Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:06:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad day at the Scenicruiser Orphanage  (Read 17192 times)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« on: January 07, 2010, 04:51:42 PM »

I got a call this afternoon from my cousin to inform me they caught their 17 year old foster son selling parts off my buses to a recycler. They have receipts for at least 3 radiators & Alum iron mix. He took the radiators in yesterday & the recycler claims to have already torched them up.
I have no idea what else the boy has taken in. I'll be going to the orphanage in the morning to assess the damage.

Since we have the receipts, I will be pressing charges. The boy has spent time in juvie before for stealing from his foster mom's parents - they pressed charges & he had to pay restitution.

Do I have any recourse with the recycler? I mean, really, how could a 17 year old have all this heavy equipment stuff to turn in? Shouldn't the recycler have questioned a minor more?

I am so disgusted that the recyclers encourage this theft & vandalism by providing a demand for the goods. I would love to be at least a deterrant for future missdeeds.

I believe this boy is responsible for all the other vandalism that has occurred. But I can't prove it. I can prove the theft of the radiators tho, so I'm gonna pursue that as best I can.
The boy, "Chris', had a friend help, that friend has been helpful so far - I hope he continues to be . . . .

Any practical suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 04:53:43 PM by kyle4501 » Logged

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
expressbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 04:56:19 PM »

Kyle,

You will likely require the services of a lawyer. First take your evidence to a magistrate and see if they will issue a warrant for the arrest of the boy and the recycler. You may also want to touch base with the local District Attorney to make sure he is willing to prosecute everyone involved. Of course none of this will get your materials back to you and they are likely irreplacable. Darn shame some of today's youths can't seem to find any productive entertainment when they are unsupervised.

Good Luck. I am not a big fan of our local legal system. I hope yours is much better than mine.

Will

Will Garner, Jr
Southern Pines, NC
1991 Prevost Conversion by Country Coach
ArtGill

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 05:12:25 PM »

In the North, that being North Carolina they pasted some laws about copper scrap because of the stealing of power lines and grounding at Cell phone tower sites.  So check the laws about cell towers and powerlines.  But the most they require is ID.  The scrap yard around here video cameras also for ID.  That may provide more evidence.  Wish you luck.

Art

Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 05:24:10 PM »

Around here in Minnesota they require photo ID and they are supposed to pay by check.  I would think a check would only slow down a thief a little as they'll just take it to a check cashing store.

I have to admit the scrap dealer I use still gives me cash, but mostly I bring in $20 or $30 worth at a time.  When I brought in $60 worth they gave me a check which I just put in the bank.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:28:58 PM »

I think scrap dealers are used to dealing with low lifes and theives.  I won't patronize the scrap dealers in North Minneapolis because many of their clients look like the scum of the earth.  It doesn't help that they have a line of junker vehicles half away around the block waiting in line to get into the place.

Scrap dealers like these have got to know that a fair bit of what they accept is of questionable origin.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
cody

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 05:31:13 PM »

I feel your pain, my idiot SIL scrapped my Olds touring sedan, I would have sent him to prison except my daughter was with him and didn't know that I hadn't given him permission to turn a 13,000 dollar car into a 178 dollar scrap ticket. According to the dealer they have no interest in history only usable scrap, I'm convinced tho that the car is stashed away someplace but the police couldn't come up with it.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »

Adding to another post.

Most scrap places keep record of drivers license.

A record of every dollar and type of scrap paid to that person.

Lonnie

1976 4905
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »

I got a call this afternoon from my cousin to inform me they caught their 17 year old foster son selling parts off my buses to a recycler.

Do I have any recourse with the recycler?

Yep.  Call him tomorrow and tell him you're suing for $5000 per radiator unless they are returned.  They are original antique parts, with a value far beyond the cost of scrap.

He bought those parts from a MINOR CHILD, which opens him up for all kinds of hurt, including losing his license to operate, jail time, and having his tail stomped by other recyclers, who really really really are tired of being showcased on the news as being crooks.  Rumor hazzit that one Southern California scrap dealer was dragged out into the middle of the desert and given the chance to walk back to where he could get a ride home -- either 20 miles by road or 10 miles across country -- and informed that if he told anyone who did it, the next time it would be a 100 mile walk back.

But that's just a rumor . . .
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 08:06:36 PM »

It is pretty hard for the scrap guy to return the radiators if he already cut them up.  I see no reason why the scrap guy would lie about the radiators.  I can't believe he stands to make enough profit on a few radiators to not just return them in exchange for his cash back.

Have the police or sheriff gone to the scrap guy and asked for the radiators back since they are stolen property?

Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2010, 08:18:00 PM »

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for your troubles!  I hope this boy can somehow turn his life around but, not likely.. Sad

I have no advice to offer you but, wish you luck!

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
cody

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 08:39:04 PM »

Kyle, at some point it all evens out, my SIL took the grandkids christmas presents back to the store on christmas eve and then went out and got drunk, he got picked up for drunk driving and now is in a world of hurt, it all comes around at some point.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 09:05:08 PM »

Kyle,
Sorry to hear about this happening, it is as if you needed anything more to happen considering your orphanage.  What is the most valuable piece of property this kid owns if anything?  Would it satisfy you to take it off his hands in exchange for what he has done to you.  If the value is nothing to you then do what your heart says, he has to pay and will one way or other. 

Offer to take his personal property "Free & Clear" with a signed title if one is involved in exchange for his freedom, especially when he finds out this is grand larceny with the replacement cost of the radiators.  Perhaps he has expensive musical instruments, speaker systems, TVs, what he prides the most in life.  Offer to take this in exchange for dropping any charges of his theft, then sell them if they are no good to you.  Let him know the price of replacing has to be no less than about $1700 for each radiator. 

This will probably continue to happen by other freaking thieves in the future with the cost of metals going up etc. & they must know you do not live next to the orphanage boneyard.  Good luck buddy with what ever you decide.How did he know where your orphanage is anyhow??

Let us know how this all turns out.

Gary

Gary
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:56 AM »

Kyle,

Sorry to hear about this!

I have a few suggestions.....but they all risk jail time for the wrong person... Wink

I have a very, very low opinion of thieves....and no use for them.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
desi arnaz

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 04:51:36 AM »

for this kid and cody's s.i.L i have only 2 words...

"BLANKET PARTY"

thomas f  Bethlehem n.h
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 05:38:41 AM »

Kyle,
I believe I would take that bottle launcher you had at Arcadia, Shove the pipe up his -ss twist his arms to make fins,

Pour about 2 gallons of water down his throat,crank the air pressure to max.When the water comes out his ears,pull the cord!!! Grin Grin Grin

My opinion, let me know if I should modify the one I am building!!!!!

Ed

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: