

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2010, 07:33:56 PM »

now that i read about painting with a brush it just reminded me of when i was a kid about 16 or 17 and someone
gave me a 50 buick fastback and i think it was my grandfater who gave me this old can of paint the can said brush
on a new finish to your car and i did looked good

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
bottomacher

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2010, 06:50:40 AM »

In 50+ years of spraying paint, I have never found an autobody supplier who wouldn't answer questions, but I have found several who answered them wrong. Paint is changing very quickly (it will be water based by 2020) and involves some very exotic resins and other chemicals. Every manufacturer offers written information on their product. Get it, read it, and then ask questions. The best source of accurate information is usually the regional salesman; he has to know why his product is better (or worse) than everyone else's, and he won't base his answer about epoxy finishes on his experience at squirting nitrocellulose lacquer back in his prime in 1950. Painting a bus is a big job; you don't want to do it twice.
white-eagle

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2010, 06:54:19 AM »

i think you need an experienced brush painter who has the proper hair thickness brush.  Bright Red with bright green leaves.
Fran and I can get that bus painted in just less than 2 months if you just send tickets to get us out of winter here in central Florida!
Can we put the Eagle on a train and zip right down there, John?

Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 07:38:29 AM »

Our ability to purchase auto paints without a booth that meets proper OSHA standards to paint in might be changing sooner than we think.

A friend of mine owns a auto detail shop in SW Missouri. He has always purchased his painting supplies from Oreilly Auto Parts. One of the managers came to his shop last week asking him to fill out a compliance form and that if he did not they would no longer be able to sell paint to him. He said the guy told him everyone that is not up to standard with a booth etc.. has a year grace period to do so. He does not have a booth rather a 80' x 100' shop he does everything in.

Just thought I would mention this to anyone that is a do it yourselfer. It may be different in other areas but I would assume something like this is OSHA and has been coming for a long time now. Don't just take my word check it out. Like I said this was passed on to me by someone that buys allot more paint than me.

So if your going to paint your own bus you might ought to get-r-done  Grin Grin

Bryan
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2010, 11:49:10 AM »

If you want to know what is coming to you local?Huh then look to Kalifornia.  California leads the way and breaks the trail for the nation.  Feel any way you wish, personally.

If you want to know what Kalifornia "will" be doing??? look to what is being discussed and decided in academia.  There are professional/scientific journals on every nuance of a subject that you can imagine and the info within those pages outline the future thrusts with a given field.  You needn't sit even a minute in a boring classroom listening to some "know nothing" professor that never even "runned" a business or "earn't" a honest nickel. 

I should think that a HUGE building with an air volume the size of a small county should dilute the fumes to a tolerable/safe level.  After all, the fumes are being expelled into the open air outside the booth..right?  I mean, right?  Actually I don't know if the modern booth has chem filters in it and I am lost as to what "safe" levels of concentration might be let alone how to measure them.  I do know that some regs are written to simplify enforcement or even make it remotely possible and, in almost all cases, financially feasible within the tax base.  I do know that the exceptions dramatically increases the cost of enforcement and it is enforcement that gets cut first so they tend to keep it simple at the outset.  Soon there will be political pushes to "get the Gummint outta our bidness" so we can make a cheaper product and, this is my favorite part, "pass the savings along to the consumer."  Getting back to the original subject:  When I painted inside a building I shut down all the ventilation fans and closed all the doors and windows tight.  You know?  The absolute most important thing was D U S T.  It wasn't a paint booth for krimeny sakes.  And none of the paints back then contained cyanide or other even more interesting chemicals.

Thanks for the heads up Bryan and know as fact that if I were going to paint a bus I would be taking your advice and getting to it pronto.   Not pick'n on ya here.  Honest!

That's enuf!

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2010, 11:51:52 AM »

Crown,

What pigments are you going to mix in?  Post a pic of the final color so all can see how you make lemonaid from 14 gallons of lemons.  You da man with da VISION. Grin Grin Grin

Thanks,

John

—Pla
crown

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:25 PM »

tom & fran how are you doing we missed not seeing you this year at bussin 10 your welcome to come vist
 it was cold hear this morning low 70 keep in touch john / lidia & princesa

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
crown

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 01:38:59 PM »

ok to answer a few ? i went and talked to the paint shop first i found out i need wash primmer for all bare alum.
 and you need to paint or prime in under 1 hour very costly but good news at the warehouse were i got the paint
 thay had wash primmer so i scored another deal  2 i found out sherwin williams has there office / warehouse 20
 min. drive from my house so i am going over to talk to there teck guys next week. my paint was imported from
 the usa ( better ) most sherwin williams paint comes from mexico 3 for those that dont known or remember i
 am from new jersey ( hi nick ) but have lived most of my live in costa rica the bus will be comming to the usa
 and will stay there ( someware ) as we want to tour the usa and meet as many of you as we can and go to many
 rallys i will need to fly home every 3 months for docters and meds thanks john & lidia

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: