Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 20, 2014, 02:53:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's a wonderful day the bus god's were with me.  (Read 989 times)
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« on: July 30, 2006, 12:03:44 PM »

The bus god's were with me today.
The right front tire on the old buffalo needed to be changed out.I had a like new Goodyear radial 12RX22.5 so it would be a match with the left front tire which is also a Goodyear radial 12RX22.5.
I had in mind that the Bridgestone with lot's of tread that was on the right front would make a good spare.
I got all of the tools out, 20 ton jack, torque multiplier, Budd nut socket.
I then broke the torque on the lug nuts and jacked the old Buffalo up just enough for the tire to clear the ground.
I also used wooden blocks under the axle just in case the jack decided to fail which it didn't just wanted to be safe.
Removed the Budd nuts and slipped the tire and wheel off of the hub and when I looked at the inside sidewall of the tire there was a 3"X6" hole where the side wall had failed the tire still held air and went down the road with any problem.
Installed the Goodyear 12RX22.5 and now it back on it's feet so to speak.
I am glad I found it at home inside of the bus barn out of the sun and not on the side of the road late at night.
I do not know the age of the Bridgestone tire.
Folks check your tires and be safe.
jlv

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »

John, 

Thats is good news.

You must be living right. Wink

And a goods "heads up" for those with questionable tires

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
roadrunnertex

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 12:53:19 PM »

Ok! I went out and found the DOT date stamp on the sidewall.
3UD229 so if I am reading it right it means the tire was built the 22nd week of 1999?
Middle of June 1999.
So the tire is 7 years old correct?
jlv
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 08:53:30 PM »

That's the way it looks to me.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher