Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 19, 2014, 08:59:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not incur forwarding fees when you are on the road.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: going to California,  (Read 3885 times)
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2010, 12:32:48 PM »

I have the privilege of going to Sunny California in June for my Granddaughters high school graduation. Very exceptional in that she was not supposed to live over 3 years.
 The question is would I have any problems with taking a Texas bus,Licensed as a motor home in to California. Would it have to be inspected as to pollution ,etc.

I would appreciate any info or advice.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 01:04:23 PM »

There is no problem John but if you are blowing a great amount of black smoke they frown a little.
There is no inspection only for fruits and nuts they have enough of those ,I live 4 miles from the CA line and it has never been a problem for me traveling in CA. 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 01:06:27 PM »

I have seen many buses moving around Northern California, licensed in other states and do not see the highway patrol causing issues.  You may want to contact a commercial bus company in Reno to find out what they are facing when traveling into California. Granted, I do not hang out at the truck scales or agricultural inspection stations to validate my random observations.

Good luck!

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
PP
Will & Wife

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »

I've never had a problem going into CAl. They ask if we have any produce, we say no, and on we go. I did have a problem trying to go see the Hoover dam though. Homeland Security made us unpack the entire bus, went through all our belongings because they were convinced we were carrying explosives, and then told us after the fact that we had to use the truck route anyway because of our lenght and could come back with our toad if we really wanted to see it. By that time it was night and we just took the truck route into LV. Some people do not have a sense of humor. Will

Note-after reading what I just wrote, I should probably explain why we got singled out. Partly because of my off-kilter humor to their questions (I not only have an authority complex but I work ocasionally for the Feds) and partly because we don't have a permanant address. Our DL's just state 'Continuous Traveler' and that made them suspicious. hehe (Like I could seriously consider blowing up this beast after all the money and time we've invested in it-idiots)
How do I go about deleting this post? Grin
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:09:36 PM by PP » Logged

Just Dallas
Bus Conversion Stuff on a Budget

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »

Removed
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 11:03:10 AM by Now Just Dallas » Logged

I'm just an old chunk of coal... but I'm gonna be a diamond someday.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 02:58:10 PM »

Good story Will!

BigJohn,

I've never had a problem either, just make sure you don't have any nuts on board! Grin

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
leonaiz2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:05:09 PM »

I had a situation like PP's reply; we were trying to go over Hoover Dam and was stopped.  We were packed from stem to stern and up (moving).  They gave us a choice to pull everything out or taking a route around the dam.  Guess which one we chose?
Jerry32

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 03:39:47 PM »

I go through parts of ca and never seen any problem. also have crossed hoover several times with no problems. Jerry

1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 04:04:00 PM »

Paul, would Blu be able to gothrough check?

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 04:19:54 PM »

I'll let you answer that one! Roll Eyes

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 04:23:11 PM »

Christi and I are on an ext. stay in Ramona, CA (SD) and we have had no problems coming or going. AZ plates. All the Best, M&C Grin

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
usbusin

'60 PD4104-4355(sold) Now Freightliner Conversion

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 04:59:53 PM »

Man, does California really have this bad a rap!  Being a fourth generation Californian and having lived here most of my life, please it is not all that bad! 

There are many reasonable people who live here, even bus nuts!  Please come and enjoy our wonderful state, just don't think that Los Angeles is really all there is to California (no offense TomC, my daughter lives in Long Beach), but in our extensive travels throughout the USA and Canada we tell everyone that we live in a town with 270 population.  They think L.A. and Hollywood is all there is to our state. 

Come and enjoy, there is still much open space, quiet rural areas, beautiful coast line, mountains, desert, you name it.  So, please come.  We won't bite!!

Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years Ustruckin' is our 2001 Freightliner truck conversion
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »

BigJohn,

I went through California in 2008. No problem aside from the Border Patrol car chase about five miles inside California. That was equally troubling since there is a max 55 speed limit for our size vehicles on the Interstates and the perp passed me on the right side shoulder while the Border Patrol vehicle passed me in the number one lane. I told my wife what was coming at us. She still jumped when the perp flew past on the shoulder. My only comment to her was, "Welcome to California!"

Yes they do confiscate, not just inspect, any citrus fruit in the vehicle. The did not inspect any of my "nutz" at the checkpoint. I did have the opportunity to speak with a CHiP and was advised as long as I stayed in the far right hand lane and kept the needle at the posted I would not have any unscheduled meet and greets with his associates.

So good luck and safe journey. Tell your Granddaughet great job getting that degree and keep on going after more.

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 05:11:03 PM »

Gary, I love the Shasta area and I try to go there once a year now the southern the part of the state ? about the 55 mph speed limit with trailers no one could ever tell me if that applied to a tow vehicle behind a RV do you know

good luck
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 05:53:55 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »

John,

If you are going to CA, detour through Carlsbad Caverns. It was AWESOME! The self guided tours were great, and the ranger guided tour, or the lower cave was incredible! It was well worth the detour for us. So if you haven't been there...you should.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: