Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 04:03:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I use two strings of golf cart batteries or is something else better?  (Read 1209 times)
belfert

« on: July 29, 2006, 06:03:08 PM »

My original plan for house batteries was two strings of four 6 volt golf cart batteries each.  The reason for golf cart batteries was they are the only true deep cycle batteries available for a reasonable cost.  I've since seen recommendations not to use parallel strings of batteries.

Are golf cart batteries still a viable option, or should I look elsewhere for true deep cycle batteries that I use only one string?

AAA Battery, a Trojan distributor, recommended four 6 volt L16H batteries, but at $240 each, I really can't afford them.

Brian Elfert
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 10:50:06 PM »

The T105 Trojan 6v golf cart battery is the most popular.  While there are more powerful batteries in the same size, the T105 has thicker plates and the plates do not go down as far towards the bottom of the case, hence a longer lived battery.  The mere fact of being able to handle them your self (not like the 156lb 8D's I got) is worth it.  Personally, would stay with more of the T105's rather than a few of the L16's.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 05:49:17 AM »

Brian,

Whichever battery you choose, to insure longevity, You should make sure that:

1- They will all be from the same production lot & Mfg. Date
2- They should all be at the same state of charge when you purchase them
3- Each of your banks be of the same amp hour amounts
4- That they are properly vented

One shorted cell in one battery will cause your charger to overcharge or under charge all your batteries!

Good Luck
Nick-

« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 05:52:56 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
edvanland

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 01:24:00 PM »

I just changed my MCI 7 to 8 golf cart batteries where, don't know the exact wording, they are all wired together and produce 12 volts.  Now I can go 3 or 4 days without starting the gen or engine.  If I need the air that is another story.
ED
MCI 7

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 09:18:39 PM »

Brian, the reasons that the T-105s are less money is because they are not as efficient as T-145s while discharging and recharging. The Peukert exponents for T-105s and T-145s are at opposite ends of the chart. They are also not as durable as the L-16s. L16s are built for a service life of something like 12 years.

I take it that the retailer wanted less than half of the price of the L-16 for a golf cart battery. I guess that one question is how much less. Either way you're looking at 500 lbs of batteries, but the L-16s are around 125 lbs.

I have seen shorted cells in golf cart batteries, but not in L-16s. If you get a shorted cell in 2 years, are you just going to replace the one battery? Do you realize that if you get a shorted cell, the string with the short will overcharge and use water, while the other string will become discharged? That neither string will produce anything like normal power?

One tip for those who haven't run into it: if you go to water your batteries and you find one cell has a normal amount of liquid and all the rest are low in that string, the cell with the normal level is shorted; that is, it has a high rate of self-discharge. A cell like this will run itself down overnight or in a few days.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 09:20:14 PM by pvcces » Logged

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: