Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 16, 2014, 11:40:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heat while on the road  (Read 3900 times)
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 09:28:09 AM »

We have a 40,000 btu Suburban & run it whenever we need heat..... driving or not.

How much gas does that use?

For that matter, can you tell me the make and model of your LP regulator?  I need to find one larger than what I have.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 04:09:10 PM »

Nellie,

Unless you are in VERY cold country you can easily heat your bus with two small portable electric or LP heaters.

The electric ones are only about $20 at WM and the LP ones are around $70 at Camping World or any RV dealer.

The LP heaters do make a lot of condensation inside the bus but really throw out the heat, we've never used ours on the high setting yet. They use the one pound camping type LP cylinders which only last about 4-5 hrs. I have one of ours hooked up to a 20lb tank in the baggage with a hose which allows moving it around where I want it and it lasts much longer.

The electric ones have 1000 and 1500W settings and are very small and lightweight. If you get these be sure to get ones with thermostats, the others run all the time. If you are hooked up most of the time these do the job.

Both types work much better if you are able to isolate sections of the bus. Heating the whole bus at night is a waste of energy as is heating the bedroom during the day.

These are inexpensive and you can move the heat around to where you want it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:39 PM »

I use the coolant to heat running down the road. Defrost core and 2 heater cores. Also 2, 3 way valves. I run the coolant to the hot water tank with a 3/4 inch line welded to the outside. 1 valve allows heat to rear heater and 1 valve to the front for defrost and other heater. Both are manual (simple) so I can heat domestic water without heat in the heaters ( summer ) Both are truck type heater cores with 12v fans. I have a couple larger heaters from buses to sell here or Ebay if anyone is intrested.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:21 AM »

In my case, I don't use the bus enough to have seperate stationary and on rhe road heat sources.  I will just run my Proheat when going down the road once I get that system installed.  I could put in a flat plate exchanger for heat from the engine, but even that requires expense for a circulating pump.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2010, 10:59:11 AM »

Thanx BK. Since I am also Hot Rodder I thought it might be cool. And as far as little fingers, you're right, no crumb snatchers. But I have known a couple girls with little fingers!  Wink   Grin    Grin 
But either way, the fan has a decent shroud on it but I can always screen it if necessary. BTW, I am setting up another radiator fan as a "Fantastic Fan" in the vent hole of my 4108. It will be a BUNCH cheaper and them bad boys move some air and not too loud. I'll post pix when I get it done.

Ducting the heat is not do-able as you mentioned, Glenn, but then I think I will be ok. I really want it for heating the front of the bus while driving. For that I am VERY glad to hear small electrics will work. I use a small Pelonis in my office and also in the bus. I think I'll get another one. If you got an "A" Shell, just start watching around for a good deal on a radiator. It should be able to be built pretty reasonable since you have the shell. I also do have a light bar which really would be cool but not sure I have the room. I have it on the wall in my Hot Rod shop.

Also, BTW, I have a Big Buddy, which I do love, but like was mentioned, it puts out a butt-load of moisture. The 1# tanks can be rather expensive but I have the adapter that you can use to fill them off a larger tank so I don't even know what the 1#er's actually cost. I also have the hose for large tanks.

And here is my point and question: I also have a 1K watt Honda Gen. that just purrs like a kitten. I'm pretty sure it could run two electric heaters (??) so I wonder if it would be a better deal to go that route as oppsed to the drawbacks of using propane? Thoughts?

Nelli, do you have a small gen. that you could use the two small electric's? That might be the "hot Ticket". (No pun intended Grin) But if I had my druthers, I'd do a Proheat or Webasto when I got the money. Obviously, I don't right now either.  Grin Grin Grin

I think your setup is the best, Mike. But as you said, kinda pricey.

I've thought about your way too, Tom. When I get to that, I may ask and find out what you thought worked and what doesn't. I may even increase the size of my tank.
Thanx Guys!!!
Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
johns4104

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2010, 11:58:55 AM »

Chaz,
the 1k generator would only run one 1000 watt heater that is a pretty small heater. most heaters are like 1500 watt.
I guess you could run one on low.

John

PD4104-1859
In Sunny Arizona
Apache Junction Near Phoenix
Nellie Wilson

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »

You guys are the best!

Picking up so many ideas. And sure nice to know I'm not alone in muddling through alternative solutions. I look at some of these buses and think "Amazing what $$ can buy." I look a mine and think, "Amazing how lucky you've been."

But knowing other folks are 'making do' and getting through gives me great hope.

Some day, God willing, a Pro Heat. But today I'll just pray for a break in the weather.  Smiley

Nellie Wilson

Had to change a tire... Angry  got to put it on backward... Undecided  still trying to fix it on photoshop... Huh Roll Eyes Huh
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2010, 01:03:11 PM »

Chaz,
That Model A setup would look great in the middle of the dash at the top step facing the rear of the coach.  You could tie it right into the defroster line. 

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Chaz

4108, 8V71 w/auto .

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2010, 03:25:34 PM »

Some day, God willing, a Pro Heat. But today I'll just pray for a break in the weather. 
Hey, my buddy, who lives there, says San Diego is still fairly warm!   Roll Eyes   Grin  I know, fuel is a bite!
But as for fuel, ya might want to contact Charlie Davidson. He is running on waste veggie oil and seems to be doing real well with it! I gave him about 100 gallons or so on his way thru. He plays gigs all over and is getting a good network of "oil stops" together.......... just a thought.  Grin  You'd need to be willing to get kinda dirty and learn a lot about the stuff. Both realistic deterrents.

Glenn,
 That would be an awesome looking spot but space, the need to get into the dash and the need for heat a little further back lends me to believe it should be further back. But that would be a very cool spot!!!
Maybe in the side of the sink cabinet.  Huh Huh Huh

Chaz

Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: