Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 21, 2014, 03:13:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad day at the Scenicruiser Orphanage  (Read 17358 times)
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2010, 06:04:11 AM »

Good thing he didn't know about the frame or he might of brought a saw and started cutting. Angry

First step though may be to ask the cousin what they want to do about it.  Inform them of replacement cost etc..  They are making a riff in the family.  you will just be riding the wave

Don't say what your gonna do about it.  If the answer is not good enough, then do what you have to do.   Make sure you hold collateral if there is some sort of agreement.  IE hold the boys car and cell phone until he holds up his end, then you can give it back or something like that.

Also consider cutting off his lines of secrecy,  you can distribute public knowledge about him around his neighbors and the other neighbors around there. Sad

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2010, 06:12:53 AM »

Tuff love...do him a favor before he gets to far to bring back...

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 06:21:52 AM »

That is sad Kyle to relpace the stuff is going to be almost impossible to replace, my way of think somebody had to tell the kid how much it was worth for him to go through all the work.
Scrap dealers are like pawn brokers they bend the law for their own benefit some times 

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 06:23:29 AM »

It is pretty hard for the scrap guy to return the radiators if he already cut them up.  I see no reason why the scrap guy would lie about the radiators.  I can't believe he stands to make enough profit on a few radiators to not just return them in exchange for his cash back.

Have the police or sheriff gone to the scrap guy and asked for the radiators back since they are stolen property?

I had some aircraft parts stolen a few years ago.  The guy said that they had been cut up.  A week later, they were returned to me by the sheriff's department, who found them on the shipping dock. Scrap guys NEVER cut up ANYTHING that they can find a seller for, and you can bet that he figures some big radiators like those will sell to someone.

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 06:30:58 AM »

Kyle,
Dude I am so sorry to hear about this. Sounds like a tough spot to be in fer sure! (tuffer than having to pay the real owner for a bus that's already been paid for!)

If it were me I'd have a private talk with the foster parents (your cousin) and see what they think is best. As it may end up being them paying you the restitution if he fails too.

Also keep in mind that this punk is 17 and already developing a criminal attitude and history, so he may decide to bail on you/them/& the system and run away. Which would make it even harder to collect.
Now with all these considered if it is decided to press charges the prosecuting attorney will be on your side so you won't need to hire one.
Also since he is a ward of the state they may be financially responsible instead of your cousin! (for this you may need to have your own attorney Grin)

Whatever route you take tread softly until you are sure it's the way to go, then hammer him. He needs to learn now or he'll end up being a career criminal! (and still might, but at least you'll have tried.)

I'd also check into having the scrap buyer on the hook for an unlawful transaction of buying stolen goods from a minor. (which as said above will send a msg to the buyers that they will be held responsible for buying stolen goods! Especially when they immediately destroy the evidence so it can't be returned!)

Good luck, and let me know if you need a under age "educator" I know one who gets in fights jest because he's bored. (and he'll do anything Uncle Bryce asks him too! Grin)  
 Angry  BK   Shocked

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 06:44:14 AM »

My suggestion: Calculate the replacement cost of any missing parts (including professional custom fabrication where needed), and, as a family, agree that each dollar must be translated into an hour of labour spent by the kid working on the buses. Start with unskilled stuff (leaning on a broom or wirebrush), and maybe move him on to more productive work if he shows any aptitude. If he displays the right attitude you could maybe even introducing some extra 'cash payment' jobs in amongst the 'payback' work.

Handled properly it could do the kid a lot of good, and help get your projects moving too.

I recently read of a scheme here where young vandals are set to work planting trees and repairing the very recreation ground equipment that they originally damaged. Apparently they not only stopped causing similar damage themselves but became a very effective force in the community, stopping anyone else damaging 'their' trees or 'their' equipment.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »

Kyle,

I am very sorry to hear about this. That is very rough. I agree with the general consensus. Something should happen to the kid. No doubt about it. What? I don't know. Just make sure you get your rads back/replaced.

BK, I figured that you were gonna offer to come down, bring your lawyer, attack vehicles, yourself, and all your personnel, and settle things Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
crown

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2010, 08:09:27 AM »

kyle sorry to hear about this hope all is not lost  years ago i was paying to store my bus  fenced in the guy lived there i was the
 only guy storeing i would go check on it one day i stoped buy all ok a week later all wireing cut out with a ax dash gone alumminon
 missing i was sick called a tow truck moved it to my house that day. now i am rebuilding it  i came close to scraping the bus
 make that punk pay

john
 57 crown
 costa rica
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 08:40:20 AM »

Kyle here in Kentucky we have a law against anyone purchasing or in possession of stolen merchandise no matter what it is.  Go to the local police officials and if they are no help go to the state police.  This is police matter.
Bestekustoms
EAGLE

1969 EAGLE 05 1967 Eagle 04 1972 Eagle 05 +More

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »

Yea, 10-4..... POLICE MATTER..... I Bet You Money The Radiators Are Still On The Property Of The Scrap Dealer. I Bet You Money !!!!.

First Off They Will Hold That Stuff Until The Price Is Right To Sell. So Dont Believe There Gone. Someone Is Lieing (Lying)?

The Thing That Bothers Me The Most Is You Said......Other Metals....
I Hope This Punk Didnt Strip Your Buses To Bad.

Im Very Sorry To Here That Has Happen. I Have Had It Happen. And It Could Happen Again.  STILL.

Best Of Luck.
JOHN

"IT IS..... WHAT IT IS"
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 09:57:08 AM »

Kyle,

Here is another idea for you. Get the dimensions of the rad. Get another friend, that the scrap dealer hasn't seen before, and then have him go down there. He would just act like a normal person, looking for a radiator that size. The guy could say something like, "I know it is a long shot, but do you happen to have a radiator this size? I am willing to pay good money for it...yada..yada..yada."

Just an idea. Might work, if he still has them. Still take the matter to the police...

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
grantgoold

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »

John, you might even want to inquire about the radiators remotely using the Internet. Get online and access the metal scrapers network looking for a large radiator. These guys also may respond better if someone contacts them remotely or through another dealer? Just a thought!

If and when they say they have the units, contact the police and get them to go with you to the yard!

Very interested in how this whole thing works out as I think this type of vandalism and criminal activity is about to get a bunch worse in 2010.

Grant

Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California
busshawg

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:04 PM »

string him up by the eye lids and kick him in the balls till he blinks. I too have no toleance for this, and I hope you have a better legal system than we have up here, which if it is I would pursue. Where I live there is no backing for the law. We simply just get a police file # so we can claim insurance, so our premiums can go up.

Grant

Have Fun!!
Grant
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 02:43:13 PM »

Tuff love...do him a favor before he gets to far to bring back   Now that's the ticket.  Don't be an enabler, which is what you will be unless you bear down.

I had a similar situation, as I recently related on this board.  I let my attorney do the driving....he has the licence.  So here is what he did sorta.  First he sued everybody even remotely associated with that shop.  The partners were all culpable and the wife had a history of paying his help when they showed up at his home begging for their wages.  He even sued "parties unnamed".  They all owed me $35K supposedly.  You would be amazed at how cooperative all those folks became and how they "volunteered" to give depositions and testify.  They paid the $600 for their depositions to my attorney so he at least got something back for all his trouble near the outset.  I was delighted and I got to sit in the room while he grilled them.  They all had attorneys so the coughed a couple grand for that also.  Served them right for associating with a guy they knew was a dirt bag. 

You NEED your little thief to be scared enuf to rat out the scrap dealer.The dealer is the one with deep pockets.  Your attorney will find out from the cops if the guy is a serious suspect and how long he has been dirty.  You have heard me say "your attorney" a number of times....get it?  Tell him he can have all the money above the value of the rads and his 30% till you get even.  You may not have to invest a dime in this.  Some will say that this is a despicable way to behave and I say that those people are "repeat victims  most often.

Your att. will also have a hand in causing your local law to stretch their legs.  Let him be your wise council.  Just don't start off with "now I don't really want to hurt the lad's feelings or possibly alienate the rest of the enabling family", if they are.  And if one guy turns you down try another and compare what they tell you.  Your first consultation is free so you have no excuse.

Attorneys are despicable, unethical, merciless, corrupt prixks.  But yours will be your PRIXK.  Hire a gun and sleep well.

Oh and at his trial take an opportunity to speak to address the court.  Share that juvi has done no good and ask "his honor" to treat him like a man and trust that the system will work better in a penitentiary.  Don't forget to turn to the little scumbag and, with a soulfull look, tell him its for his own good. Then thank His Honor for protecting the family.  See where that goes and maybe present to the court all the letters from the rest of the family, expressing their own concerns, gave you after speaking to your Prixk...er... attorney. " Its outta my hands....the attorney is making all the decisions...wish I could help and please don't hold this against me."   If they were going to help they won't be offended and if they didn't intend to help where is your loss?

Your little scamp, traveling in the circles he does, may know of others that the dealer has purchased stolen property from.  Your perp rats the dealer and the dealer rats the other scum in the "hood' and the DA decides who he wants.  You little community activist you.

How's that?

John the meek and all set to inherit 

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
James77MCI8

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:23 PM »

For what it is worth, I bought a new radiatior for a 4103 five years ago and it cost me 1800.00. I believe that I had the top and bottom tanks so the replacement cost for a complete radiator would be more.

77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: