Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 04:41:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Isle width question?  (Read 4434 times)
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:58:13 PM »

I have spent much of my weekend modifying or changing the drawings of my bus. I like an open feel to the interior but am having a little difficulty with isle width in regards to my dining booth and counter.

My question: Is there a minimum standard width in an isle? I was at a Monaco dealer several months ago and he mentioned 26". I want it as open and as wide as possible for moving around but some things would have to be changed. At this point I have 21" between my booth and kitchen counter which is not enough for me. So I will be making some changes.

Any codes?

Thanks,
Bryan
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 06:06:45 PM »

Ours is 3 feet wide. Our old couches allowed a 2 foot walkway, which was too small. The 3 feet is a good width.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
David Anderson

South Texas in the Eagle Ford Shale area

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:07:46 PM »

My clearance from dinette to counter top is about 26, an arbitrary number that felt comfortable for my behind.  Do what feels right to you, no codes I've ever heard mentioned here.

David
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 06:18:41 PM »

I liked the idea of having a bit of an "L" or "U" shaped counter but with the placement of the booth it hinders that. The only real choice I see is to make my counter more straight and that would give me 35" vs. 21". You can see the interior in the sketchup drawing I posted earlier today. Some things are a little tougher than others to put together the way you want with the space you have  Roll Eyes

At least I have all this cold weather to keep me inside to play with it  Grin

Bryan
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »

After 20 years of having a booth we changed to a small table and two chairs. What a difference. So much room now. The booth was uncomfortable and took up so much space. Other than that it was perfect.

Fred Mc.
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 06:37:35 PM »

Marathon does a floor plan I REALLY like with a L shaped dinette. They mount the table top on a slide that will also turn.

So that when you are not occupying the booth, the table pushes in towards the seats and gives a ton of aisle and kitchen space, and when you are eating the table moves to give you space.

The point is that mounting the table surface on a slide and turntable gives you the best of both worlds. I looked underneath and they use a simple hand screw to lock it down in whatever the desired position.

I looked at it REAL close, and I can draw you a sketch if you would like.

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:47:21 PM »

Fred,

I originally had a bar with an overhang and two chairs. But with a 14 & 12 year old still at home I thought the booth would be more advantageous. I also like having the booth for when you want a place to enjoy a cup of coffee with friends Grin The table and two chairs would be fine if it were just the wife and I but kids can get messy to and I have younger nephews I would not dare let eat on the sofa  Roll Eyes

Richard,

Is it on a website?

Thanks,

Bryan
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »

102" wide bus. 2.25" insulation with 1/4" plywood over= 97" interior width. Minus 24" kitchen counter top width, minus 42" wide dinette=31" space between which is enough for two people to pass.  Good luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 07:03:20 PM »

On seated coaches the law is 26" isle. But it's your coach now, do it yer way!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
CAROLINABOY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »

just remember to take in consideration the refer measurements, so you wnat have to much trouble if you have to replace it.

servant for JESUS CHRIST
cody

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 07:57:02 PM »

Mostly we went with a 42 inch booth that becomes a wide single bed, the seats are attached to a 36 inch pedestal that serves as storage and also has a nightlight under it that lights up the floor, also wired for internet and outlets, it gives us a 36 inch isle that can be wider if needed, you flip the table, pull a pin and the seats swing to the side allowing the refrigerator to move past it if needed.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 08:08:20 PM »

Cody,

Do you have a raised roof? It may be just the angle of the picture but it looks taller than normal.

Bryan
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 08:13:11 PM »

Anyone else have any pictures they want to share of dining and counter?  Grin

Thanks,
Bryan
cody

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:25:48 PM »

No raised roof, just the way the picture worked out I guess, we have about a 75 inch ceiling height. A couple of pics for ideas.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »

On seated coaches the law is 26" isle. But it's your coach now, do it yer way!

26" really?  For my first real trip in the bus I kept two of the original bus seats up front side by side.  That aisle sure felt narrow!  The second trip I removed the bus seat on one side and installed a captain's chair.  Much nicer with more room now.

I lost one seat, but there is still seating for 10 plus the driver.  If there are 8 or 9 people are all sitting up front it gets pretty tight.  Usually a few are sleeping in bunks so it isn't as bad.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 08:39:31 PM »

Thanks Cody,

Looks nice  Grin

Bryan
cody

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 08:47:52 PM »

Just a couple of ideas, both are 8ft.
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »

I had mine at 8' as well. I am moving things around along with the fridge. And going back to a center walk thru bathroom.

Thanks again,
Bryan
robertglines1
steam nut

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 05:44:47 AM »

old school tape floor layout and walk around,or make cardboard boxes the size of your main features and move them around til you get what you want. Remember height requirements for showers will limit placement of shower...If your big like me booth space is a problem,can't suck gut in enough..great for small kids though...FYI....what ever do it your way....Ideas go to prevost stuff and look at coaches for sale.some real neat idea's there.

Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 06:09:24 AM »

Bryan, Keep in mind that more width may be needed at shoulder height. I have been in a few different company built conversions. The smallest I saw was a 24 inch walk way, and it felt fine to me. I can measure my bedroom door if intrested, but I think 26 inch.  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 06:12:15 AM »

I used anangled kitchen cabinet. I am building pullout trays into the end tables and table between recliners. We havw a formal dining room, and breakfast at home that we don't use now.

Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 07:06:14 AM »

Bryan, Ours is setup more like a SS. But this is what we wanted. The smallest distance between the counter and the bath wall is 27 inches wide and the bedroom doors are 24.5 inches wide. Tom

Tom Yaegle
Sean
Geek.

'85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 07:22:20 AM »

Any codes?

Yes.  NFPA 1192 provides specific minimums for emergency egress purposes.  Any aisle or passage leading to an exit (so this includes the main aisle, since it is the path to the exits from almost anywhere in the coach) must be a minimum of 13" at its narrowest point.  Also, the exit door itself must be a minimum of 18" wide.  Lastly, an exit that is not a door must be able to pass 'an ellipsoid generated by rotating about its minor axis an ellipse having a major axis of 24" and a minor axis of 17"', which would really dictate that, in practice, most aisles should be a minimum of 17" wide.

I think you will find all these code-mandated minima to be uncomfortably narrow, so if you make your aisles wide enough for normal people to be comfortable walking through the coach, you will be well within the code.

FWIW, 24" is generally considered the minimum width of a doorway to be comfortable.  For aisles past counters, furniture, etc. you will want at least 24" of shoulder room, but below perhaps waist height you can get away with less, possibly as little as 17", although code allows you to go down to 13" as per above.

HTH,

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 07:36:34 AM »

Eric, that is beautiful cabinet work on your Eagle and I have question about the windows how are going to cornice the windows with them being so low and close to the coach are you going to cornice the windows ? 

good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 07:39:24 AM »

Eric,

The cabinetry looks great. Did you build all of it? I like the layout. That is similar to what I have been thinking about.

Thanks,
Bryan
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 07:40:02 AM »

On seated coaches the law is 26" isle.

Did you mean to write 16"?  Most MCI's have a 14" aisle; the federal standard for schoolies is 12", and I will bet if you go into your Setra and measure between two adjacent armrest pivots it's 16" or less.  Shoulder room, of course, will be more, but I'd be surprised if it's even 26" at shoulder height for shorter adults.

That, of course, all applies to standard seated coaches, which must comply with FMVSS 217 (exit requirements for coaches).  FMVSS-217 uses a 13" ellipsoid, even smaller than the one that I mentioned above for NFPA-1192 (here's the test procedure: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/staticfiles/DOT/NHTSA/Vehicle%20Safety/Test%20Procedures/Associated%20Files/TP-217-TB-00.pdf).  Once you start talking about ADA-compliant (wheelchair-capable) coaches, the applicable standards are FMVSS 403 & 404 and these dictate much wider aisles to accommodate the wheelchairs.  Low-floor transits, for example, must comply with these new (effective 2004) standards.  

-Sean
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:35:22 AM by Sean » Logged

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 07:47:32 AM »

Sean,

For some reason I knew you would be "da man" to produce codes  Shocked  Grin

I do not see how someone could live with 13". I am 5'10" and 170lb. Heck I would feel confined with that.

Thanks,
Bryan
Sean
Geek.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »

I do not see how someone could live with 13". I am 5'10" and 170lb. Heck I would feel confined with that.

As I said, most would find the code minimum to be uncomfortably narrow.

Note, BTW, the the FMVSS-217 emergency exit standards mean that you'd possibly have to squeeze through a hatch just 13"x17" (17"x24" for RV's per ANSI-1192), and I suspect there are quite a few adults who could not do that. We put a boat hatch in our roof, not only for emergencies but also to access our roof-top deck.  We picked the smallest size that seemed comfortable to us, and that was 19"x19"; even then, we've had guests look up at it and decide it was too skinny for them to attempt.  The moral of this story, I guess, is that if you are a large person, don't travel by bus, because the emergency exits may be a tight squeeze Smiley

-Sean
http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:37:32 AM by Sean » Logged

cody

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 08:21:59 AM »

Thar was something I had been puzzling over, how they get all those ellipsoids in the buses.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 10:33:45 AM »

Sean,
Thank you for catching that! Yes I meant 16" which is what Setra told us when we asked why the isles seemed so narrow. But in the model Setra we were asking about it has a drop ilse floor. So the seats hit higher up on the body and seem narrower than it really is. (compared to other buses like MCI)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
RichardEntrekin

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 03:02:54 PM »

Bryan,

This is the best pic I could find. It is shown with the table pushed into the bench for maximum clearance.

http://www.philcooper.com/gallery/dat-00/IMG_0496_2_40

Richard Entrekin
95 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Huntington WV

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »

I have spent much of my weekend modifying or changing the drawings of my bus. I like an open feel to the interior but am having a little difficulty with isle width in regards to my dining booth and counter.

An "open" feel is based on the top half of any enclosed space.  This is why so many apartments and condos are designed with a big opening between kitchen and living room.  Your eyeline is up near the ceiling, not down where the chairs and table are, so that 26" will work for you, especially if you have a lot of windows to let in outside light.

Visitors to my coach comment on how open it seems, even though the luggage racks are still in place and the aisle through the front room is only about 24" wide, because I have left all of the original windows -- light comes in from every direction, and with the drapes open, you can see the landscape.

bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »

Richard,

Thanks for the photo! Thats a good look as well. So many choices just one bus  Shocked Grin

Bryan

Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2010, 07:47:41 PM »

This is what we have Bryan , If I one complaint it's the the china cab leading to the hall .

1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT
bryanhes

Eagle Model 10 "For Now"

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 07:56:55 AM »

Andy,

You are brave having the China cabinet in there  Grin No sudden stops I guess, lol

Bryan
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2010, 01:15:59 PM »

Hey Bryan , ya I know it wasn't my design, Eileen has a way of securing the dishes . Roll Eyes Pillows lol and we don't own any china  Grin

Tom Y

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2010, 02:00:45 PM »

Andy, Very nice.  Is the wood curly maple?  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Eagle Andy
Cowboy Coach

1968 Silver Eagle # 7481

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 04:30:58 PM »

Thanks Tom y for the nice comment. It is Birch  done by the PO

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 08:32:57 AM »

The Isle in the hallway is 24", which is enough-even though I'm 6'3" and over 300lbs.  Around the bed is 18" which is enough since that is just down at knee level.  Just remember, every inch you can use is gold.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: